Driver test

ShazPas

I am very stressed about doing my drivers test, I have being driving for 19 years, went for two lessons and now I am stressing because of all the steps I have to follow and South Africans only get one chance.

What if I do something wrong in the practical?

Is there anyone out there who has just done the practical test? Tell me if they are very strict, I cannot loose my South African drivers license because I will be going back to SA sometime to wind up my business and house sale.

I am very stressed about doing my drivers test, I have being driving for 19 years, went for two lessons and now I am stressing because of all the steps I have to follow and South Africans only get one chance.

Is there anyone out there who has just done the practical test? Tell me if they are very strict, I cannot loose my South African drivers license because I will be going back to SA sometime to wind up my business and house sale.

I haven't - I was one of those who had it easy and only had to pass a theory test .....

You CAN NOT lose your SA licence by failing an Aussie test - for all the Aussies know it's legitimate to butt other cars out of the way ....

From what I've read, stick to the speed limits and obey the rules of the road and you'll get it, so long as you keep looking around. Basically take some lessons - remember to indicate in traffic circles and you should be 90% there.

Just try not to panic, stay calm and obey the road rules :ilikeit: Let us know how it goes please and good luck!!!!

Can anyone tell me......if you have a valid UK license, do you have to do the test in Oz?

Not with UK,straight conversion, no test.

Can anyone tell me......if you have a valid UK license, do you have to do the test in Oz?

You can just convert in WA - check the state website.

Very Happy, went in today to cancel my driving practical, the lady at the counter said that they received an email yesterday stating that as from the 1 March 2013, South Africa falls under list 2, if you meet the criteria we can just convert our international license to an Australian license, that is the best news ever no more stressing

• Like 5

You are so lucky!

We had to do our tests and yes, you do get stressed, and in fact I failed my first attempt for nearly driving over a pedestrian who was standing in the parking spot outside the test centre. The instructor wrote across my score page, " we MUST stop for pedestrians" .

I can laugh now, but it wasn't funny at the time. Then on my second attempt I had to put my toddler into casual daycare while I did the test, the instructor took me right past the daycare centre where my boy was clutching the fence and howling his poor little eyes out......I was a wreck but managed to pass......and on looking back it wasn't nearly as scary as I had built it up to be.

Congratulations though for all of you who now don't need to do the practical test :)

• Like 1

Very Happy, went in today to cancel my driving practical, the lady at the counter said that they received an email yesterday stating that as from the 1 March 2013, South Africa falls under list 2, if you meet the criteria we can just convert our international license to an Australian license, that is the best news ever no more stressing

Lucky fish!!!

Hopefully this will be applied in Queensland as well???

This is great news for all newcomers!

Yes Lynnie, let's hope that Queensland does the same. One less item on that to do list!

I phoned transport & main roads qld yesterday to ask & they said not as yet. But I'm so hoping they change that ASAP!

Would live to have a Aussies drivers license.

Im pretty sure Ive checked before and SA wasnt on this list but look at this!!!!!!!

For NSW:

The recognition of licences from certain countries (as approved by Austroads) was agreed nationally and commenced in NSW on 20 May 2002 (see Recognised Country A list).

In February 2012, another category of recognised countries was introduced which takes into account driver experience when converting to a NSW driver licence (see Recognised Country B list). This new category allows experienced overseas licence holders over 25 years of age to obtain a NSW car and/or rider licence without the need for computer and driving tests. Recognised Country B licence holders below the age of 25 years are subject to normal testing requirements.

The three tiers of overseas licences Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) considers when converting to a NSW driver licence are:

1. Recognised Country A
  2. Recognised Country B
  3. Non Recognised Country
Recognised Country A

Holders of a class C (car) and/or R (rider) equivalent licence from one of the following countries are exempt from computer and driving tests when applying for a NSW licence of the same class:

• Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Croatia, Denmark,
  • Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey,
  • Ireland, Isle of Man (licences issued since 1 April 1991), Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg,
  • Malta (licences issued since 2 January 2004), Netherlands, New Zealand (except where a paper licence is presented), Norway, Portugal,
  • Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA.
Recognised Country B

Drivers from countries meeting the ‘experienced driver recognition’ (drivers and riders over 25 years of age) are exempt from computer and driving tests when applying for a class C and/or R licence if they hold the equivalent class in one of the countries listed below:

• Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Hong Kong, Hungary
  • Latvia, Lithuania, Poland
  • Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea
  • Taiwan, The Czech Republic

Note: Recognised Country B licence holders below the age of 25 years are subject to normal testing requirements. Exemptions only apply to applicants for Class C (car) and Class R (rider) licences.

Non Recognised Country

Holders of licences from all other countries not included in Recognised Country A or B must undertake computer and driving tests when applying for the equivalent class of NSW licence.

Recognised Countries

If you do hold a licence from a recognised country above and are exempt from licensing tests, it is recommended that you read the Road Users' Handbook and/or the Motorcycle Riders' Handbook to familiarise yourself with the current road rules in NSW.

Roads and Maritime Services reserves the right to require customers to undertake a knowledge test or driving/riding test, and may not issue a licence until it is satisfied that the overseas licence is valid.

• Like 1

Oops. Didnt past the rest when it posted, heres the best part:

Recognised Country B

Drivers from countries meeting the ‘experienced driver recognition’ (drivers and riders over 25 years of age) are exempt from computer and driving tests when applying for a class C and/or R licence if they hold the equivalent class in one of the countries listed below:

• Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Hong Kong, Hungary
  • Latvia, Lithuania, Poland
  • Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea
  • Taiwan, The Czech Republic

Note: Recognised Country B licence holders below the age of 25 years are subject to normal testing requirements. Exemptions only apply to applicants for Class C (car) and Class R (rider) licences.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went in on Monday took 10 min. To convert my South African drivers licence to Australian Licence.

• Like 1

You lucky lucky people.

You've got to love how efficient things run around here - 10 minutes -

Hope you enjoying your new home ShazPas.

I am loving Canberra, I have only been here nearly two months and it feels like I have been living here for years, but still so much to see and do. I see you we're also from Durban.

Glad to hear you're taking to Canberra so well and so quickly - took me a long time to settle in. When we arrived in 2008 Canberra was experiencing terrible droughts - everything was brown and ugly. Had left a beautiful green and lush Durban and landed in a dustbowl.

Hope you are going out to celebrate Canberra's 100th this long weekend.