Immigrate or Emigrate?!? Which is which? LOL!

SmellyN

Thought this might be a fun thought of the day!: :whome::P^_^

How many of you have wondered as to which word you are supposed to use in written communications??? :wacko::huh:

I've checked it up a number of times, however come across a number of times people using the opposite to what I use (Immigrate) & find myself doubting my abilities & hitting the nearest dictionary for research (AGAIN!!) Not to say I'm at all correct this is just how I see it.... :blink:

SOooooo .....According to Oxford English Dictionary: :grads:

Immigrate : v.t. (Verb) come into a foreign country as a permanent resident :congratulations::ilikeit:

Immigration: n (Noun)

Emigrate : v.i. (Verb) leave one country and go to settle in another.

Emigration: n (Noun) :ilikeit::glare::unsure:

I just don't know! I think that why I've stuck to Immigration, because I want to reside their PERMANENTLY & not just "settle"! LOL! :P:D:lol:

Opinions anyone?? :blink::whome::lol:

The way I understand it (I might be wrong): When you are leaving you Emigrate (Exit). When you arrive, you Immegrate (come In). So, when you leave South Africa, you emigrate, but when the Ozzies meet you, you are an immigrant to them..I think?

It depends on who is "looking" at you: The South Africans or the Ozzies. :-)

Edited by CherylC
  • Like 2

The way I always remember it is (E)migrate is when a migrant (E)xits their country of usual residence and and (I)mmigrate is what the migrant does when they come (I)nto the country they have chose to live in. Useles piece of info but there it is.

Yup - a lot of people get that wrong, but it's not a total train smash unless they do it in the IELTS.

The other thing that a lot of people have problems with are the difference between advice and advise. Again - English may not be their first language.

Like those Boertjies back in SA who could never would out when to use have and has and the difference between lend and borrow - again doesn't make a huge difference. Face to face I'd extract the urine from them, but it's difficult over the interwebs to judge when you've overdone it. I suppose a return post "F#ck off you poncy B@stard" would be a hint. :)

• Like 1

Yup - a lot of people get that wrong, but it's not a total train smash unless they do it in the IELTS.

The other thing that a lot of people have problems with are the difference between advice and advise. Again - English may not be their first language.

Like those Boertjies back in SA who could never would out when to use have and has and the difference between lend and borrow - again doesn't make a huge difference. Face to face I'd extract the urine from them, but it's difficult over the interwebs to judge when you've overdone it. I suppose a return post "F#ck off you poncy B@stard" would be a hint. :)

:lol:

@Al SOOOO agree with the advice/advise issue :grads: ! As an English teacher it's amazing how irritating grammar errors can be!

Free "Words easily confused" lesson to anyone interested :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by OnYellowBrickRd
  • Like 1