21 hours to take-off

TonyV

Hi all, this is it. The last 21 hours in SA.

Monday we will be taking our flight to Sydney.

Last week we were hectic with packing up every little thing in the house. Due to late import permit for trailer, we couldn't pack the container and so the whole lot is in the warehouse. No worries mate.

Paper work still needs some tweaking, power of attorney has been appointed to handle any loose ends like closing accounts and receiving monies for sold cars.

Now I just want to get on that aircraft and stop stressing.

Will still need lots of help from the forum so you will see me here soon, as soon as I can get Internet/data bundle on iPhone or whatever. Thanks again to all who have responded to my posts and being so generous with advise and info. Most appreciated.

See you on the other side.

Sydney here we come.

• Like 9

All the best with the new chapter of your lives Tony! :ilikeit:

Enjoy every moment and travel safely!

I got goosebumps reading your post...all posts like this is just so...I dont know.....great...sad...thrilling....scary.....final!

good luck, I hope you guys have a safe flight and enjoy every minute of it!

• Like 1

Good luck with the flights and the mad scramble of the first few weeks....don't forget to take time to smell the roses....or the eucalypts at least :)

• Like 1

Hey TonyV

You have made it this far so the last 21 hours should be a breeze. Good luck with the journey, I hope it goes smoothly for you guys. You are going to love this place. Let us know how things went and what your first couple of days is like (I am sure you will). :ilikeit:

All the best neighbour. Sorry we didn't get the chance to meet. Have a safe journey, and like you said, see you on the other side. Will be watching out for your posts from there. We are hopefully hot on your heels, and will take some lessons from you guys. All the best!

I got butterflies in my tummy, reading your post! We still have 23 days left! Enjoy it all and good luck! Hoping to hear about your first impressions soon!

SO you must be almost there now! I trust you had a gentle safe and happy journey and that you settle in your new home very quickly!

Looking forward to hearing your news soon!

Hi all,

After attempting a nice long follow-up post two days ago and accidentally deleting it, I have yet to work up the energy to re-write it.

however, I want to say thanks to all who have poster replies and info to my questions an queries in the past few weeks, it has been invaluable.

We arrived here on Tuesday after a good flight, though it was somewhat delayed, without any problems during boarding or after arriving. Passport control and customs were a breeze. I guess it was less than an hour from disembarking to walking out of the terminal.

Our first week is in Manly, we opted for this as our boys remembered the seaside holiday we had here last year. We reckoned that the first week would need to make a good impression on them and so far so good. Daily swimming in the sea, the water is still warm... I guess a good 23 or 24 deg C. ( did an online check on that... Actual sea water temp today, 23,7C)

My wife had her interview with employment agent who has now said that after seeing her, she would consider higher posts than originally envisioned... bonus. :)

We got our Medicare cards, organized the tax file numbers, rented a car and went to our first 15 minute show house in Epping. We bought a new printer to set up our little mini office here in our holiday flat. Took a few vids to show our family and friends back home how nice it all looks here. It really is beautiful. Wouldn't mind living in Manly.

However on Tuesday we'll be moving HQ to Castle Hill, the address of which I almost couldn't find if it wasn't for the Internet. Seems I left the booking details at home. Doh.

Btw, before today we've been using the MyFerry week pass. Two adults and one concession ticket on which the two boys ride, two for one. $44 each.

Already had too much McDonalds and KFC... So tonight we tried a restaurant on the Corso, in Manly. BIG difference, we now paid over $70 for junk food! Yuck. Ok, next time we'll try those other restaurants that were packed with locals, surely they would know what is good, right?

A trick our friends told us about... Bring your own wine and pay corkage. We bought a cheap bottle of ma-moer-vir-pa-wyn , $5, paid $1.50 corkage per person... So that came to $8. The cheapest bottle on the wine list was $26. Best part of our dinner, that bottle. LOL.

It's late, will write again soon.

• Like 5

Sounds like such fun! Thanks for the updates. I know, like me, you have had lots of thoughts about whether or not this was in God's plans for your life. Remember in those stressful times to hand it all over to Him and trust that all will come right. Best of luck for the weeks ahead. :-)

• Like 2

Whereabouts in Castle Hill will you be staying? Maybe we can meet up for brekkie, bbq or coffee while you're here? How old are your boys?

Edited by Heymanse

Hey TonyV, welcome to Australia. Sounds like you guys are having fun and enjoying your new home. :ilikeit:

Glad to hear you arrived safely. I trust that you will settle quickly.

Have you got any potential job opportunities lined up?

Exciting times!!! Yup the Aussies are funny - I was initially applying for jobs that were too junior for my experience level with no success. The Aussies don't like employing overqualified people for a role, because it upsets the team structure and can cause team conflict. They are very big on finding the right personality and experience who will fit in here. Definitely apply at your level (or higher). Good luck -hope the job offers come rolling in!

• 2 months later...

Got 34 days to go, thanks for all the advice etc thus far. God bless you TonyV on your arrival in OZ!

• 4 weeks later...

Well done TonyV

I noticed in your opening post you mentioned the delay of a trailer import permit ?, did you take your trailer with you ?

We are moving in January and i would love to take a camping trailer with us if its an option??

Good luck on your adventure !!

Yes please let me know what the procedure is to take a trailer I saw on gumtree trailers and caravans is very expensive a small camping trailer 2nd hand goes for a bout 4000 dollars if I can take mine it would be grate as to flok it in SA would not get much

I would suggest that if you want to know about taking your camping trailers, that you start a new thread headed 'TAKING CAMPING TRAILERS TO AUSTRALIA" you are likely to get a far greater response then than your question being hidden in this thread.