Life insurance as a permanent resident

wendym

Hi there

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed previously. I tried searching all forums but mostly found info on short term insurance.

I hope I'm not asking a stupid question here but here goes..... What we'd like to know is whether you can get life insurance in Australia as a permanent resident or would we have to keep our existing RSA policies and wait until we have citizenship?

Good news is it is sooo much cheaper than in SA especially if done through your Super/pension. I still require cover for property interests in SA, but cancelled all policies there. I have now returned for a year but even being back in SA my Oz policies are effective internationally!

You can keep your RSA insurance, but you are able to obtain AUS insurance (we are on a 457 and were able to get life insurance)

Have a look at this link if you like, we we're able to compare quotes from different insurers and choose the best one for us:

http://www.ccafp.com.au/

The service was fantastic :ilikeit:

• Like 1

We changed my husband's life insurance which we had taken out directly with an insurance company to obtaining it via his superannuation. His premium, for the same amount of life cover, went from $420 per month to $280 per month. The interesting part was that we found out afterwards was that it was with the same company.

Yes you can get life insurance. If you are working - first check what the the details are with your super-annuation fund. A lot of super-annuation fund packages that companies have include death and disability insurance. I was working with my old company for over two years before I found this out!

We have death and disability with hubby's super, but are with Guardian at the moment, paying $160 per fortnight for $600 000 cover, but I am seriously thinking of switching as the premiums keep going up and the cover down, plus he works underground so we pay more.

Mara if you don't mind, what company are you with?

We are with Australian Super, and yes your normal super contributions does include death and disability cover, but only a very nominal amount. If you take out the extra insurance, like we did, you can choose exactly how and where and what it goes to. In order not to make inroads into our super, hubby has the cost of the contributions paid in as an extra to his super. So he wins twice as this is deducted before his tax is calculated.

The only thing to be aware of if you decide to go this route, is that upon death the claimant needs to contact the insurance company, they will lodge the claim on claimant's behalf, the insurance company will pay them and they will pay the claimant.