How much cash?

OnYellowBrickRd

Thanks guys for the responses, :ilikeit: at least we have an idea of what we are in for now and have decided on an amount that will tide us over for at least a week.

We are not going to require hotels or car hire in Sydney because we do not plan on staying there, we will more than likely catch the first available flight to Brisbane.

On the CC thing, I am sure if you arrange with the bank before leaving it will be fine, in our case we have to wait for a refund to hit our CC which will only happen after we leave, I can then transfer the money from there to my Standard Bank account and close the CC online. Once that is done we will initiate the formal emigration which can't be done until all our other accounts are closed.

We have also managed to plan things in such a way that when we hit Brisbane we will buy a car and work from their. Not very much time to do so many things before we have to be in Maroochydore but we will get it done.

So is Maroochydore the plan then? .....Just be open to opportunity and prepared to change your plans if need be. What made you finally decide?

Note that in Queensland, if you buy a vehicle and even if it is cash, you will be required to provide proof of ID and proof of address. This is to register you with Queensland transport and to get insurance, which is compulsory.

Best wishes for the final steps!

So is Maroochydore the plan then? .....Just be open to opportunity and prepared to change your plans if need be. What made you finally decide?

Maroochydore is the final destination for the moment but as we all know that could change and that's also OK. We decided on Maroochydore because it's right by the sea and is cheaper than Brisbane and to be quite honest (and I'm not being funny or anything) because we can. We aren't tied to anything or anyone and have just decided to live our dream.

Note that in Queensland, if you buy a vehicle and even if it is cash, you will be required to provide proof of ID and proof of address. This is to register you with Queensland transport and to get insurance, which is compulsory. Best wishes for the final steps!

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that insurance was compulsory. How does one prove address when you've only been there a week?

It's called CTP (Compulsory Third Party) insurance and you cannot register your vehicle with the transport authority without having that in place first. Not sure about other states in Australia, but it's the same in NSW. We were staying in furnished apartments upon our arrival in Australia - we got a letter from the agents of the apartments stating our arrival and departure date - also had to show bank details to the transport authority, birth certificates (because at that stage we didn't have NSW drivers licences yet). The transport authorities are really helpful and you can either go into one of their many offices or give them a call and ask them which documents they'd need you to bring in. I think it is quite easy to forget sometimes and hard to comprehend that you can go into the local transport authority office and be in and out of there within less than 1/2 hour or even get someone to answer your call if you do decide to call them. I would, upon arrival in Brisbane / Maroochydore get the following done immediately (if possible in the same day) - activate bank account, register with Medicare, convert drivers licence to QLD Drivers licence. It is quite possible you'll be able to do all of that in just one morning. Good luck!! Min dae....

If you are dealing with a reputable car dealer, they will generally assist you with obtaining the necessary rego (usually 6 months free to sweeten the deal) as well as with the CTP. They do it all online or telephonically on your behalf.

For proof of address we took a bank statement with our address on & provided contacts from my husband's work to verify our address and legitimacy. Birth certificates don't mean much in Queensland, they prefer photo ID.

For info, the Queensland Transport CRN number that you will be issued for rego, will also become the "driver's licence number" of the person in who's name it is issued.

• 2 weeks later...

Eish, all this is making my head spin :o

I had a look at the different charges from the different banks and our Discovery Card (FNB) was the cheapest in terms of forex to use directly at purchase or cash withdrawal at ATM. We drew $1000 on arrival (for LSD) and I still have $500 left after the month long trip. Just had a look at the exchange rate, and those $500 are "growing" in ZAR terms under my bed and will be our cash for the first day or two.

This is of course not an option in this case but if you were to say use your RSA CC to buy some books from a website and you have it delivered at your "friend's" house in Aus or anywhere else in the world, that would be a quite normal online sale. Also not practical to stand in Coles and not being able to pay. For online, you can also use VCPay, a virtual pre-paid credit card on your phone. I actually paid our accommodation at EFTPOS terminals using it. Just ask for manual entry.

The banks also have what they call a travel or cash card. It is a pre-loaded debit card (preloaded in the currency you specify) and is not a bank account in your name.

Either way, cash is king. You can take up to $10,000 on you, but that would be enough to survive for 2-3 months I think even if you use cash only.

I think there is really a need for assistance in the first week or even month of arrival.

Something where the immigrant can pre-pay for house rental and a vehicle for a month in advance before leaving his country and with a pick-up or shuttle service from the airport (It's not practical to use public transport with 40kg of luggage). And perhaps some cash as well. Heck you could leave the car unlocked at the airport for him, and just tell him where you hid the key and the bay number.

Alternatively, one would have to attend coffee clubs before going, make some friends. Stay in contact and know who goes to where and when. Hope to get some help from one of your new friends on arrival.