Ielts this weekend!!

Hi everyone

My husband and I are doing the Ielts test this Saturday!

This Friday is the Interview part of the test.

We are working through a few samples evey night to prepare ourselves.

Can't help to be a bit stressed! :D

Hi Anine,

I know how you are feeling... :blink:

I stressed HUGELY over mine. Keep a calm head and you will be fine. Best of luck!

Tracy

Hi Anine

Do you have the cd to practise the listening part ?. If not my huband work in Midrand we can arrange for you to pick it up. It helped us a lot.

Regards

Aniena

Ps: Its not that difficult but if you know what to expect - it's so much easier. Be sharp :blink:

hi there

my fiance and i are doing the test this saturday as well, but listening is the week after....

GOOD LUCK :blink:

Hi

My husband is doing the ILETS test here in the UK this weekend. English is his second language and he doesnt write with it very often every day for work, just speaks with it. Is anyone or has anyone else done it that has Afrikaans as their first language? He's so stressed about it and has had the practice materials to use. He's doing the General test, most people seem to be doing the Academic.

Will be thinking of you all, GOOD LUCK! :ilikeit:

Kerry

HI there

People usually do the academic if their occupation is something like a teacher or doctor, but others do it cause its easier to get a date for academic as general books up really quick...we doing general...give him the samples to read through...

We are working through a few samples evey night to prepare ourselves.

Can't help to be a bit stressed! :ilikeit:

Don't stress, the test was fairly straightforward - there are no trick questions or anything like that. Listen well and do your best; I'm sure you will come out of it with flying colours.

I agree. I also did the general test and nowhere did I get the impression that they were testing your memory or how clever you are. The listening test's answers are given in exactlt the same order as the questions and you get a few seconds to read through each consecutive group of 5 questions. The reading test again is not aimed at testing your mental ability but simply if you understand English just as you would have read an ad in the newspaper or a notice on a supermarket billboard. They simply want to know if you understand English, not if you are a genius in English literature !!

In the writing test I have found that it is better just to keep it simple and show them you know basic English language, and not to try and use big words that you do not know how to spell.

In the oral interview just answer in your own words the questions and listen...before you just start thinking what to say. They want to see if you understand the question and can give an answer...not give a speech!!! Just ignore the impersonal way in which the guy asks the questions from off a paper....just remember that he has been asking hundreds of people the same stuff and that kinda start getting boring after a while and it must be difficult for them to remain interested and enthusiastic...

Well, test completed and my husband said it was okay, till he had to do the speaking test at the end... he said he stuttered his way through it cos he was nervous and it wasnt too good. He's sure it will cause him to fail. What was everyone esle's experience? (He needs a score band 6.) He said next time he'll have a dop before he does it, if he has to do it again. And we see you have to wait 3 months before you can repeat it! Thats to long! Its all we need now to get our visas issued. I guess patience is what we need. Dare I ask has anyone failed before? What happens with your visa?

Well, test completed and my husband said it was okay, till he had to do the speaking test at the end... he said he stuttered his way through it cos he was nervous and it wasnt too good. He's sure it will cause him to fail. What was everyone esle's experience? (He needs a score band 6.) He said next time he'll have a dop before he does it, if he has to do it again. And we see you have to wait 3 months before you can repeat it! Thats to long! Its all we need now to get our visas issued. I guess patience is what we need. Dare I ask has anyone failed before? What happens with your visa?

Don't stress, I also thought I'd failed the oral as I was taken aback at the interrogation style attitude but scored full marks on that one. I think it'd take quite a lot to fail it :ilikeit:

Hi

Our agents said only one person has ever failed so I sure you will be okay. Please let us know how it goes - i'm booked for July 21! Also nervous.

Hi Anine and Durban76

I also did my IELTS on Saturday in Jo'burg. Must say generally everything was OK, but that Listening! Phew, think I fell a bit out of the bus there for a while. Now for the wait, have gone for the medicals everything, nerves are shot!

Monica.

Hi everyone

Have you guys done the academic one? How would I know beforehand if my English proficiency is up to standard?? I hate failing!!

Have you guys done the academic one? How would I know beforehand if my English proficiency is up to standard?? I hate failing!!

Hi Ryxi

The academic test will have more to do with understanding the content of more scientifically oriented topics.

The only problem you may experience is in the translation of some of the terms.

Unfortunately, apart from looking at some prior postings with examples there is little you can do to prepare for this.

I did the academic version, if you want to ask me specific questions about it, don't hesitate.

Regards,

Stuart

Edited by Stuart and Jill