Which Super is super?

OnYellowBrickRd

I have seen that there are many different superannuation companies out there. We are in Queensland and would like to hear advice from others before we make a decision on who to use.

Thanks!

I will always advise people to go with what they term an "industry fund" in Australia. They are deal in superannuation, have minimal charges and generally do a great job. The fund of choice for me is "Australian Super", I have been with them for the past 16 years and have absolutely no complaints. I would never deal with a bank or an insurance company for superannuation, when they make a loss in their other divisions it definitely has an impact on the superannuation section. In all those years that I have been with Australian Super, my fund has never shown a negative growth, even when there were hard times a number of years ago. We have chosen Australian Super as our fund of choice at the company where I work. Check them out at http://www.australiansuper.com/

Also, if you are planning on taking out life insurance, they can do that for you as well, at a much better rate than you will get if you go directly to the insurance company as it is a group insurance that they take out. The only difference is that when you need to lodge a claim you lodge it Australian Super and they in turn will lodge it with the insurance company. My husband's life insurance, for the same amount, with the same insurance company dropped by nearly 40% when we changed it.

You can read about "industry funds" here http://www.industryfunds.com.au/

• Like 5

I would second what Mara said. We are also with Australian Super. Couldnt be more pleased with my super's performance.

Thanx for the great answer Mara (and the great question OYBR :) )...Im slowly starting to think about these things too and will most definately check them out

because if you don't think about it whoever you work for will think about it for you! I have done temp work at my son's school and didn't even realise I was going to GET super, nek minnit a letter from the super fund, although it was probably serendipity because it happens to be with QSuper, the superannuation fund for current and former Queensland Government workers and their spouses, so hopefully they are not too bad.

My situation is similar to Eva's. Went automatically onto QSuper while working for the TAFE. Being government, the fees are low or non-existant, and the performance good. When leaving this government job I was allowed to stay with QSuper, which I happily did.

Since then I've heard anyone can go to them regardless of being a civil servant. So, OYBR, I'd look into this if I were you.

Good to know these things. Will definitely be considering Australian Super ;)

With most jobs you will automatically go onto whichever superannuation the company uses unless you opt for your own.

• Like 1

Will try to opt for AS where I can ;)

Great answers..we have just both got permanent jobs and my hubby definitely needs to choose one as the company just uses banksa super and I don't think it's good. We also need life insurances and from the sounds of it Mara we can just get that through super as well..so Australian Super offers Life Insurance and loss of income insurance? What about disability benefits? So new to all of this. Australia Super is a definite contender though I would say...

the key is to buy your insurance in your super fund - as you then pay for it with pre-tax money

you can get the full cover insurance in super-

the alternative is to do a self managed super - can be for a family of up to 4 which gives you control and has even more tax benifits - works similar to a pension and trust fund but costs a bit more i.e. must be audited every year so depends on your situation and needs

We are with Auscoal Super, they were judged Industry Super Fund of the year in 2012. We also have death and disability insurance and income protection with them, their performance rates along Australian Super at 6.3% and 6.5% respectively.

This might interest those looking for supers' Top 25 performing Supers over the longterm

Or this http://www.superratings.com.au/ratings/super

• Like 2

Thanks for the extra info AndreaL :)

That's what I'm bargaining on. Will definitely try and get AustralianSuper :D

In Australia, a few years ago, the laws were changed, so that employees could choose which superfund they wanted to belong to. There are, I think a different set of choices for the very large employers, but for the smaller ones, they have no choice, they have to pay your super into the fund of your choice.

If you wish to read up on the rules and regulations, then read this : http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/pdflib.nsf/LookupByFileName/superchoice_obligations.pdf/$file/superchoice_obligations.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can we belong to a super fund before we actually arrive permanently in Australia? We want to start contributing now already if at all possible.

Bbop, cannot answer that, but I do know that Australian Super are pretty good at answering questions, here is a link to them:

http://www.australiansuper.com/

Thanks Mara, I have sent them a message - lets wait and see :)

Bbop, if they answer you, I will also want to know, pls. Tx.

It will be interesting to see what answer you get. I just spoke to someone there, they told me that you can join on line, from RSA, HOWEVER, apparently due to tax constraints, you cannot place any money in your super until you arrive in Australia.

And according to what I heard, you can transfer your RA's to your super within 6 months of arriving :)

Do you mean we can transfer the cash value of the RA only (which in my case will be +- R10000, although my contributions to date amounts to about R80000,00)? Or can you transfer the whole value of the fund?

Whoever you go for, make very sure to find out what their fee is for transferring you money to another fund. At some point you will change jobs and you want your money to all be in the same fund, not have money floating around several funds.

I am not talking about a small fee to transfer your money - some funds will charge you 50% of what is in your fund to transfer the money!!!

Well Australian Super is not one of the funds that charges you 50% !!!