Best banks and rates to transfer to SA account

KIMO

Hi All,

I am now looking at opening an Aus bank account from this end for when we arrive and want to start putting money in from this side asap.

Can anyone comment on which bank is most resonably priced but with good service?

Also what is the average they would charge for you to transfer money to your SA account on occassions?

Do they charge you to make deposits to your Aus account?

Thanks a mill for any advice you may have :ilikeit:

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Aus for business for 1 week and opened an account with AnZ on a Saturday when I was there.

It was quite quick and easy. I pay $2 per month for a Cheque account and a Savings Account. But this is only limited transactions (I think about 6 per month) For $5 per month I think you can do way more transactions.

When I go for the check in visit in March, I will order my card for the account which is already open and active.

With ANZ you can do your transfers online, if you have that facility, and the cost to you would be $24 if you transfer the amount in ZAR and it will be $32 if you transfer the amount in AUD. The charge remains the same, regardless of the amount you are transferring. These are the costs charged by ANZ for doing the transfer, no idea whether or not your RSA bank will have charges for receiving the money.

Seems Westpac maybe the best option at least that I have come across so far.

They offer 1st year zero account fees for Immigrants and any online transfers to SA at $20 per transfer......that seems pretty reasonable to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I opened my NAB account from SA via their website. Savings account, no monthly service fees from what I have seen,

I can't access directly, only transfer to it and I have it linked to my Oz paypal acc. Once I present myself with my password I will gain access however until then if I need any info, statements, balance, I just email them and get an answer a few hours later.

Imagine emailing an SA bank (Capitec is not so bad) and getting a response in regard to your account balance, transactions etc..

The only time SA banks communicate to you appears to be when you owe them money.