Going to the far eastern states of Australia

OubaasDik

I was thinking of visiting in about February - is that a good time to visit North island and South island?

What should we be seeing?

Ok - New Zealand! February is generally a very good time as weather is very settled. Obviously if you want a ski holiday then winter is the season.

I prefer South Isl to North. Lets start on north

Auckland - you will land there - another city

Coromandel peninsula - very pretty (just SE of AKL)

Rotorua - Fart town (theres a smell lingering in town) - lots of volcanic activity, nice lake and surrounds.

Lake Taupo - If you like hiking do the Tongariro crossing, very scenic area, Huka Falls

Drive straight to Wellington (nothing much else that made me too exited)

Wellington - my ex city - can be windy/wet depends, get the ferry with your vehicle across to S. Island and cruise through Marlborough Sounds to Picton.

If you like hiking again - do part of the Abel Tasman national park track, Nelson is quite pretty.

Drive towards Greymouth (West Coast) nothing much at Greymouth, head south on the West Coast - very scenic and breath taking scenery (normally rains a lot), go and see Fox Glacier or Frans Josef Glacier.

If you have time get to Milford Sound down south - very scenic.

Queenstown - very pretty town and tourist driven - go see Arrowtown.

Queenstown - Wanaka road you will see the Cadrona Hotel, Wanaka has awesome scenery aswell.

Mt Cook national park (Mt Aoraki) - one of my best places as these giant alps dwarf you.

Christchurch - earthquake damage - no more cathedral on the square, catch a tram ride through town or a river punt on the Avon (how english)

Head up north on east coast and see Kaikoura

If you require any info on NZ let me know - I know the place like the back of my hand.

Wow, thanks, will do.

Just in case anyone is wondering WHY I want to go there - it's somewhere I haven't been before, and I wanted to test my new Aussie passport.

Otherwise we were thinking of Tasmania ...... map-o-tassie, *cough*cough*

And I was considering Feb as being a time when Perth is unlivable, and Canberra isn't totally marvellous either.

Good place to test the Aussie passport - Tasmania, another country!

Taking the Mrs and the sprogs on a holiday OBD? Good on you

I was thinking of visiting in about February - is that a good time to visit North island and South island?

What should we be seeing?

Sheep my friend, sheep.......and maybe some snow, and maybe a volcano......

BTW, have you asked Mrs Dik if SHE wants to go to New Zealand? Or is it all about where you want to go......lol

Don't forget to ask for "six packs of fish and chips" wherever you go.....;)

• Like 2

Taking the Mrs and the sprogs on a holiday OBD? Good on you

Sheep my friend, sheep.......and maybe some snow, and maybe a volcano......

BTW, have you asked Mrs Dik if SHE wants to go to New Zealand? Or is it all about where you want to go......lol

Don't forget to ask for "six packs of fish and chips" wherever you go..... ;)

Female sprog went to Canada without me and the male one doesn't even exit his bedroom, so I won't take them.

Might have to take the Mrs - how else am I going to get someone to carry my bags .....

May even see a deer or two and a chamois or a tahr.

Have to remember that they don't have Eskies, they have Chillyboxes.

That's you thong boy......all class ;)

You're not going hunting are you? To turn that chamois into a .......chamois.....................

......fish n chips.....fish n chips

We're going in Feb - it may be warm enough for the thong, but the capes will all be scraggly. Not worth tanning.

Maybe next winter seeing you asked so nicely.

Scraggly capes? :unsure::unsure:

As in http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cape - you can find it there with no further help. ;)

I DO admit I thought you were being obtuse by "pretending" bafflement, but the word / meaning doesn't seem to be in most online dictionaries.

I thought it was a pet word for your 'orchis'......as in your orchis are too scraggly to tan, but decided to show interest anyway......had you said, point or head, I may have clicked.........to your meaning of cape anyway. :blush-anim-cl:

With you everything is below the belt, isn't it?

I like that. :)

I was talking of the other end ..... strangely for me NOT below the belt. ;)

Now to play with my new toy - got a Slate from HP today .... what a palaver, but it's here .....

Off to play with your slate...........sounds like thong boy has gone Amish..........I jest, they look great, tell me what you think.....is it a nice toy