Private Medical Insurance - some advice please

JacoO

Hi All,

This is a question that has been asked a thousand times, but I cannot find the perfect answers and would like to make the best decision from day one.

** As with SA, there are good and bad medical schemes - I would like to get the inside scoop for the Aus (NSW) market.

I will be looking at "Private Medical" insurance (NSW) within the next month or two.

* My son has "grommits" and his tonsils will have to be removed in a year or so - thus need to jump the queues if it needs attention as it is falling out every 6-months.

** I had a look at Bupa and HCF thus far and trampled through iSelect.com.au

Which Medical Insurer would you recommend and if possible if they will provide "Continuation Cover" as we are moving from Discovery.

I would like to make the correct decision from day-one as a some procedures they cover only from x-months and the longer you are with them the more cover they will provide - I don't want to make a mistake and move after 6months and then again after that from the one to the other insurer.

Any guidance would be appreciated!!

Edited by Jordy

I can only recommend HCF, as I have been with them since I joined, about 12 years ago. I have 100% hospitalisation, and as long as you go to one of their approved hospitals (there are many) then you will be covered 100%, for everything, from the moment you walk through the front door, until the moment you leave again.

I do not have "extras" so cannot give any advice on that, or on waiting times.

We are very happy with Medibank. I have had the extras cover for about 7 months now and am amazed how much we can claim for. The limits you see online are per person so way better than anything we had in SA. Most of the time they put the invoice through after the appointment and you just pay the balance of a few dollars. If not, you submit the invoice online and the money is in your account the next day.

With most of the medical aids here they are so keen to get your business that they drop the waiting periods. The only one they refused to budge on was orthodontics for which there is a 12 month wait.

I only took out hospital cover last week over the phone. There were no questions asked about health, no waiting periods as far as I know. I got the first month free. No one asked if I had previously been on a medical aid.

I have to phone them for something else this morning so I will ask them about tonsils and grommits and let you know later.

• Like 1

Note that iSelect does not show all providers (only shows those that will pay commission) so also have a look at http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/dynamic/compare.aspx

In terms of "continuity of cover", Australian health funds will probably recognise your time served at Discovery and waive any waiting periods as Discovery is registered with The International Federation of Health Plans (http://www.ifhp.com/members.html). So just confirm with them before signing-up.

• Like 1

Anyone else with advice? Sorry to hijack the post but I've been with Medibank for 6 years and am contemplating switching to BUPA, according to them I'd be paying $80 less a month and be able to claim more back for dental etc, I only seem to get about 20% with Medibank although the hospital cover was good.

Not to worry - think the more replies we get to this question the more all the current & future forumites will benefit :)

• Like 1

I phoned Medibank this morning and was told that there are waiting periods for Hospital cover. 12 months for pre existing conditions and 2 months for everything else. If you transfer from an Australian health fund the waiting periods are waivered but overseas medical aids are not considered.

Sorry for the incorrect info given this morning.

• Like 1

I'd just like to add that Medibank definitely won't recognise the time spent with Discovery, and waive the waiting periods. I'm not sure which Australian medical insurance providers would?

I'd just like to add that Medibank definitely won't recognise the time spent with Discovery, and waive the waiting periods. I'm not sure which Australian medical insurance providers would?

BUPA waived all waiting periods for me. I had to provide a certificate of membership from Discovery before they approved it.