Redcliffe

Fish

OYBR, have you discounted Redcliffe ?

Here's a few shots from a previous post on canoeing:

Redcliffe, Brisbane

You could consider living in the Brisbane suburb of Redcliffe. It has flat bayside beaches with plenty of water craft taking advantage of the flatter water.

image_4.jpg?634648150018330000200711023448redcliffe-38743.jpg

While it is not an island it is connected south to the city by some crazy long bridges :)

bris_proj-423.jpg

ted1.jpg

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Wow, I think it is so nice that everyone is really trying to help HEOJ and OYBR find somewhere good to live in Australia, by good I mean the lifestyle they want, but with the work opportunities to boot.

• Like 1

@Fish. We had a look at Redcliff, but for fear of sounding snobbish, the houses look a bit...how shall I put it...um...lower class and not well maintained (on google maps street view). When we land, we will have a look at it, though.

Hey Fish

I had a look at the houses there and they did not thrill me, maybe I should look at it again. Thanks for the photos. :ilikeit:

My sister and her husband are both GP's. They have a beautiful house. Can not comment on the state of the other houses though.

I have lived in Redcliffe for the last 6 years and have been very happy.

The Redcliffe (of which Redcliffe City is a part) peninsular is a very diverse area and is a lot bigger than people may think. Before the amalgamation into Moreton Bay it was a city council in its own right. You therefore get a wide variety of housing and social structure. Recliffe has 55k people living in it, about 2% of Brisbane's population, with an area of 38km2, about 10% of Brisbane, not forgetting that Brisbane is Australia's third biggest city.

The most expensive property in the area is currently on sale for in excess of $ 6 million.

@Fish. We had a look at Redcliff, but for fear of sounding snobbish, the houses look a bit...how shall I put it...um...lower class and not well maintained (on google maps street view). When we land, we will have a look at it, though.

OYBR - Recliffe is baie nice :ilikeit:

Waar beoog julle om te werk? Onsis in Everton Hills en ons omgewing asook die areas rondom ons soos Albany Creek, Bridgeman Downs, Mcdowall, Ferny Hills, Everton Park, The Gap is almal baie nice areas - hoer en daar sal jy huise kry wat nou nie so mooi opgepas is nie, maar die areas en parke is lieflik!!!

Baie sterkte - laat weet wanneer julle land :ilikeit:

When I was growing up Redcliffe was a far outer area of Brisbane (like bayside, logan etc) and they were all considered battler suburbs and not that nice. As time has passed Redcliffe has changed demographically so it now contains a mix of people and now has many nice houses and areas while still retaining some of the old.

It is really a place that depends on local knowledge. Locals will tell you to live east of this road or north of that one to be in the nicer areas. I think it is because of this mixed demographic that it has stayed so affordable relative to other places as it certainly has some great advantages.

It is the type of place you could live on a budget but feel like you have a millionaire's lifestyle. If in the right spot children can walk/cycle to the beach, there are cycle paths and parks right along the beach front and little cafe areas dotted along the beach road. It is a bayside area so the beaches are no way as nice as proper surf beaches but they are adequate and the totally flat water makes for easier swimming for little ones. In my opinion the beach front parks, trees, paths and bathing pools actually make it nicer than some of the surf beach areas.

Friends who live there tell me when they drive over the big bridge onto the redcliffe peninsula after a day at work they feel instantly relaxed. It is that type of place....quiet, simple, relaxing and friendly. On a sunny day it looks glorious. It is not for me as I'm a city boy and like busier urban life but I can see the attraction for others.

It has the added bonus of being accessible to Brisbane for work and near large shopping areas like North Lakes which has a biggish shopping mall with Ikea and Costco planned. There is also a new train line to Brisbane city under construction.

It is good that you're having a look at it has the "potential" to be the perfect option for you wanting an affordable, quiet, seaside lifestyle in the sun while still having access to jobs.

Edited by Fish

You are going to find that wherever you go there will be a mix of well maintained homes and others that look like they should be pulled down, however, you need to have a look inside those houses, some are absolutely beautiful......it is a bit of a surprise when you get here.

the thing to remember about a lot of places, is that it is the piece of land that is expensive, not necessarily the house ( at least I found that in some suburbs of Perth).

Some of the old fibro or Queenslander style houses in Queensland look awful from the outside, but have beautiful floors and features inside.

I will be really interested to see how your thoughts change once you get here.

My only piece of advice is to go where the work is and then work on the little dream you have.

I agree with Andrea. We got a bit caught out when we arrived as the house had to be just so, but that meant that the rent was more. But it does take a while to adjust to the exteriors of some houses until yousee them inside.

Thank you for everybody's input (and Fish for your beautiful photos...yet again :ilikeit: ).

Just an update: Our main motivation for this move is our little girl :wub: , so we obviously want to do what is best for her. Friends of ours advised us to keep an eye on school ratings when choosing a school for her and, unfortunately, the schools in Redcliffe don't rate too well.

We are now looking at the Sunshine Coast and Maroochydore State School looks very nice :grads: .

Neither of us have work yet and, as I am an English teacher, the Sunshine Coast has more job opportunities too.

Keep those opinions coming. The schools start within 2 weeks of us landing in Brisbane, so there is not much time to shop around. I'm now starting to worry :unsure:

Thank you for everybody's input (and Fish for your beautiful photos...yet again :ilikeit: ).

Just an update: Our main motivation for this move is our little girl :wub: , so we obviously want to do what is best for her. Friends of ours advised us to keep an eye on school ratings when choosing a school for her and, unfortunately, the schools in Redcliffe don't rate too well.

We are now looking at the Sunshine Coast and Maroochydore State School looks very nice :grads: .

Neither of us have work yet and, as I am an English teacher, the Sunshine Coast has more job opportunities too.

Keep those opinions coming. The schools start within 2 weeks of us landing in Brisbane, so there is not much time to shop around. I'm now starting to worry :unsure:

If it is any help our friends girls go to Southern Cross and they all seem happy with it. I think Grace Lutheran is meant to be good as well. While NAPLAN rankings (which I assume is what you used?) are all you have to go on from a distance you will find when you go to schools that the NAPLAN paints a very broad brush. Some schools take them very seriously and coach towards them, others decide they are educationally distracting and unhelpful and pay them lip service. I think a visit to a school (where possible of course) and chatting to other parents is often far more instructive.

I've often heard there is a couple of good schools in Redcliffe. Did you search the whole peninsula? In case you don't realise the Redcliffe peninsula is made up of a suburb called Redcliffe, but also Scarbourough, Newport, Clontarf, Margate, Rothwell and Woody Point. I'm surprised that the Sunshine Coast would have more jobs than the northern suburbs of Brisbane where Redcliffe is. The sunny coast can be a very hard place to find a job. It is often on the unemployment hotspots of australia list. I guess english teaching could be the exception due to supply/demand? Good luck...I guess when you arrive you'll be able to see it all for yourself.

Edited by Fish