Wisdom Teeth extractions?

dazzmatazz

Hi All

I know that many of you have said that dental costs are very high compared with SA and that medicare does not cover it.

What I would like to know is, does wisdom teeth extractions fall into this same category. I am due to land in WA on a PR visa in the next 4 weeks. I have just had an appointment with a dental surgeon and I am probably going to have to pay in about R4000 if I have it done in SA as Discovery will cover the rest.

From a cost point of view should I get it done in SA or wait till I am in OZ and get it done there? Although they need to come out I can wait another couple months if need be.

Thanks in advance.

OK, this I can help with.

I had a tooth break (badly) such that the dentist shook his head sadly and said "I can do a root canal and then a cap, but in six months you'll be back - not enough to work with".

He pointed out from the X-Rays that the root was abscessed as well - the reason it wasn't hurting was that the roots had extended into my sinus and so weren't creating pressure, so if he extracted it, and it came out without fun and games and laughter for all, I would be left with a set of holes from my mouth into my sinuses. (Isn't that a lovely picture?)

So he packed me off to an Oral and maxillofacial surgeon, who turned out to have been at uni with me, in the same residence, just a few years offset. We had a long chat and then he gave me the same story, and said he could do it all and plug the holes, since a party trick of squirting your drink out your nose gets old fast.

Is anyone very uncomfortable yet? :P

So for the one tooth, I had to pay him $750 of which medical paid back $170

I had to pay the anaesthetist $450 most of which I can claim back, and I had to pay the hospital $60 for the use of a bed for an hour or so and the use of the operating theatre (this was the excess that the medical and medicare did not pay).

So if you did the same, it'd probably be 4 x $750 (minus the weeny bit) - maybe subject to negotiation

An anaesthetist - you may not need one if you elect to sit in a chair while he works.

A place to do the deed.

Short story - do it in SA.

Edited by OubaasDik

Thanks OubaasDik

I have just paid R400 for the consult with the surgeon and R400 for the x-rays. So would almost have kicked myself if I had of wasted that money.

Fortunately I have a little extra money and can afford the 4k.

I just got the official quote and it is R5700. Would it make a difference to how much to pay in if you have medical aid or medibank?

Thanks

Do it here, I am going with Stage 1 of 3 implant and will come back and do the balance. The first dentist made a mess and the next one not much better but in AUS its over AU$5700 where here its starts at R15k. Rather spend the money on an air ticket....then beware if there are complications re infection afterwards

Do it here, I am going with Stage 1 of 3 implant and will come back and do the balance. The first dentist made a mess and the next one not much better but in AUS its over AU$5700 where here its starts at R15k. Rather spend the money on an air ticket....then beware if there are complications re infection afterwards

Hi May

Is that AU$5700 with OZ medical Aid (I dont know what to call it). Would that make a difference?

You see this is my dilemma. In RSA it will cost me R5700 to have my wisdom teeth extracted. I don't need it done any time soon and can afford to wait 6 or more months. OuBaas has helped out to say that with normal medilink it will cost in the region of AU$750 x 4 which is way more than R5700. But if one has medical aid in OZ does any one know how much it could be.

Thanks again for the help.

PS a side note, 2x are impacted and 2 are normal extractions.

In Australia, there are no medicare benefits for any dental procedures, whatsoever, so you will get absolutely no assistance from Medicare for the dental work you need done, regardless of what visa you are on!

If you take out private medical cover, they will cover some of it, but as this is a pre-existing condition, you will have to probably wait a year to have it done.

Take the advice of all above, have it done in South Africa.

• Like 1

Boet when I said medical would cover $170 out of the $750 that WAS the private medical - medicare were prepared to chip in a bit on the hospital stay and the private medical paid the rest except for the $60.

Medicare won't pay anything for the anaesthetist, but private will pay some of it.

Get it done in SA.

Just to let you know, we live in a small mining town so do tend to pay more at our dentist than in the cities. Yesterday whilst eating lunch the whole front of one of my molars just broke off, half the tooth right up to the gum line. I've just come back from the dentist, ideally I need a crown as there is not much of the tooth left but that would cost $1500, so instead he just removed the old filling and put a new one in, advised me not to eat on that side and isn't sure how long it will last.

Cost for one filling $250. Medibank private, my medical insurance company paid just $74 and I paid $176. Dental work is very, very expensive here.

Going to get it done later today. Thanks for all the feedback.

Best of luck - I didn't enjoy it, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever done.

Thanks for that. I am not in too much pain and the bleeding seems to have stopped. I have a feeling that I will be good in 24 hours time.

Had it done under local anesthetic so the cost will actually come down too :glare: .

Thanks for that. I am not in too much pain and the bleeding seems to have stopped. I have a feeling that I will be good in 24 hours time.

Had it done under local anesthetic so the cost will actually come down too :glare: .

Brave .... I was too cowardly for that.

Since you're so tough, I dare you to eat a peanut brittle :P

Brave .... I was too cowardly for that.

Since you're so tough, I dare you to eat a peanut brittle :P

Funny how all of a sudden all the fast food adds seem that much more appealing. I enjoy peanut brittle but oh my the blood would start pouring, not a nice thought.

• Like 1