Bringing your parents over

Guest Bronwyn

Guest Bronwyn

I decided to spend some time in the DIAC website the other night trying to understand this issue, but it is confusing to me. Am I correct in assuming:-

-You must have PR to sponsor a parent over

-At least half of the siblings should live in Australia with PR (Or is it acceptable if one sibling has PR & one has a temp visa?)

-If you don't have the contributory amount you can basically forget about it due to long queues

-The parent will be allowed to work and study here

-The parent will not qualify for an age pension for at least 10 years after moving here

-The parent must first get a Temp Contributory Visa, then a Permanent Contributory Visa? Or can it all be done at once?

- How much does the Contributory Visa cost in all? I can't work it out because I'm not sure if they must apply for the Temp. one first? Is there and additional contribution over & above the actual visa costs? So is it about $29k or more??? :whome:

- How long is the real queue for this Contributory Visa? Does anyone know?

Basically my mom is 57, divorced, has no money and no pension in SA (Except R800pm to look forward to). I am concened that she has made no provision for her old age. Luckily we jointly bought her townhouse 3 years back that has appreciated in value, so she has somewhere safe to live. She will not be able to carry on her business much longer.

I accept if she were to come to Aus we would have to be financially responsible for her.

My brother should be living in Aus before the end of 2007 and then 2 out of 3 of three siblings should be here, but not yet with PR.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I would appreciate it. :D

Thanks Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn

I'm going to try and answer your questions in point form:

- Yes

- Balance of family requires legal permanent residence

- Umm, yes

- Yes

- Yes

- No, you can apply for the Permanent first shot

- the application fee works out at AUD30K and then the AOS bond is AUD10K which is refunded after ten years

- There doesn't seem to be a queue for this visa, just the processing time. My mom's took about six months (beats the fifteen years she was looking at on the normal visa)

Its a big ask in terms of money, but if you have the wherewithal it is the route to choose. My sister-in-law's mother (sorry, gets confusing) is also on this visa and not only working but studying at Notre Dame! (and about to turn 70 - way to go)

Hope this helped

Cindy

There are exceptions to the rule Bronwyn.

My uncle is here on a 457 Visa. His mother in law just came along on a normal 1 year visitors visa. When they got here their agent helped them proof that she is dependent on them and she has now been added to his 457 Visa. My uncle's wife has 2 other brothers in South Africa but this was not taken into consideration as they proofed that her mother was living with them before moving here. She did have to undergo a whole series of medical examinations etc but it worked for them.

Hi Cindylou,

Can't tell you how happy I was reading your response! :D

I really need to get my parents to Oz asap!

Tell me if I've got the 136 visa does that mean I've got PR or do I have to be in Oz for 2-4years before I can apply for them to join me?

Is it a very long and difficult process?

Thanks Hayley

Edited by Trevor & Hayley

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Cindylou

Thanks so much for the response, it seems to be quite good news!

We still have at least 2 years to PR (here on a business visa and still have to get that up & running), but at least my mom is not very old yet....

Just wondering for interest's sake, will my mom get any old age pension here after 10 years? I read something to this effect in DIAC's webste, but surely that is unlikely as she has never contributed financially to anything in Australia?

Didn't make sense to me.

:D

Michelle - thanks for your idea, but I'm not sure whether I could prove my mom is financially dependent on us, as she lives on her own (but we have paid the bond for the past 4 years, so who knows???). She earns a small amount herself. Maybe it is worth trying that route....not sure. Will think about it on PR.

Edited by Bronwyn

My dad is coming over as a dependant on our application. You need to show emotional dependency and some level of financial dependency but once done it shouldn't be a problem. We had a set of pre-medicals done for him to ensure we wouldn't run into problems down the line. As a dependant, if they fail the medical then they can cause the entire application to be rejected so there is a bit of a risk there.

HI,

What are the medical requirements? Is there somewhere I can look into the health requirements? I ask because both my parents have high blood pressure and my dad has osteoarthiritis. But not major things...other than that they are very healthy!

Thanks Hayley

Do you have to be PR for two years (or two tax returns) before your parents are allowed to apply for contrib parent visa?

HI,

What are the medical requirements? Is there somewhere I can look into the health requirements? I ask because both my parents have high blood pressure and my dad has osteoarthiritis. But not major things...other than that they are very healthy!

Thanks Hayley

Treatable chronics seem to be accepted - our agent said that people with cancer had even been accepted. They need to rule out certain dangerous illnesses like TB and I would imagine HIV.