Department of Home affairs.

After been married for 10 years and just discovered by the Department Of Home Affairs they have no record of us getting married. We even have the computer printed certificate, my wifes ID has been changed to her married name.

They now say we have to give them proof of our marriage, sworn affridavids, photo's and a copy of the registra signed in Church. My wife contacted the minister who married us and he says we are not the first to have this problem.

Has any one else had this problem and if so how easy was it to resolve.

Thanks

Camper :ilikeit:

We have exactly the same problem. There is no record of our marriage. Everything is fine with my name change they have that on the system and both of our marital statuses have changed to married but the actual register copy is gone. After waiting for about 7 months for the certificate and going there every six weeks or so I finally got a number to call and only then I found out why there was a delay.

Unfortunately I can not tell you how to resolve it because we have not yet been able to – Sorry. We got married in the Midlands at a venue there so there is no church role. I’ve lost the details of the actual minister but I will try and contact the venue and maybe they will know where to find him.

Will let you know if I get things resolved.

By the way our daughter’s notice of birth has now gone missing twice.

So we have not been able to get her birth certificate either.

Aai toggie

We struggled for months to get our marriage registered.

Eventually we went past the counters of the home affairs office and found a nice bloke who we could easily understand and he sorted it out for us. We had to show them the marriage register though. (This you get from your minister).

They can set you to married immediately if you ask them nicely. They do not need to send the thing to head office.

Good luck.

Hi Camper

We had the same problem with my son's birth. He was issued a computer printed birth certificate with an ID number when he was born, but when we applied for the full birth certificate, they said his birth wasn't registered. Took us 9 months, and lots of money (we got help ) to get it sorted out!! He was even issued with a passport, which they then told us was not valid as his birth wasn't registered.

Robyn

Hi camper,

Contact MRS LOUW at dept home affairs 039 -9781352 she is at Rocky bay home affairs. She is excellent. takes about 40 mins to drive there but it is worth it because that home affairs is so well run that you never have to go back. It is safe , clean and they are open on a Saturday morning.

Good luck :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Got our unabridged marriage certificate to-day, i am now legaly married. all we had to do was get a copy of the marriage registra from the minister and a letter and a lot of phoning and ass licking and we got it. front loading medicals next week. hopeful someone is watching over us.

Cheers

Camper :thumbdown::ilikeit:

hey Camper

Well done!! It's a darn good thing I did not get involved when you were so close to the goal post!

see you at the next cofee club whenever that is? :thumbdown:

cheers