Update...3 days since landing in Perth!

Elmarie61

Hi everyone,

I flew out of Jhb on Saturday, and spent 3 wonderful days enjoying Bangkok with my mom. Had some thai massages to de stress, great food and even better shopping.

On tuesday morning we arrived at the airport to catch our flight to Perth.

At the Thai International check in desk, the guy tells me 'sorry, your Australian Visa has been cancelled, I can't allow you on the flight'. Queue car crash sounds, panic attacks and sheer terror...

I showed him my visa grant letter and he said he can see that it looks valid, but he cant find me on the electronic system, so he will have to contact Aus immigration.

Just take a minute and picture yourself sitting in Thailand, finding out the Visa that took you more than 2 years to get seems to have been cancelled....

He asked us to step to the side and wait. So there I am, sitting on my bags, watching everyone on my flight check in and proceed through customs. Eventually I see my plane has started to board, and I still havent checked in. No news, more than an hour has passed.

Finally a Thai lady came to tell me there seems to be a problem because my passport number does not match my new post-marriage surname. Even though I let immigration know, and I have a visa grant letter both for my maiden name and new surname.

Another 10 minutes pass and its almost time for last boarding call for my plane.

Finally aus immigration pulls through, all is fine they made a mistake and the system is now updated...

And i could breathe again.

So then my mom and I had about 5 min to go through customs (which includes x rays and removing shoes), and to run to the correct gate. We were the last people to board.

It was a horrible experience that I do not wish on anyone!

I pictured myself flying back to SA having to explain to hubby that we have no visa, and now also no jobs or a house. Eeeek.

Anyway, we landed in Perth safely. We had an absolutely wonderful river cruise in Mandurah, where the dolphins came out and swam with our boat, jumped and played and were so friendly.

I have also managed to buy a nice car, ford focus ghia, and scratched it on the way out of the dealership....

And when I got home I dropped a glass...

So, so far, lots of mishaps. But I am loving it here. I sleep well, the people are friendly, my new collegues have blown me away with how welcome they have made me feel, the sun is shining and the ocean is a gorgeous blue. I will take it all with a smile. So happy to be here.

Work officially starts for me next tuesday. Tomorrow I am off to rottnest Island, followed by my first Australia day! Excited!!!

Hope my rambling post made some of you smile. ;)

• Like 12

Glad to hear that all turned out well! I'm a little nervous now. When we got our visa grant letter, my daughter's passport number was incorrect. I let the agent know immediately and she took some time with a reply from Pretoria? saying that it's not necessary to redo the letter but letting us know that their system is updated.

Should I trust this?

Enjoy your time off and good luck with the new start :ilikeit:

Congrats on your landing....must have been pretty nerve wracking hearing about the visa...Im so happy it all worked out fine...I hope you enjoy all of it!

Wendym, dont worry about it, if they could sort mine out at 5 in the morning, you will be fine.

Just get to the airport very early, in case there are issues.

If you are very worried, get the paper visa put into your passport.

Thats the nice thing with aus, things do go wrong, but here they can FIX the problem!! Hooray!

• Like 1

Wendym, dont worry about it, if they could sort mine out at 5 in the morning, you will be fine.

Just get to the airport very early, in case there are issues.

If you are very worried, get the paper visa put into your passport.

Thats the nice thing with aus, things do go wrong, but here they can FIX the problem!! Hooray!

Thanks Elmarie61. I feel a whole lot better! You're a gem

WendyM, I am a control freak too(if I remember correctly you have called yourself one in a previous post?!)

One can never have enough info and lists. :D!

Goodluck with your move. Where are you heading?

WendyM, I am a control freak too(if I remember correctly you have called yourself one in a previous post?!)

One can never have enough info and lists. :D!

Goodluck with your move. Where are you heading?

Yes, I do admit to being a control freak! And my OH reminds me constantly

Thank you for the support, I will certainly be following your posts. We're heading for WA, probably Mandurah. Are you in Perth City?

• Like 1

You can relax now....the glass was no 3

So theoretically speaking it should be smooth sailing from here on!

Brad, you are right!

I was actually joking tonight and saying I am waiting for number 3... But I wasnt counting this visa disaster.

Phew, so its time for the good vibes to come! ;)

Wendym, I am teaching at a school in Mandurah! Small world?!

Mandurah is breathtaking by the way. And we get to call it home! :D

Wow! A small world indeed. Can I PM you questions about the schools in Mandurah when we're closer to knowing for sure? Is it primary or high school?

Welcome Down Under!

• Like 1

You can pm me anytime. Hopefully by then I know the answers!

I am at a Christian Private school, from kindergarden to high school.

School hasnt started yet but I have been for a visit and the facilities are absolutely amazing.

But since I am in teaching circles I should get to know the surrounding schools also.

When is your planned arrival, and how old is your girl?

That sounds awesome!

OH should arrive early May and we'll follow end July. My daughter will be 6 in July. She'll start at pre-primary when we arrive

Thanks for the post Elmarie61...and what an adventure for you! So glad that you have arrived safely and wish you only happiness from here in!

LOL! Now I can see why someone else INSISTED on paying the extra fee (think it was about $79) for the visa tag to be put into the passport as well for hard-evidence!! Can't blame the other countries for making sure though: Australia hits the airlines with fines & having to transport the deported passengers back to their origins if they land the other end & things aren't in order!

• Like 1

Oh Elmarie, I had a good giggle. Soon you'll look back and giggle as well!

My husband is returning from Oz tomorrow - he went for interviews and had a connecting flight from Hong Kong to Adelaide on the way there. When he needed to declare any food with him, he mentioned the M&Ms he bought in Hong Kong (we've been watching Border Security!). As he handed his passport to the lady, they both spotted the big, colourfull blob of M&Ms stuck to the front of his passport. Thank heavens he declared them!!! He was extremely embarrased and the lady saw the humour in it. She just took a piece of paper and scratched it off. These are the things that make good memories!

Good luck and enjoy all your experiences! We'll soon be going as well!

Elmarie61...my heart stopped as I read your post - "pat on back" for your bravery and maintaining composure :ilikeit:

I look forward to reading your progress and wish you all the best on this fantastic venture - g'luck and well done!

Hi Elmarie,

Welcome to Perth! I think you hit the nail on the head, things in Aus sometimes do go wrong, but the processes and people are efficient and problems usually get sorted quickly.

Don't hesitate to ask or PM if you have any specific questions as you settle in.

z

Shame man!! Kan net dink hoe erg dit moes gewees het :o Bly jy is veilig en gelukkig, baie sterkte met alles wat voorle :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: