Car Insurance

Guest May

i believe outsurance is in oz aswell.they dont seem to be that bad here.

Whoever you go with make sure you get credit for your years driving in SA. We had an issue with Comminsure, initially they gave me credit but then changed their mind on the first renewal and doubled my premium. I'm now with Gio. Friends are with Allianz. Make sure you read the PDS (product disclosure statement) and follow the rules.

Haven't heard about Outsurance being in Oz.

maybe they doubled your premium when they realised you were from SA,LOL.

I heard that the director of Outsurance has been over to Oz for 2 years to start up Outsurance there or something similar.I might be wrong,rumours....

It's really up to you, there are so many options and what might be cheaper for some in one area will be different for others in another area. A good place to start is I-select where you can compare rates.

The thing about car I insurance is it changes all the time. This year one provider might be cheaper, next year another so it definitely pays to shop around each year when your renewal comes up. It's a pain in the backside, but the alternative is that your premiums generally increase, despite the value of your car decreasing... At least in my experience. The only way to avoid this is to be an insurance tart and keep looking for a better deal rather than stick with one provider...:)

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 1

We're with Youi - great service. Switched over from NRMA when we lived in Brisbane. If you don't use your car everyday to get to work, they're a great option as they reduce your premium. NRMA's customer service is outstanding, but they don't offer this facility.

Hi all,

I wonder if there is any value in getting a letter from our current SA insurers stating how little we have claimed and how long we have been insured by them. Even the last two or three companies... EG: If I had insurance with Outsurance, First for ladies (my wife's account)... then they could write a letter stating how we did.

... or is that just a waste of time?

TonyV, on 15 Mar 2013 - 17:43, said:

Hi all,

I wonder if there is any value in getting a letter from our current SA insurers stating how little we have claimed and how long we have been insured by them. Even the last two or three companies... EG: If I had insurance with Outsurance, First for ladies (my wife's account)... then they could write a letter stating how we did.

We didn't have a letter and just advised the insurance company. They didn't ask for any proof.

jm01, on 15 Mar 2013 - 06:21, said:

maybe they doubled your premium when they realised you were from SA,LOL.

Some of the insurance companies ask for your Australian driver's licence number and when you obtained your Australian driver's licence - they then do a cross check. When I queried why Australian, they basically said that they don't credit you for driving in other countries - not interested in the fact that I hadn't had a claim in a long time or when I obtained the SA driver's licence. Quite frankly if you manage to drive in SA without incident you must be a good driver, or at least a good defensive driver.

We didn't have a letter and just advised the insurance company. They didn't ask for any proof.Some of the insurance companies ask for your Australian driver's licence number and when you obtained your Australian driver's licence - they then do a cross check. When I queried why Australian, they basically said that they don't credit you for driving in other countries - not interested in the fact that I hadn't had a claim in a long time or when I obtained the SA driver's licence. Quite frankly if you manage to drive in SA without incident you must be a good driver, or at least a good defensive driver.

LOL... defensive driving indeed! :ilikeit:

Thanks guys, every little bit helps. Done with the Telecoms saga, eventually you say 'Ja well no fine" ...like Telstra that say $10 unlimited International call...oops salesperson made foopah ir doesnt come with that other WONDERFUL deal you got...

or Crazy Johns WONDERFUL deal by the time you finished on the phone getting all kinks ironed out its cost you much time and airtime.

so moving right along.

Pretty much same is SA where every year you should check premiums on car insurance and armed response.

Defensive driving is what kept my car out of panelbeating. only thing is when you a chap hurtling toward you with a bicycle held together with tape not much you do when he kisses your window and puts a signicant dent in your side door. Oh how I miss those days....NOT!

Thanks guys, every little bit helps. Done with the Telecoms saga, eventually you say 'Ja well no fine" ...like Telstra that say $10 unlimited International call...oops salesperson made foopah ir doesnt come with that other WONDERFUL deal you got...

or Crazy Johns WONDERFUL deal by the time you finished on the phone getting all kinks ironed out its cost you much time and airtime.

so moving right along.

Pretty much same is SA where every year you should check premiums on car insurance and armed response.

Defensive driving is what kept my car out of panelbeating. only thing is when you a chap hurtling toward you with a bicycle held together with tape not much you do when he kisses your window and puts a signicant dent in your side door. Oh how I miss those days....NOT!

Don't think cyclists are much better here - they still own the road and the pavement, btw, I've seen cyclists holding up the cars until they get to a red traffic lifgt in which case they zip onto the pavement, nearly killing pedestrians to zip past the "obstruction" and back off the other side. But their bikes are MUCH more expensive.

Edited by OubaasDik

The main ones AFAIK are

GIO

SGIO

Allianz

RAC

AAMI

YOUI

APIA

Budget Direct

They all offer online instant quotes so it is easy to get a comparison. Also they offer discounts if you pay annually in advance. Up to 10%.

South Africa = Outsurance

Australia = Youi (started by same lot who started Outsurance in RSA)

So obtain your no claim bonus cerificate from Outsurance. Bring it. Recognised by Youi when needed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been advised that not many Brokers will look at just insuring a car, as it's not worth the effort. There's a South African in Perth who has his own Brokerage & he is prepared to help anyone. One of my Facebook friends knows them & gave me the details - she speaks very highly of them. I was very pleasantly surprised at the reduction in my premiums from compared to what I was paying with the direct Insurers and I only have one debit order going off my account every month, not 2 like I had with my previous Insurers, one for the car & one for the house.

http://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection?source=mobile_mirror_nux#!/pages/Anchorage-Insurance-Services/124846617694035?fref=ts

You can send him an email on ron@anchorageinsurance.com.au

Hi all,

As far as I know you can request for a letter stating your no claims history/bonus... :)

Hiya Everyone

A a 'Newbie" just trying to help... I gave Ron Morcom @ Anchorage a call... they don't need a letter. They just need a signed declaration to say that you have had no claims. You should really try them out.. I've had 3 friends getting online quotes & Anchorage has topped them all.

• 3 months later...

I sell car insurance, happy to field questions. Obviously, I know my own product intimately, not so for the other companies. :) ANZ offers insurance underwritten by QBE