Looking for house to rent in Melbourne

Denzil

Hi All

I will be arriving in Melbourne the 29th April 2013.

I will be staying with some good South African's to help me get to my feet and sort out the rest.

The wife and 3 kids will only come after i have found a home.

We will be staying in Patterson Lakes and my work is in Carrum downs.

Does anyone know of houses for rent in that area so I can get my family there sooner.

I do not care about area or distance to travel. Lets say 50km away will be good enough if possible.

If someone know of a place to rent, the sooner the better if possible.

Post on here on give me a PM or my email adress is denzilthompson@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you

Denzil, unless somebody on the forum decides to rent to you privately, I am afraid you will not have much luck securing a rental, before you arrive. The local estate agents want you to view a property before you hand in your application. There may well be quite a few people viewing the same property, so if you were keen enough on the house, offer three months rent in advance, it has often secured the place for applicants.

• Like 1

Hi Denzil,

We are not far from Patterson lakes in Aspendale. I support what Mara has said above. We arrived and managed to find a house and move in within three weeks so while rental is tight on the bay you can do it. Especially if you are able to pay additional deposit on the property. We didnt have to fortunately.

Pm when you arrive and we can meet for coffee.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I do not care about area or distance to travel. Lets say 50km away will be good enough if possible.

Careful, travelling around Melbourne can be very different to travelling around SA cities, it all depends on what roads are available to you, what public transport routes, how many train lines or level crossings you pass, etc. 50km can easily turn into a 2 hour trip in peak hour.

As Mara pointed out, it's very difficult to secure a rental before you arrive. Rest assured though, if you're looking for something within 30 minutes commute of Carrum Downs, you should find something quite easily once you get here. Plenty of rentals in the area such as Cranbourne, Frankston which are pretty close to your work. These outer suburb areas don't generally suffer from the nightmares that some people have trying to secure a rental in the inner suburbs and city, and the rent is quite reasonable and houses new and large. I really don't see why you should cast your net any further than 20km from work at first. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the information.

I know that I must be there in oder to get the rental.

My asking about this was just to see what the feel is and if poeple know of big houses that are open so that I can go and look on the day I arrive.

AllisonW, I will give you a meassage as soon as I get there.

The more likeminded and friendly people I can meet the better I think.

Can not wait anymore.

• Like 1

You will pretty much have to go into the agencies and say you are looking for a rental, each will have different houses on their books and usually the rental list is updated on a particular day, for example Tuesday, so they will only let you know what is available on that day.

You can phone them, but it is better to go in in person and get to know whoever works in the office.

Viewings are very brief, maybe 15 minutes and there may well be several people viewing.

Try and be very organised and have your bank details, letter to say you are employed etc with you so that you can immediately fill in a form if you see a house you like.....houses go very quickly.

• Like 1

You will pretty much have to go into the agencies and say you are looking for a rental, each will have different houses on their books and usually the rental list is updated on a particular day, for example Tuesday, so they will only let you know what is available on that day.

You can phone them, but it is better to go in in person and get to know whoever works in the office.

Viewings are very brief, maybe 15 minutes and there may well be several people viewing.

Try and be very organised and have your bank details, letter to say you are employed etc with you so that you can immediately fill in a form if you see a house you like.....houses go very quickly.

Better yet, download their forms off their website (most have them there), fill in all your personal details and build up a "package" for each agency. Then if you like a place, fill in the address and place details and hand it in, while having a nice intimate 2 minute chat. That's all you'll get if the place is in demand, I've been to places where there were over 30 people trying to get in to take a look.