Sim Cards in South Africa

HAM84

Hallo everyone,

My wife and I are travelling back to SA in a few weeks time for a holiday and I was wondering if anyone knows about getting a sim card at the airport?

Last time we were there they wanted proof of South African address and as I am a permanent resident of Australia, I don't have that.

Any answers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Hannes

Last time I was there was 2009. I went to Pep stores and bought one for R2 (I kid you not) and then bought a vodakom charge for whatever and activated it all - was online in about 30 mins ... The only thing they wanted to see at the time was the silly coin. :)

Things MAY have changed.

Edited by OubaasDik

Yes, there is now a thing called RICA - The Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of communication-Related Information Act :whome:

Maybe you could get more into info here

http://www.gds.co.za/?page=rica_info

Edited by wendym

Yes, there is now a thing called RICA - The Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of communication-Related Information Act :whome:

Maybe you could get more into info here

http://www.gds.co.za/?page=rica_info

Funny how we scrapped the old Nat laws and everyone had almost unlimited freedom of speech and now we have laws that the Nats would have envied .... Ah, the black Nats, except more corrupt and way more useless.

But he wasn't asking for a rant .....

• Like 3

Gaan praat jou :censored: op n ander plek. Ek vra net oor n sim kaart nie jou politieke opinie nie.

Gaan praat jou :censored: op n ander plek. Ek vra net oor n sim kaart nie jou politieke opinie nie.

I want to reply but I'm speechless......

Strange - I did say he wasn't asking for a rant - oh well .....

What does the general tourist from across the globe do about getting a simcard in South Afica, the same way you would get it in any other country. We are going over as well soon, and would also like to get one at the airport if we can. Would love to hear from snyone who's done this before without RICA

@immi+

I don't have any actual first hand experience with this, but according to the website I posted above, you still need to register the sim card and can do so using your foreign passport.

Foreign visitors w have had, the lady at the bed and breakfast's had a few SIM cards that she had gotten on her ID and address. And then lent it to them for the duration of their stay. They loaded airtime. And then gave SIM card back when they left.

She did that because she had a lot of foreign visitors and they all had problem with RICA obviously. And it was part of the service they got there. And they sent their friends to stay with her because of this reason...

I thought that was very clever.

Foreign visitors w have had, the lady at the bed and breakfast's had a few SIM cards that she had gotten on her ID and address. And then lent it to them for the duration of their stay. They loaded airtime. And then gave SIM card back when they left.

She did that because she had a lot of foreign visitors and they all had problem with RICA obviously. And it was part of the service they got there. And they sent their friends to stay with her because of this reason...

I thought that was very clever.

Until someone uses the card as a bomb trigger...........................like the guy did in Glasgow, he used a card that belonged to an acquaintance. His mate was done for been part of a terrorist gang.

From my experience in my last 2 visits, they said a letter or proof from your hotel saying you're staying there should be sufficient if you have a foreign passport. I did that once and last year I took a letter from my dad saying that I was staying with them whilst on holiday in SA...

Also, if you can wait, I would try to buy one from a supermarket rather than the airport. The airport charges hundreds compared to a few rand at the supermarket...

• Like 1