A few years later

Lyn

We arrived just a week and a bit before you Lyn and I completely agree with every single one of your points!

• Like 2

Can I convince you two ladies to share your lives over the last 4,5 years please ? And of course any others out there.

We always share little bits here and there, I think newbies starting on this long emotional journey may feel a little less anxious to know that most of us arrive here and thrive. It doesnt happen overnight, you will have times of doubt, but I want newbies to know that what they are embarking on in a journey of self-discovery. You learn things about yourself that you never knew.

We dont want to gloss over Australia, but we also dont want anyone to think that they cant make it here. You can, and you will - and you will definately find your happiness again.

• Like 2

Really wish everything was sorted already and we could continue on our journey, but all in good time. Thanks for the pep talk ;)

• Like 1

A great post!

• Like 1

Thanx for your beautiful post Lyn. As always, your thoughts are clear and mature and honest. I really enjoy reading about the experiences of the newly landed and the not so newly landed :)

Its great to know that wherever we land, there is a support system waiting for us, and that we will be ok.

• Like 1

Thank you Lyn for your amazing post and your insightful PM that gave Quinten (hubby) his "we'll be right mate" feeling leaving us with the notion that no matter how old we are, how long our process takes or what hardships we endure once we land, we are going to be just fine!

I cannot wait to start afresh, to start our lives, and to get to the ball rolling the Aussie way.

To genuinely greet and smile at people, to 'pay it forward' as you describe, and not have people stare you down because you have done a good deed. To enjoy a sense of freedom and not look over your shoulder every five minutes. And to live the simple life ....

• Like 1

Thank you Lyn it was wonderful reading your story. My husband is part of a family business here in SA and for us it is great to hear of someone owning and running their own business in aus because that for us would be our ideal situation as my husband is used to being his own boss. I appreciate you being so real and honest with us that are beginning and don't yet know what to expect. I expect to miss my family and friends and africa as a whole but the thing I worry about is getting past that. Your post helped me to realize over time it will happen and a new normal will be found.

Thanks again !

• Like 1

without wanting to take anything away from Lyn's story but in fairness to letting people know how things are or can be here in Australia, friends of ours went into business twice on the Gold Coast and lost a fortune, for various reasons things didn't work out but I know he found being South African was mostly a negative for him... Aussies are big on Australian whatever...

Absolutely agree Eva, not everyone's experience will be the same. And also in all fairness I have to say that over the last 3 or so months business's in Canberra have all been saying that things are rather quiet, and many people are losing their jobs. I just heard right now on TV that CSIRO may be letting hundreds of staff go. Not good news.

Aussies are definately big on employing their own. 100% agree. We also know a South African who has not succeeded in business in Syndey - and when he asked the locals about it - they said it was his attitude. They said he was a good bloke to be around, but they did not like his work ethic. He came across too forceful, too arrogant, too pushy, too self important. Eva I'm not implying that your friend is in any way like this.

I guess alot has to do with what you are offerring. We are in the construction industry - shortage of traddies in the ACT. I think this may make a big difference.

I love ypur post, it echos so much of our own experience over the past seven years. One day i will try to put my thoughts down too

• Like 1

look forward to it AndreaL -

Eva got me thinking - so just to clarify - some new members may not remember me - so a little intro - I never ever wanted to leave RSA, I never understood why people were leaving - even those that told me horror stories - I just thought they would find the same issues somewhere else. I was actually quite rude about it. Have since apologised to friends who left the country. And BTW I was not born in RSA.

Our lives literally fell apart after the hijacking, my daughter and I spent many hours with doctors, counsellors, etc. We were suffering from PTSD and anxiety. Because you cant see PTSD doesnt mean its not a real condition. We just couldnt stay in RSA. Then we arrived in Canberra. I hated it. Hubby would go to work and kids would go to school. I was alone and very very unhappy. I didnt want to see anyone. I just didnt know what to do. Cried myself to sleep, I didnt want to be in Aus and I didnt want to be in RSA. I didnt want to go back and hear people say "I told you so ".

My daughter starting counselling sessions and I went too - we never paid a cent for these. Starting healing slowly, my beautiful daughter decided we should learn to ice skate - something she always wanted to do in RSA, but the area around the rink was dodgy. I promised her if there was a rink in Aus she could learn to skate. This little idea changed my whole life.

I wonder often why my maker wanted us to live in Canberra, we were heading for Perth - but the job offer came from the ACT. I believe He works in mysterious ways. We would not have made it in any big city. We were not big city people. The ice rink - not many regional towns have a rink - we went to the rink to buy skates, got chatting to the manager, who hears we are new arrivals. He tells us about the skating coffee club. Took me a few months to join. Dont enjoy new situations and people. Walk out the rink one day and the manager wants to know if I want a job.

The night of the hijacking - my dog who hates strangers - bites and barks - sits at the front of my car - not a sound from him. Later I go into the house, my husband runs me a bath, Im alone in the bathroom - crying and speaking to my father who died in my early 20's. I have a picture hanging on a wall in the passage of him - it falls off with a huge thud- glass all intact. Maybe I'm loopy you say - but in the 70's we were on our way to Aus - we had PR - we landed in Durban, my dad overstayed and we lost our PR. Somehow I believe this is where I am suppose to be.

So please dont think my life in Australia has been plain sailing - its been a long hard road. I apologise if thats how the post came thru. I want people to know that if you give the country a chance, if you can be patient and are kind to yourself, if you can live a simple life - there is no reason why you should fail to settle in.

• Like 1

Thanks for the really nice post Lyn. One thing I am getting used to is the relaxed way of life. Far less stress and worrying about what will happen tomorrow. Everyone works and does their share and people matter. We have only been here for 18 days and I am loving it in spite of all the stresses faced in the first 3 months. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Lyn, thank you so much for this post. I am moving to Canberra on the first of June and am going through that anxious stage when you think..."am I crazy to be putting everything at risk like this?". Your post has reassured me that it can be done and that perseverance is the name of the game.

Thank you for sharing and reminding me that this is meant to be an adventure not a "winner takes all" situation. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Thank you Lyn for being so honest and sharing so much with us. You used very wise words: "simple life". That summarises my experience of Australia. My life became far to complicated and rushed in South Africa and I was quickly pulled back to reality and basics in Oz. A very valuable life lesson!

With your business attitude I am not surprised that you have grown a successful business. I worked as a Business Broker in WA as well as Queensland, and there is certainly a feeling by many Aussies that Saffa business owners are often arrogant and self important. We need to accept and learn from this!

If you can proof the opposite though, they will welcome you with open arms, and actually go out of their way to help you become successful.

Good luck to all those entrepreneurs!

• Like 2

I just want to say thank you for this...it makes me very hopeful for a bright future in Australia.

:hug:

• Like 1

Thank you Lyn for your honest post, it really helps those of us still here in SA.

• Like 1