Reading 8.5 / 9

Writing 7 / 9

Speaking 9 / 9

Overall: 8.5 / 9

What a relief! Another hurdle bites the dust :ilikeit:

Stuart

That's excellent!!! Congratulations!

SAS

Well done guys! The strange thing while you're waiting for the results is that you know that you can speak/write/read/hear English, but you still worry about the results, so its a real relief when you get the nod!

Good luck with the next step!

C'Lou

Well done!!!! :ilikeit::lol::holy::holy::lol::lol:

Hey thanks for all the encouragement, it is really nice that another step has been accomplished successfully. You really need to take the long term view with this and look at it as a series of small steps; we started this over a year ago and it has certainly been a roller coaster emotionally and in many other ways.

Good luck to those writing soon and to all awaiting their results.

Stuart

Hi Stuart and Jill. Congrats. Tell me, how was the test for u guys? Any tips? We are booked for the 28th of April.

Hi Stuart and Jill. Congrats. Tell me, how was the test for u guys? Any tips? We are booked for the 28th of April.

Hey there,

Jill didn't need to write the test as she holds an Irish passport, I wasn't so lucky however. My only advice is don't stress about the test. It is really straight forward, especially the listening and comprehension parts. I went in with not a moments preparation and did fine. They test whether you are able to understand the language and some of the subtleties that accompany that. They don't test things like grammatical theory or parts of speech or anything like that.

Your best preparation will be to chill and go in confident and relaxed.

All the best,

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Well done!! It's so encouraging to hear that you did so well. I'm nervous every time I think about my test which is booked for July 21.

Would you recommend going in cold as you did? So many people seem to buy the packs to prepare for the test and say there are trick questions. Although I am English first language and a writer by profession I can't help being concerned about this hurdle. :angry:

Were the supervisors also very stern?

All the best for the rest of the application!

Hi Stuart

Well done!! It's so encouraging to hear that you did so well. I'm nervous every time I think about my test which is booked for July 21.

Would you recommend going in cold as you did? So many people seem to buy the packs to prepare for the test and say there are trick questions. Although I am English first language and a writer by profession I can't help being concerned about this hurdle. :angry:

Were the supervisors also very stern?

All the best for the rest of the application!

Hi Celeste.

I can't recommend what the best course of action for you would be, I've always preferred going into exams with a clear head and avoiding all the pre-exam hype. This was no different for me, I'd heard of all the specimen packs, downloaded one or two off the forums and had a quick peek at them but that was all.

I really wouldn't worry about this, if you are English first language with a basic grasp of the language you will be fine. The "trick questions" are really nothing more than giving you a statement and asking you about it in the negative. e.g. John liked this and this and the question will ask what John wasn't partial too. That sort of thing.

I can't comment on the general test, I did the academic but to be fair it was fine, just a little long. If you write, like I do, then you should ace it.

Good luck.

Well done Stuart and Jill! :angry:

Will be great to have you guys here - as you say, another hurdle overcome and another step towards your goal.

Gill & John

I wonder if there is any way around these tests? From what I'm reading, it does not seem so? We are Afrikaans, although we have been living in NZ for almost 4 years. When we immigrated in 2003, we only had to produce a letter from our employer to state that we are fully bilingual.

I must say that since glancing over the sample academic test you posted here cheryse i'm not as worried as i was before...especially since i'm doing the general test which i'm sure must be a bit easier than the one you posted. It is rather irritating though as someone else has mentioned before that they ask these "deep" sort of questions for the essay...but i suppose it has to be that way so that people can draw from their own opinions and world views. If it was factual info they were looking for who would pass?

thanks again for helping to alleviate my panic!

Well done Stuart and Jill! :lol:

Will be great to have you guys here

Thanks guys :ilikeit:

I wonder if there is any way around these tests? From what I'm reading, it does not seem so? We are Afrikaans, although we have been living in NZ for almost 4 years. When we immigrated in 2003, we only had to produce a letter from our employer to state that we are fully bilingual.

I don't believe there is. The requirements seem to have changed and you can only escape doing this if you hold an American, Canadian or UK passport. Jill was lucky as she holds an Irish passport.