Baggage Allowance

Guest May

I need to find time to call Qantas but maybe someone on the forum knows. IOM/ Qantas allowance is 2x23kgs....does it matter how big the case is as I have found a huge one dirt cheap/ also can I substitute a suitcase with a box ...and what dimensions on the box.

The case cannot be heavier than, I think 32kgs each, that is the heaviest cases the airlines will usually handle. Yes you can use a box, if you ensure that it is the same dimensions or smaller than a case that will take 23kgs, you should be ok. You need to think of this though, let us say you arrive at your Australian port of entry and they want to inspect your box, how are you going to close it again, do not expect them to have tape waiting, so that you can close your box again. You are better off just ensuring you have two suitcases, will make it a lot easier on you and a lot easier to handle, as well.

no 1 piece exceeding 158cm (62in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

Note: No single item of checked baggage may exceed 32kg (70lb).

From Qantas website!

We are allowed 2 pieces of checked luggage not weighing more than 50 pounds a piece...I think it is because we are travelling from the US. It has diffferent requirements...call the airline personally to make sure :)

• 4 months later...

Why would you use a box though. just curious

Because you don't waste weight allowance on the heaviness of a suitcase.

We're using the cheap bags you get at the chinese shops and will be wrapping them in plastic at the airport. If they inspect at customs in Oz it's not a problem as they have a zip so there isn't the issue of them being re-sealed.