Some help needed please

K-Vdm

Hi all

Please can I ask for some assistance with regards to rentals, schools etc. It's on behalf of my brother - they moved to Aus 10 weeks ago and have been living with us in Adelaide. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to secure a job in Adelaide (IT market is dead!!!). He got offered a job in Melbourne - Albert Park today..

Unfortunately for me they will be have to move (our kids is going to be devestated) :(

They are looking at areas like Mount Waverley and surrounds to live. Anyone know of good public primary schools (their son's are in Year 2 and Kindy)?

Where would be the best place for them to stay (for a week or two whilst searching for a rental)? It will have to be something furnished obviously. Something cost effective?

They will send their container (it's here in Adelaide in storage) to Melbourne as soon as they have a place to stay..

I feel so helpless as I can't assist with any of this as we have never been in Melbourne :(

Any assistance will be SO appreciated!

Hi, based on where he will be working I would think carefully whether Mount Waverly is the place to move to. Why? He will be on a train line which will mean he has to train into the city and then tram down St Kilda road. It may be better for them to move to Mentone or Hampton which are very close to GE bay and is on the Pakenham line, and he can get off at South Yarra and then tram across to Albert Park. Just a thought. AllisonW may be able to help with schools closer to the bay.

If he want to be in Mount Waverly there is a very good school, I think it is Huntingtower that is highly rated.

I have sent you a PM.

Thank you for the replies - I should have mentioned that he will be driving in to work as he needs to do site visits and see clients etc

Would it then be bad for them to stay in that area?

Anyone have ideas on where is the best place to look for short term (one or two weeks) furnished rental for them (that won't break the bank?)

Quest run a series of short term apartment chains - not sure how expensive they are but fully furnished and probably easier with kids to do that rather than a hotel.

• Like 1

It is a fairly long commute to St Kilda by car, but it is doable. He will have to work out the back routes as best he can to avoid the daily traffic snarl ups. If he works regular office hours he will get stuck in traffic for up to an hour (or more) to get too and from work, even if the distance is not that far. If he can start early and leave early or late the commute will be a lot better.

Places to stay, yes, Quest works well, but if he is paying for himself he may want to look at the people that GideonVD is using for his LSD - http://australianhomeaway.com.au/

Edited by Sunnyskies
  • Like 1

What about, leave the car at home and use public transport to work and back and for client visits use cabs and expense claim it back. That is what I used to do when I worked in Melb.

What about, leave the car at home and use public transport to work and back and for client visits use cabs and expense claim it back. That is what I used to do when I worked in Melb.

He is getting a car allowance (and I presuming it is specifically so that he can use his own vehicle to see clients and visit sites)

It is a fairly long commute to St Kilda by car, but it is doable. He will have to work out the back routes as best he can to avoid the daily traffic snarl ups. If he works regular office hours he will get stuck in traffic for up to an hour (or more) to get too and from work, even if the distance is not that far. If he can start early and leave early or late the commute will be a lot better.

Places to stay, yes, Quest works well, but if he is paying for himself he may want to look at the people that GideonVD is using for his LSD - http://australianhomeaway.com.au/

Thank you I have forwarded this to my brother!

Let him at least check that they will be supplying parking...because if he has to pay for parking...let him know that he will be shocked at the price of it.

Let him at least check that they will be supplying parking...because if he has to pay for parking...let him know that he will be shocked at the price of it.

Double agree with that! Parking can cost $400 to $700 per month and that is if you sign up with a parking co. Casual parking $10 to $20 per day if you don't have to use your car during the day and $78 a day if you can't make use of early bird specials.

Edited by Sunnyskies