For graphic designers and those in the industry who can relate :)

sianvz

oh, yes, on websites.

Use this image but make it larger. No you can't you just copied image off another website so it is 72dpi, you cannot enlarge it will become blocky. Client, but why, when you make it smaller it is fine.

Also, that template and layout is not what we want/discussed, => us, but it is the design you gave us from your graphic designer. No but it is not right, it does not flow.... wtf!!!! So the client says, well you have done a lot of work but we are going to our friends company he uses. Us, yes, we know those guys, they are good but they are 10x more expensive than us. Client, no we will pay to get it right. Us, really, then why did you beat us down on price and require a POC. Client, no, its fine, just give us FTP access and bill us. Us, ok, well, we are reasonable, we will discount costs to 50% because you are unhappy on work completed so far as well as consultancy etc.., here is the bill as requested. Client, great, we will pay at the end of the month. Think we ever got paid, not a chance!!!! The client eventually had the new company copy the layout and system that the same company did for another division of the same client company and it took an extra 6 months. We were told we were too slow and we had the whole front end done in 2 weeks.

Lets just says, it is a never win situation with at least 50% of all clients.

The best is, client will say, see that site with all the animations and fancy menus and graphics. I want mine like that but different colours and logos. Ok, so aside from almost copying the other site, you do realise that site is done by a large company in a CMS for a wealthy client and probably cost about R200k. Yes, I know but can't you do it for us within budget. Whats your budget, R2500. Are you friggin serious!!!

What about. Here is the design etc.. agree on price and the job is done. CLient, oh we also want this extra feature or graphics added or function etc.. Us, you know that is extra and the whole system will have to be reworked. Client, can't you just add it on..... Um no but we will try.

We are way to soft on clients.....

Haha so true Mark! I'm an account executive so I'm on the receiving end of all the stupidity.

This is what I've dealt with recently:

Quote very wealthy client on printing of 500 or 750 business cards. Client: Ok can I please have 100 cards at the price of 750 cards?

Um no, what do you think this is Christmas?

Client says they want a "very basic" website, but maybe want to add a shopping cart facility at some point, they say they like the one like Woolworths has, is a budget of R2000 sufficient?

Um no, what do you think this is Christmas? We can't even make you a Wordpress or Joomla site for that much money, your shopping cart facility alone will cost you double that!

Can you please do SEO for my website, how much does it cost? I want my website to come up at the top when people search for [insert about 20 everyday keywords here].

Do you even know what SEO means or is? It's not a thing you add and pay for fool, do your research! If people could pay for their website to come up first on Google, trust me, you would not be able to afford it.

My PET hate is, "Dear [client name], please find a low-resolution proof of your artwork attached and confirm if you are happy then we will send off the final high-resolution artwork for print"

Client: I am happy thanks, but why are the images so fuzzy, can you make it better quality?

What part of low-resolution do you not understand??

I understand that this is our industry and I probably don't know a thing about engineering, but seriously, you should at least educate yourself on terms and costs involved in branding your business.

• Like 1

Oh, don't get me started on SEO,

We also have a digital print arm of the company.

Client, It is now Wednesday, Can we see the proofs before print. We need the whole job done by the weekend, bearing in mind this is a R40k print job.

Us, we need the artwork to do a proof, when are you sending it. Client, Friday morning.... Are you serious!!!!!

Client. I know you are busy and we have not done a proof or sent you an order number but we desperately need this printed and couriered to our client from durban to JHB by mid Saturday, Us, you do realise it is already after 5pm and this Friday????

Client after print job is couriered to JHB. Woops, the wording is wrong. Us, this is what you proofed and signed off on. Don't you actually check it? Client sorry, we will pay for it again can you have it sent tomorrow. Us, you do know we are busy and it is a 3 day job???? We do have work from other clients in the queue!!!

But, alas we do it all anyway as in the competitive market nowadays, no-one can afford to turn away any business.

• Like 1

The phrase "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" comes to mind! It maddens me that I can't tell clients that.

How about this one:

I've attached my version of some changes to my logo, please do the changes then look at it as if it was your logo for your business and decide if you think it is good enough. Then we do the change as they've requested and send it to the client (let's be honest, I couldn't care less to imagine it was my logo and my business, I have my own business to worry about). Client: Thanks for making the changes, but it still doesn't say "wow!". Me: Please elaborate!

The frustrations never end! Like you say, business is needed so we put up with it and deliver.

Edited by sianvz