Quoting

BellaR

Question

How do I quote only part of someone's post?

• Like 1

25 answers to this question

How do I quote only part

O.K. I just did a trial and I just click on quote post and then just highlight and delete the part I don't want, I'm not even sure how to use the multi quote feature.........this may be one for Jordy :)

It is a rather challenging thing to do, so I will try put it in non-computer terms - Click the quote button of the post you want to quote. :P

• Like 1

O.K. I just did a trial and I just click on quote post and then just highlight and delete the part I don't want, I'm not even sure how to use the multi quote feature.........this may be one for Jordy :)

Multi-quoting is even more challenging. You need to click the multiquote button of all the posts you want to want to quote. You will notice the "multiquote button" turns green once you have clicked and a pop up box appears in the bottom right corner of the screen which says, "Reply to [number] quoted posts" where [number] is the amount of Multiquote buttons you have clicked. Click that box and all those quotes will be inserted into the standard reply box at the bottom of the screen.

Note: As Andrea said you can delete the part of the quoted text you dont want but becareful not to delete the first and last part of the quote (the dark grey bits). This is the software code that will make the quote look like a quote. If you accidentially delete this it will not look like a quote but will just look like text.

Multi-quoting is even more challenging. You need to click the multiquote button of all the posts you want to want to quote. You will notice the "multiquote button" turns green once you have clicked and a pop up box appears in the bottom right corner of the screen which says, "Reply to [number] quoted posts" where [number] is the amount of Multiquote buttons you have clicked. Click that box and all those quotes will be inserted into the standard reply box at the bottom of the screen.

Note: As Andrea said you can delete the part of the quoted text you dont want but becareful not to delete the first and last part of the quote (the dark grey bits). This is the software code that will make the quote look like a quote. If you accidentially delete this it will not look like a quote but will just look like text.

Sheesh, and after all this time I have learnt something new!

• Like 1

So Mara, lets see you do it! Try it in this thread.

Ha ha I've done it!

Note: As Andrea said you can delete .................( look I deleted that bit )but becareful not to delete the first and last part of the quote (the dark grey bits). This is the software code that will make the quote look like a quote. If you accidentially delete this it will not look like a quote but will just look like text.

So, challenge on Mara! If I can do it you can.

Okay I really should read the question properly. To only quote part of the post requires you to quote as per normal and manually delete the sections you do not want.

Ok thanx.

Now... Can u tell me how to use emoticons? I'm using an iPad and the emoticons block is checked.

:)

Good question Bella, I can never find an emoticons option on ipad.

The iPad is not capable of having the software needed to display emoticons. Blame Apple who dont think you need to use emoticons. Other tablets like samsung have no problem however.

Gotcha!!!

The iPad is not capable of having the software needed to display emoticons. Blame Apple who dont think you need to use emoticons. Other tablets like samsung have no problem however.

and again!!!

• Like 1

Jordy, change of subject, but seeing that you have spoken about ipads and tablets, what would you think of the Samsung tablet. I have been instructed to get one for work, but they all use I-pads, I had an i-phone for a week and gave it back, as I prefer my Samsung Galaxy. I am just thinking that I will probably hate the i-pad too.

I have played on the Galaxy Tab and really liked it. I was extremely impressed with it and am very tempted to get one for myself. It felt almost identical to my Galaxy S3 phone but a bigger version. The price is just amazing coming in at $297. The upside to the iPad is that it is child friendly. My kids from age one have been able to play on it and the 3 year old is a master at the iPad. From the little I played on the Samsung tablet I just didnt get the impression that a 3 year child would be able to operate it. What I mean by mentioning this is that the iPad is a pick up and play device for the computer illiterate. The Galaxy Tab felt more like a PC in a tablet form. If you operate a PC then you wouldnt have issues with Samsung. The Samsung beats the iPad hands down in specs and upgradeability (with its memory card slot) etc, but what makes the iPad popular is that it is, well, an iPad.

The iPad is simply a bigger iPhone that cannot phone. If you didnt like the iPhone then you wont like an iPad because it is absolutely identical. Have you considered a Galaxy Note 2. That is a good option as it falls under the phablet category (phone/tablet combination category)

Oh my word , I'm so ?? excited! I think I've gotten emoticons to work on my iPhone. Just need to check if I can replicate on my ipad and then I'll do a post to explain how to do.

Mara

You know that I have the Galaxy S3 too and absolutely love it, I would not go iphone. We all have ipads too and it is a great little thing and Jordy you get ipads that you slip a sim card into and can use as a phone too..........but, if you have and are happy with samsung, get the tablet, with ipad, iphone you can sync your devices to communicate and share apps, docs etc, I'm sure you would do the same with your samsung tablet.....in fact I think I might just go that route myself.

I use evernote and springpad to collect websites, images , videos etc and it updates to all my devices, so I can use it on laptop, p.c and my phone.

I love Android and it is so much more compatible than Apple, many of my uni friends have ipads and are constantly having problems accessing different content.

Iphones etc are for people who are image conscious, Android devices are for people to use and make life easier......some will disagree but they can keep them.

Thanks for that Jordy and Andrea, I am out to go shopping!

I must be honest, I have never been able to understand the world's fascination with I-phones. I have often used one, for one reason or another, any I have to say, I am also a lover of all things android.

I guess, fortunately for me, no young kids to impress with an I-pad, just me I and myself, so I am off to get my Samsung, thanks guys for helping me along with my decision.

Mara

Iphones etc are for people who are image conscious, Android devices are for people to use and make life easier......some will disagree but they can keep them.

I so agree with that statement :ilikeit::whome::whome: :whome:

Go shopping Mara

In fact I think I might have to go shopping too. Let me know which one you get.

It is a rather challenging thing to do, so I will try put it in non-computer terms - Click the quote button of the post you want to quote. :P

It's much easier if you use bbcodes

Iphones etc are for people who are image conscious, Android devices are for people to use and make life easier

I'm also in the agree block!!

Have you used food planner on an android? You can link devices through an email address and send shopping lists to significant others... You have the ability to download recipes and it will compile a shopping list of items you need (lots of Aussie sites available). It can also scan barcodes and give you a listing about the product if it is on their database or if you add the item it becomes part of the collective

It's much easier if you use bbcodes

What are bb codes? Do you mean typing colon and then bracket will give me a smiley? If so, I only know a few. Where can I get more?

What are bb codes? Do you mean typing colon and then bracket will give me a smiley? If so, I only know a few. Where can I get more?

There are 2 methods of replying:-

1. HTML

2. BBCodes

Option 1 has a nice user interface where you can click and WYSIWYG which looks nice and is fairly easy to use.

Option 2 looks like typewriter font. It has more of the nuts and bolts actions; img tags, quote tags etc. To toggle between the two click on the toggle button in the upper left corner of the reply box, you can switch between the two as you like with no hassles

bbcode.jpg

Edited by AlBrough

Oooooh... That's not an option for iPad then.

:)

There are 2 methods of replying:-

1. HTML

2. BBCodes

Option 1 has a nice user interface where you can click and WYSIWYG which looks nice and is fairly easy to use.

Option 2 looks like typewriter font. It has more of the nuts and bolts actions; img tags, quote tags etc. To toggle between the two click on the toggle button in the upper left corner of the reply box, you can switch between the two as you like with no hassles

bbcode.jpg

Now that is Greek to me - my eyes glaze over. But basically Bella you are right you need to do the colon or semi colon thing with a bracket and then the right emoji will pop up when you post. For a list see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emoticons - there are more. But what I noticed in the other thread re emojis is that the forum code doesn't recognise all the bbcodes (now I'm sure someone will respond to say that it is because I use an iPad but too bad that is what I have and I don't have enough image or money to toss it in favour of a Galaxy!)

But what I noticed in the other thread re emojis is that the forum code doesn't recognise all the bbcodes

The forum only recognises the emoticons and the shortcuts for the emoticons that we have programmed it to use.