Information for sleepless thought

Denzil

It's me again!!! :ilikeit:

I will be going to Melbourne in 2 weeks time and thew family following in a month's time (If I can get a house or something in that line)

Now here is some of the questions:

1) I read that there is lost to do...always a bonus...how is the feel of poeple meeting up there for coffee?

2) I was with NSRI (National sea recue institude)...Is there something like that in Melbourne as I looked but could not find any

3) How many poeple here are in Melbourne and would like know of any snags there eg: weather, traffic, and such.

4) I have a daughter that is in final year of Primary school, any recommendations for high school, son in Primary school and baby at home.

It's just a few questions as the poeple i will be living with in the beginning said "We will sort that out once you are here", but I need to know to prepare.

Thank you

Denzil, I am in Melbourne, so I will attempt to answer some of your questions:

1. Happy to meet up with you and show you around the area I live in, if you are interested.

2. Sea Rescue, I think this may be what you are looking for http://www.coastguard.com.au/

3. There are plenty of South Africans in Melbourne and the snags are a whole new subject on its own.

4. I do not have children but I do know that there are some good schools where I stay, this from people that do have kids.

The people you stay with, when you initially arrive are probably the best people to ask, as you will get very diverse advice here.

Those that live on the East seem to think the West is no mans land. Those on the West are happy, that allows them to pay lower rents.

If you are hoping for a sea view, then you need to arrive with megabucks to pay the rent.

If you are hoping to be near the sea, Melbourne is about 70klms away from the actual sea as it only has a bay.

Traffic is a problem, especially at peak times, so if you plan to work in the city, then you need to live near a rail link.

Weather, well Melbourne is known for it's changeable weather, the only good thing about that is that it never remains the same for long. So if you are dying of heat, hold on, it will probably change in three or four days, if you are freezing, put a coat or two on, as it will change shortly.

If you want your wife to bless you, make sure you rent a house with central heating and preferably evaporative cooling (much cheaper to run than air-conditioning).

If you need any further questions answered, feel free to PM me.

• Like 1

Hi Denzil

Every day is a good day for coffee in Melbourne! I will PM you my mobile to make arrangements.

See you later!

MG

• Like 1

Hi Denzil

Following on from the chatroom, if you think you may work in Carrum Downs or around there (which is quite likely as there is quite a lot of light industry out there that can use your skills) then you can think about Frankston, Cranbourne or Narre Warren as potential places to live.

Upside of Frankston is that it is close to the bay (not sea, but bay) - the upside of that part of the bay is that it is one of the better parts of the bay for bay swimming etc. If you are into NSRI, you can join one of the lifeguard clubs either on the bay or on the sea side. You don't have to do much time working, but it will give you the opportunity to meet some really nice dinkum Aussies and will help get your kids into the nipper program if you want.

The downside of Frankston is that it has a good and a bad side, good side is great but more pricey and badside can be quite bad and bogan - that is a bit of a gross generalisation, but that is what I was told by Aussies when I got here. My husband did get a need stick (ie walked on an exposed needle) on a Frankston beach - wasn't fun.

The upside of Cranbourne is that it is on a main railway line, is smaller and other than the main highway running through it seems quite laidback, the downside is that it is smaller, has a highway running through it. It is also really close to the Royal Botanical Gardens in Cranbourne and I think that there is some great cycling in and around it.

The upside of Narre Warren is that it is fairly far out of Melbourne and so is cheaper than many other suburbs, houses are neat, roads are neat, parks are neat, it is fairly close to a new shopping centre. Downside of Narre Warren is that it is fairly new and so doesn't have as much character as some other areas. Downside is that it is further from the bay than Frankston and Cranbourne, upside is that you can get to the bay fairly quickly (30 to 40 minutes). Also, it has a great nature area (have to look up the name) close to it that is apparently great for doing mountain biking in, but which you can also do a casual cycle with your kids with a bbq at the end.

Disclaimer: I don't live in any of the above suburbs so my view may be slightly skewed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Denzil, I am in Melbourne, so I will attempt to answer some of your questions:

1. Happy to meet up with you and show you around the area I live in, if you are interested.

2. Sea Rescue, I think this may be what you are looking for http://www.coastguard.com.au/

3. There are plenty of South Africans in Melbourne and the snags are a whole new subject on its own.

4. I do not have children but I do know that there are some good schools where I stay, this from people that do have kids.

The people you stay with, when you initially arrive are probably the best people to ask, as you will get very diverse advice here.

Those that live on the East seem to think the West is no mans land. Those on the West are happy, that allows them to pay lower rents.

If you are hoping for a sea view, then you need to arrive with megabucks to pay the rent.

If you are hoping to be near the sea, Melbourne is about 70klms away from the actual sea as it only has a bay.

Traffic is a problem, especially at peak times, so if you plan to work in the city, then you need to live near a rail link.

Weather, well Melbourne is known for it's changeable weather, the only good thing about that is that it never remains the same for long. So if you are dying of heat, hold on, it will probably change in three or four days, if you are freezing, put a coat or two on, as it will change shortly.

If you want your wife to bless you, make sure you rent a house with central heating and preferably evaporative cooling (much cheaper to run than air-conditioning).

If you need any further questions answered, feel free to PM me.

Although we've only been here since Jan, I don't find the weather dramatically more temperamental than Cape Town. Secondary schools out west can be a problem, as most of the estates are pretty new. This is one of the reasons we settled in the East. We're also close enough to drive that I can drive into the CBD if I feel like it, although there's loads of trams and train routes close by.

The main thing to keep in mind is that most public schools are very sticky about their feeding zones - to the point that your neighbour's kids might be able to go to a particular school, but yours not. Since one of the main reasons for us moving here was for our daughter's education, we decided on where we'd live based on the quality of the school in the area.

It's a bit of a bonus that Malvern East is so pretty :ilikeit:

Abha, Denzil has arrived and found a rental in Seaford, and his wife and kiddies have also now landed. You will find him on the Facebook SAAustralia page.