Resident return visa

Nessa

Question

Hey guys, I was just looking at the criteria for a resident return visa. This is for my sister who came to Aus on PR and then went after a few months ... sigh.

It says that if you haven't spent two out of the five years since PR was granted in Australia, you might still be eligible for a one year RRV if you:

provide evidence that proves you have substantial business,
cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia

Does anyone know what this actually means? Would an elderly mother living in Australia count as 'personal ties'? I'm not sure how this is 'of benefit to Australia', but what personal ties would be of benefit to the country?

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks :)

5 answers to this question

Message, if both you and your mother are in Australia, I think that would count as substantial personal ties.....is she thinking of returning? If she is, she shouldn't let time slip away and rather get the documentation done and get back over.

Apply for one. What's the downside other than some cash?

there's plenty downside if you don't apply.

Thanks Andrea and 16Years. At this stage she's still got some time remaining on her PR visa. I'm hoping she will see the light before it expires, but she doesn't seem committed to coming back :( I just want to understand what the options are if she changes her mind in the future. As 16Years says, there will be nothing to lose by applying if/when the time comes!

Bessarabia, my apologies, the silly iPad changed your name to message ! aaaaghh, Nessa, now it wants to call you Bessarabia.....what is wrong with this thing and where do I switch off the predictive text....

No worries, Andrea :) Predictive text has done more damage before... The terrible thing is I now type worse without it!

• Like 1