6 weeks in...still in dreamworld!

Maktub

Hi again everyone! Time for an update! I still cannot believe how much can happen in 6 weeks!

Last time I posted I was 3 weeks in, and I must say it feels like years ago!

Yesterday I spent the day in Melbourne for the first time! What a fabulous city!!! Within 5 minutes of stepping off at Southern Cross I had an Afrikaans family walk past me...you all should have seen my face! Haha I was dumbstruck! It was little over an hour later that I sat in the tram with another Afrikaans couple! Amazing! Been wondering if it could have been any of you... :whome:

Melbourne is absolutely amazing. I loved the city so much...but must say that I am very glad to be living in country Ballarat! At least it is very accessible, being only about an hour away so I will be spending many more weekends exploring the city! I only had a day there, so had to make the most of being a tourist and getting as much in as I could!

Just as you leave Southern Cross there is a Melbourne Bike Share stand. Everyone who is still to arrive, this is genius! It seems that you just pay a deposit, take a bike to use for the day, and return it to the same or another bike share storage area! They are all over the city! I still cannot believe this actually works...imagine it in SA! They also have a fab facebook page for those of you who are interested!

I, however, decided to go the lazy route and use the free tourist tram! It goes all around the inner city, and out to docklands. It was a great way to get oriented to the layout of the city (although a little busy...maybe just because it's Easter weekend?). Hopping on an off at your convenience allows for some great sight-seeing!

My two favourite parts of the city were docklands and the Queen Victoria market:

Docklands seems to be a relatively new section on the city marina...a very pretty esplanade overlooking the moored yachts and the city! I absolutely loved it! Great restaurants, bars etc. I had an ice-cream here and just admired the view!

The Queen Vic market is right up my alley! I absolutely love places like this! And it's one of the biggest and best I have been to! I would not really bother with the regular market area, except for souvenirs maybe...as it's just the same :censored: that you get at any market in SA, but of the Aussie variety. The part of the market that I LOVED was the food areas! Meat hall, organics and fruit&veg hall, deli hall, dairy hall! The atmosphere is electric in the meat hall...with the sellers screaming out their specials and "competing" with the stalls opposite...its great! The food is fab, and one can immediately see which stalls have the best food by the sheer amount of people not minding to queue for it (again, maybe just Easter weekend crowds?). I even saw biltong at one or two deli stalls...but not craving yet! Had lunch sitting on a crate outside...as there was no space left to sit...people where sitting on boxes, the pavement, everywhere! The market (and docklands) is highly recommended for those of you coming over for a visit!

I then just ambled around the city centre...china town, Italian quarter, etc etc. Now, I am someone who has a fab sense of direction...but the sheer amount of people yesterday and myself just wandering down all the alleys and taking me where my eyes/nose led me was perhaps not the best idea :oops: ! I got very disorientated for a while there... I had a great couple of hours but boy was I tired by the time I left the city!

Now to be fair, this is just a little taste of Melbourne...and I feel like I would have to go there again a million times before I experience all it has to offer...but all in all it is a great, great place! I never felt unsafe once, and people where still very friendly and helpful!

Just as an aside...I was talking to my housemates trying to explain that in JHB and PTA you do not want to go to the city centre...esp not at night! They could not understand this because in Melbourne you WANT to be in the city centre! Haha I love it here!

I am still extremely happy in Aus, and my career has just taken flight in ways which where never possible in SA. I just feel that I need to stress (again) for those of you with children who are still trying to decide whether or not to come, do it for them!!! There is, in my opinion, no comparison career-prospect wise in any industry between here and SA for young people. I have met so many people my age who are buying houses (on teachers salaries / tradies salaries)...that is not possible in SA.

A few random funnies:

• Bought hot cross buns at coles today: 50c for 4
  • Bought a packet of spaghetti at coles today: 99c for 500g ( :ilikeit: student budget)
  • My blackberry has an optus prepaid sim in it...I put the $30 social prepaid onto it the first time, which allows social media and bbm to be used for 1 month...the month has expired and my airtime is finished and my bbm and emails still work. Just no facebook etc. Not sure why, maybe I am just lucky...but worth a try?
  • On that note, I got a new cellphone contract for an iphone with Vodafone, costs $60 per month = get $700 airtime (for nat and internat calls - beware many contracts here include ONLY national calls, pay extra for international), 1 gig data, FREE UNLIMITED nat and internat smss. :blink: How is this possible? I am not complaining though :D
  • Lots of places to do factory clothes shopping in Melbourne apparently :ilikeit:
  • Just realized the extra lights in my bathroom are heating lamps! Heater from above in winter...yes please!

Last thing, went for a barbeque (have to get used to not saying braai :P ) at someone who I met through this forum's house. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to her and her husband for the friendly welcoming! So great to be able to use this forum to connect in the real world too! Now next time I am in Melbourne I will be connecting with those of you there who have extended a friendly welcoming too! And then its HEOJJ and OYBR in the future! Thanks all :hug:

For those of you who want to see my photos, PM me and I will add you on FB

Edited by Maktub
  • Like 5

Great post but I'll still refer to braai when it is a proper wood fire. And yes, you can braai in Aus.

I'll use the term "BBQ" when we use those gas thingies to heat and eat.

• Like 1

Just a note, Mactub:

While flying over Melbourne to Sydney yesterday HEOJJ turned to me and said, "Hey, we're flying over our daughter :) ". We'll be in Brisbane till 5 April and then it's off the Maroochydore :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Great post but I'll still refer to braai when it is a proper wood fire. And yes, you can braai in Aus.

Aaah, good way to distinguish! This one was definitely a barbeque then!

Just a note, Mactub:

While flying over Melbourne to Sydney yesterday HEOJJ turned to me and said, "Hey, we're flying over our daughter :) ". We'll be in Brisbane till 5 April and then it's off the Maroochydore :ilikeit:

That warms my heart OYBR :) I cannot wait to meet you guys! Hopefully it will be within the year! Anytime you plan a trip Melbourne-side give me a shout!

• Like 1

OYBR I JUST REALISED THIS MEANS YOU ARE HERE!!!!!! YAY for you and HEOJJ and your daughter!!!! :congratulations:

Oh my I am so excited for you!! Hope Australia is treating you well so far!

• Like 2

Aaah, good way to distinguish! This one was definitely a barbeque then!

That warms my heart OYBR :) I cannot wait to meet you guys! Hopefully it will be within the year! Anytime you plan a trip Melbourne-side give me a shout!

I saw Ballarat on the flight map and it felt familiar. Never been there or heard of it until you mentioned it but it brought a scene of peace and tranquillity. Very weird I know but it did. I hope your parents don't mind sharing children. :P

I saw Ballarat on the flight map and it felt familiar. Never been there or heard of it until you mentioned it but it brought a scene of peace and tranquillity. Very weird I know but it did. I hope your parents don't mind sharing children. :P

Aaah that's so special! Thanks HEOJJ means a lot to me!! Wow...I don't even know what to say.

"I believe in intuition and inspiration; at times I feel certain I am right while not knowing the reason" ~Einstein

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey!

No 6 weeks anymore, more like 6 months now!

Whats happened to you?

Things still going well?

Let us know, we miss you!

• Like 1

Can you really still braai there??

I was under the impression that anything apart from gas is outlawed?

There are no-fire days. Usually when it is windy and hot. That is to limit the risks of causing bush fires.

However, you can still buy regular charcoal and weber type of braais.

I have some pictures of city provided wood braai facilities at hiking trails in Mt Coo-Tha, although the wood still heats a hot plate.

Oh my word!!!

That is so friggin awesome. My day has just been made.

Another thing I get to take with me!