Backpacking before our move

Sage

Hi,

We've applied and now it is the long wait for the processing - there was mention of a backlog - we've calculated that we'll probably only have the option to come across early next year (2008).

My husband and I have decided to do a trip to Oz before the big move since we've never been there and the decision is sometimes overwhelming. We are thinking about the cheapest way ... backpacking.

We are considering winter or spring this year. We have started to think about flights and accommodation, so if any of you can help with suggestions of good backpacking accommodation in Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if anyone can recommend best value/cheap flight services we should consider, please let me know.

Look forward to responses.

Sage

They YHA hostel group has certain standards of accommodation and are usually quite good - sometimes also offering double, en-suite rooms for couples. It's the cheapest way to go and you'll meet a lot of ppl from allover the world! :ilikeit: To plan your trip, visit www.yha.com.au

Guest colton

The first time hubby and I came over we also backpacked. We met some really great people and saw some great places and had the most fun ever. It is really easy to do. We arrived off the plane on new years day, had made no prior arrangements and had never set foot in Australia before. Things work really different here, you always find place to stay and if you use the backpackers they have brochures recommending interesting areas to visit and stay. Other backpackers are always willing to share their experiences about places to see and what is economical.

Once you get off the plane the airports have notice boards and telephones with direct lines to accomodation. All you need to do is choose and make a phone call. Most will even pick you up at the airport any time of the day or night. There are heaps of backpackers all over Australia and so the country really accomodates them, you have no idea how easy it is till you get here, especially when you come from a country like SA that is not at all accomodating for travel on a shoe string.

I fully believe, because we did it, you don't need to plan anything in advance. Good luck and have lots of fun.

Colton

Hi Sage,

A nice place to stay in Brissie is the Aussie Way Backpackers(http://users.bigpond.net.au/aussieway/).

My wife and I found it to be very rustig and easy to get to. Most of the backpackers are in a radius of 2 km of each other. The double room for the 2 of us was as I remember $50, but don't quote me on that.

Good luck,

Gawie

Hi Sage,

A nice place to stay in Brissie is the Aussie Way Backpackers(http://users.bigpond.net.au/aussieway/).

My wife and I found it to be very rustig and easy to get to. Most of the backpackers are in a radius of 2 km of each other. The double room for the 2 of us was as I remember $50, but don't quote me on that.

Good luck,

Gawie

Hi Sage

Try bestflights.com.au for cheap airtickets and accommodation....really good website...

Heather

Sage,

Sorry, forgot to mention. Go to Travelstartand look for flights to Oz. There you will find all the options on different flights and the time you intend to go.

Cheers vir eers,

Gawie