Simba: Introduction

Simba

Hi, we have just joined this forum. We would be grateful to get feedback, on a number of issues.

We have the option to migrate, which option expires in a year. By that time, we need all our ducks in a row, to make the correct move. One major move is bad enough, with a junior family, let alone two, once you discover you're in the wrong place!

Have been to aus, twice. Once to present a paper in Melbourne, and one to watch Super 12. (not 14).

Perth is fantastic, beautiful school in Scotch College, situated in an 'old world' kind of neighbourhood, that replicates our situation here at home. But there must be good schools like Scotch College, in Melbourne, Brisbane, and Sydney?

We leave South Africa with a heavy heart. We are proud of our heritage, indiscretions apart (we all have those). We love living here (SA). Beautiful house, in a beautiful area, 5 blocks from good private schools, three blocks from the office, six blocks from a fantastic mother-in-law baby sitter, three full-time servants, 10min. from the beach, bought a bakkie to take the dogs down. They love having a crap on the beach. So do I cause Sammy only works mon-friday, otherwise my wife has to pick it up. Joking, I do sometimes.

Fortunately we also think with our heads. Hiv is 50% population, no jokes. In some hospitals, in Northern Zululand it is 80% (based on maternity figures). They say, over million aids orphans in SA. They grow up with minimal parental supervision. When you read the papers (every day), most hi-jackings, murders, by teenages. David Ratray was murdered by a 22 year old. 50% of our population is below 18 years old.

Our three current servants, two would be dead today. One is dead, Ntombi, combination of TB and hiv, in January. Three orphaned daughters, 9-11. Her husband is dead - car crash. We had her hospitalised, but it was too late. Sammy has recovered from TB, and Elsie has recovered, on ARV's. Picked up Sammy in my BeeM, middle of Kwa-Mashu, with my gun in my belt. Heard he couldn't get out of bed. Lost all his hair. Nearly died. Been with me since I was 25 (15 years). He's cool now. He'll be devastated when we leave.

Q: is it possible to replicate our standard of living in aus, and where? My wife and I are both professionals. Our private businesses both experience incredible upward progression. Economic boom, which is not sustainable for national health reasons, among others. Reasons that only people who live in Africa, can understand.

My suedo name is Simba, until such time this is definite (for business and private reasons).

Looking forward to your comment, hope it's posted in the correct place! Otherwise forward it to the correct place, ok.

Best regards

Simba

Aah Simba... welcome!!!

When you come to Australia you might swop your high standard of living for a better quality of life.

You may not have the beautiful house, but the house you have will not resemble a prison.

You will probably not have three servants, but it will matter less as every family member will learn to pitch in.

Will you be able to replicate your standard of living?-with time it is most likely you will if that is still important to you.

I must agree with you QG - some things money just can't buy. Life is Good!!! :ilikeit:

Simba, I know it is difficult to imagine life any different from what you now know, but when you live in Aus, you realise that all those things simply don't matter anymore. :holy::D

Hey Simba

Welcome, I hope you find the info you are looking for here.

I relate to almost every point in your post , more or less (I also hide behind a pseudonym for proffesional reasons & fear of backlash from customers if they find out) & we too will be leaving behind a life with household help, succesful business, a great granny down the drag etc etc . We are going to nothing, except hope for a better future (to who knows where, originally Melbourne but the beach, sunshine & bright lights of Sydney beckon - we are from Jhb !) There are great private (& govt) schools in every city in Australia, just make sure you live within the zoning (you don't want to spend your new life schlepping kids to & from school, sport etc) choose the city carefully according to your "industry" & the needs/ opportunities at present. Lastly get ready to pick up the dog cr@p yourself (there are nice little packets provided in every park :holy:)domestic help is only available at huge cost, not sure if the garden service will pick up dog cr@p but if you have the money I suppose you can get anything done :ilikeit:

Good luck mate, there is plenty of info here regarding each city, but only you know what you want.

Edited by Barnone

Hi Simba

Welcome to the forum. Sure your decision will become clearer and clearer as you get closer to making it.

It seems going over we will all take a big financial knock what with the almost 6 to 1 exchange rate now but as others have said we will be gaining "opportunity, safety and a future" especially for our kids and their kids who will only be discriminated against here.

Hi Simba

Welcome to the forum. Sure your decision will become clearer and clearer as you get closer to making it.

It seems going over we will all take a big financial knock what with the almost 6 to 1 exchange rate now but as others have said we will be gaining "opportunity, safety and a future" especially for our kids and their kids who will only be discriminated against here.

Hi Simba

I too agree with QG - you kinda get used to living with a little bit of dust (never hurt anyone)haha, you can get help - most of us opt for domestic help once or twice a week - they charge roughly about $20 - $25 per hour and do the mundane things like bathrooms, toilets, floors, dusting and vaccuuming. The rest of the time everyone pitches in and helps to keep it clean and tidy. You need to start teaching them to make their own beds and pick up after themselves then you are half way there. We too have had to take a huge step backwards, but the schools are great and the fact that I dont even have a wall outside my house is enough for us. Good luck with your move and your choices...

Heather

Hi Simba

I too agree with QG - you kinda get used to living with a little bit of dust (never hurt anyone)haha, you can get help - most of us opt for domestic help once or twice a week - they charge roughly about $20 - $25 per hour and do the mundane things like bathrooms, toilets, floors, dusting and vaccuuming. The rest of the time everyone pitches in and helps to keep it clean and tidy. You need to start teaching them to make their own beds and pick up after themselves then you are half way there. We too have had to take a huge step backwards, but the schools are great and the fact that I dont even have a wall outside my house is enough for us. Good luck with your move and your choices...

Heather

I too agree with everyone else that replied. We also left it all behind, the decision was based mainly for the better of our kids. I think that in time you will have more than you did over in SA. Starting out will be hard but as a business person I am sure that you are an optimistic and you will do your research before you move...and bring the mother in law along. childcare is very expensive here!

Dear Simba

Dear Simba

We have lived in Perth for the last 7 years. We to had a very sucessful business in Johannesburg, Wonderful home, Granny , Bmws( Which stands for Break my Windows) etc etc.

WE all give up so much when we emmigrate.

Sorry , but your dogs cannot "crap" on the beach here- thats why its a such a clean country. People respect their enviroment and there are laws.

Can you replicate your life in Australia?This is the "lucky Country" anything is possible, but that should not be the sole reason for your migration. No doubt about it, finanicial you set your self back 5-10 years....

IN South Africa you have Quantity in Life- what else can you spend your money on except to comfort yourself. In Australia we have quality in Life, we can walk to the park, we walk late at night , my kids can play in the street and we live. There are no beggars on the street corner and poverty is not in your face 24/7.

Remember with all the wonderful luxury you live in - all it takes is a 50c bullit to change your life!!!!.

Very little chance of that happening here.

Cheers

Enrica

Edited by enrica