Baby support in Aus!

john-gill

I just have to say how impressed I am with how helpful people in Aus have been!!

I arrived here in October - 3 months ahead of my husband - only to find out that I was already pregnant! It was a very welcome suprise, but a suprise nonetheless. :whome:

People here - even strangers - have been INCREDIBLY helpful and generous. We've been given so much stuff for the baby that we are almost fully sorted for him (due 22 June 2007). And if you've had kids, you know how much stuff a baby needs! We've been given clothes, changers, baby carriers...we've really been astounded by the generosity shown to us.

We've found the Australian people to be so supportive and welcoming, and we're thrilled to be having our first baby here where we get so much support - including from the govt. The govt's support system is unbelievable too - there is no answer you can't get from the state funded website and other educational initiatives - and it's so easy to access!

I'll stop waxing lyrical about it now, I just wanted to let people know that Aus is a fantastic place to have a baby, so if you have any concerns, you have no need. :D

I just have to say how impressed I am with how helpful people in Aus have been!!

I arrived here in October - 3 months ahead of my husband - only to find out that I was already pregnant! It was a very welcome suprise, but a suprise nonetheless. :lol:

People here - even strangers - have been INCREDIBLY helpful and generous. We've been given so much stuff for the baby that we are almost fully sorted for him (due 22 June 2007). And if you've had kids, you know how much stuff a baby needs! We've been given clothes, changers, baby carriers...we've really been astounded by the generosity shown to us.

We've found the Australian people to be so supportive and welcoming, and we're thrilled to be having our first baby here where we get so much support - including from the govt. The govt's support system is unbelievable too - there is no answer you can't get from the state funded website and other educational initiatives - and it's so easy to access!

I'll stop waxing lyrical about it now, I just wanted to let people know that Aus is a fantastic place to have a baby, so if you have any concerns, you have no need. :ilikeit:

I would like to echo Gills comments. When my wife and I moved to Aus 6yrs ago we had a 18mnth old daughter and my wife was 6mnths pregnant. It was tough going, but people have been very helpful and supportive - even strangers on the street helping to get a pram on a train or bus, giving up their seat (not always, but 98% of time). Back then our 60+yr old neighbours who we had only known for a month or so - prepared to babysit and even brought over food on the day my son was born.

Not sure if this is still the case, but at Customs going down the VIP channel and not having to stand in the Customs queue. If you are newly arriving in Aus with kids under 3 or 4 or a baby - dont be scared to ask Custom officials if you can use the VIP/crew queue - also does not hurt to get your child to whinge/whine a bit :holy:

Rgds

matman

Not sure if this is still the case, but at Customs going down the VIP channel and not having to stand in the Customs queue. If you are newly arriving in Aus with kids under 3 or 4 or a baby - dont be scared to ask Custom officials if you can use the VIP/crew queue - also does not hurt to get your child to whinge/whine a bit :P

Rgds

matman

Thanks for the tip :whome: I've got 2 of those (under 3 year old) just hope they don't ask aload why I pinched them :)

• 2 weeks later...

Families with children under 5 still get special attention.