Buying AU$ notes/cash at OR Tambo Airport

wendym

Hi all

I'm in a flat spin. My OH leaves tomorrow for Perth and I thought we had everything sorted but now I read this on the Travelex website in the FAQ section......

Can one buy foreign exchange on a one-way ticket?

Yes, provided you are not emigrating and intend returning to South Africa within twelve months of departure.

He was hoping to buy some cash notes to have on him until he meets with the migrant bankers on Monday to activate his account. What's the alternative? Do we need to go to Nedbank for the cash? Can you get the cash there and then or do you have to order it? It's not a lot of money, only AU$500.

They have ATMs in Australia (even at the airports) and it does take foreign cards (just make sure you have a 4 digit code as having a 5 digit code has given me some issues in foreign countries)

Also Credit cards are accepted everywhere.

• Like 1

Thanks Erik :blush-anim-cl: I didn't realise you could use a South African debit card at the ATM's abroad.

You can - but the charges are quite high - so when you withdraw take out a larger rather than smaller amount - think our fees were about R35 a pop in Dec 2011

• Like 1

IF they ask, then he can say that he wants to activate his visa and he fully intends to return for you and the sprogs.

Failing that, a bank SHOULD have $500 in stock, he may end up with lots of $5 notes, but that shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

would agree wit eric If you use the ossi ATMs try budget per week, also try not use airport, it is ridiculous

• Like 1

In the end we got the cash from our nearest Nedbank branch. Had to produce passport, ticket and told the teller that he was only going to activate and would be back within 12 months.

• Like 1