First home-owner's grant FHOG

sianvz

Does anyone have first-hand experience with successfully getting a FHOG?

I have done some reading up on it and it seems we would be eligible as permanent residents having not owned property in Australia before (or anywhere for that matter).

$7000 towards our first home in Oz would be amazing! I know that there are rules and requirements but it all seems pretty standard.

Just want to hear if anyone has been through the process?

Edited by sianvz

I have, but it was a while ago now.

The bank who we got our motgage through handled everything (I guess 'cos they wanted the money to go into the mortgage account). There were a couple of forms to complte and that was it. Did it all in the bank when setting up the mortgage.

• Like 1

I have, but it was a while ago now.

The bank who we got our motgage through handled everything (I guess 'cos they wanted the money to go into the mortgage account). There were a couple of forms to complte and that was it. Did it all in the bank when setting up the mortgage.

Thanks, sounds like you don't really have to do much! Good to know :)

In NSW this grant only applies to New Homes.

It is different from state to state, some do new and existing homes, some only new, in some states it equates to $15 000 but will likely go down to $10 00 from january next year or even be scrapped.......very many things depend on what happens at election time.

In NSW this grant only applies to New Homes.

Has this changed *fairly* recently? That's disappointing if it is. Is a knock down-rebuild considered "new"? In order to build a new home you need to live in the sticks.

My sister got first home owners about 5yrs ago I think and it was definitely NOT a new home. I'd describe it as a renovator's "dream"

I see there's a "New Home Grant Scheme" and the "First Home Owner Grant (New Homes) Scheme." in NSW

I know in WA that you can buy any house or even build, you just can't use it for vacant land purchase or to fund renovations to an existing home.

The idea behind the first homeowners grant was originally to compensate for the introduction of gst, which had the immediate effect of increasing house prices (not land) by 10%, more recently it has been used to give a "kicker" to the construction industry.

The FHOG for eatablished homes ( $7000) has been phased out in favour of a $15 000 for new homes in NSW http://mortgageexpertsonline.com.au/first_home_buyers_info/fhog_Stamp_duty.htm