Visa processing queue

Just to let you all know....We couriered our STNI application subclass 137 visa to Adelalide well over a month ago and I phoned the Adelaide Skilled Processing Unit this morning to find out whether they'd received it. Spoke to a very helpful chap and he informed me that the wait is oh so long right now because of the huge volume of applications being received and processed on a daily basis. Although we had originally prepared ourselves for a 4-8 month wait for our visas, apparently, according to him, there's about a seven month delay in being assigned a case officer. Once the case officer has been assigned, he assured me that the paperwork takes about 2-5 months to complete. We thought it would be wise to frontload our visas and we sent our medicals at the same time. In retrospect, we'll probably have to redo those! Boy oh boy! Its a long but worthwhile wait and well done to those of you who have received your visas already!!

We were advised by our migration consultant not to speed things up with the medicals and police clearance as the chances are thare you will then have to go again for it !! It is a long wait I agree. Cannot understand why it takes so long. I think they must have an "open day" into the offices of the DIMA so that we can see what they are up to. We lodged our 136 PR in September 2006 and still waiting. We don't even have a CO yet !!!

When we were first looking at applying in Oct 2005 we were told to expect an eight month wait for a CO. We applied in May 2006 and were allocated our CO in December (exactly 7 months) so not much has changed.

We submitted our meds, PCC and AOS bond in Feb and are still waiting for ANYTHING from DIAC. If time is of the essence then I would strongly recommend front-loading your meds and PCC about two months before you expect to be allocated a CO, as they take between one and two months to process the medicals.

(still waiting)

Cindylou

When we were first looking at applying in Oct 2005 we were told to expect an eight month wait for a CO. We applied in May 2006 and were allocated our CO in December (exactly 7 months) so not much has changed.

We submitted our meds, PCC and AOS bond in Feb and are still waiting for ANYTHING from DIAC. If time is of the essence then I would strongly recommend front-loading your meds and PCC about two months before you expect to be allocated a CO, as they take between one and two months to process the medicals.

(still waiting)

Cindylou

We applied in June and were allocated a C.O.in Feb

Now waiting ....

Why don't they appoint more personnel / case officers etc. This is a service we are paying for - A$1990 per file for 136 application. Even if it is only contract workers for a year or so untill the backlog have been processed.

One can still hope and dream ....

Why don't they appoint more personnel / case officers etc.

My guess would be that it is to limit the number of new immigrants so that their administration and infrastructure can keep up with the number of new arrivals...

According to me, applications have doubled but their target for migrants have remained the same. In the range of 120,000 each year maybe.

So there there is no need for them to increase the number of Case Officers.

If the govt of Oz decides to increase the no of migrants, then certainly c.o will increase and our application will go faster.

karen

This situation has been going on for years and years in Australia. They check each application out with a fine tooth comb and verify the facts. The Australians want to make sure that you are whom you say you are.

No unwanted persons wanted in Australia !!!!! Be grateful that they screen each and every application.

Dont be so impatient- Rome was not built in a day. Every other country in the world has similar if not longer delays.

We waited a year for our 136 visa. It is a long hard wait, we just wanted to start living our lives again. It sometimes feels like you are wishing your live away. Now that we have the visa and sold the house things are going so fast (not complaining), so keep the faith, it will happen. Try to enjoy what SA has to offer so you can close that chapter for good ones you get your visa.

Liza

PS still sucks to wait that long

We started our process in October 2005, finally submitted our application in May 2006, CO in December 2006, last documents submitted in Feb 2007 and NOW we WAIT and it does suck.

It's not that we are impatient, the fact of the matter is that you feel as if your life is on hold from the moment you make the decision to move. I've had to make some hard choices with regards to employment, my partner has to sell his businesses and needs to have an idea of timelines in order to do that, we have to book our "babies" into quarantine etc. Then there are the small things like do we buy a new washing machine, or fix the old one and leave it here? Do we buy that lovely rug or would it go to waste in Aus? As I say, everything seems to go on hold during the wait.

I would love to start a human family, but have decided not to do that in SA, don't know how long I'll have to wait until we're financially able to have kids in Aus and in the interim my baby making capacity is winding down, so we may never be able to have kids.

Once we receive a positive response from DIAC we can finally make concrete plans, set dates etc. and if that makes me appear impatient then so be it.

Cindylou

Hi All,

Whenever I think of the long wait for Australia, I think about the people in the queue for Canada ;) . I know of a family on SaCanada who submitted their application for Permanent Residence for Canada in June 2004 and they are still waiting :D . Seems like the wait for Canada is +/- 3 years… :ilikeit: Don’t know how they do it :D !

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Cindy

Just to let you know i feel exactly the same - Life on hold

Our application was acknowledged as received in June 2006.

To date we have supplied all information requested by our C.O.and our medicals seems to have been cleared by LCU. So ....the rest now is entirely in the hands of APSC.

Don't worry for your family issue... I'm sure the grant of visa to you will be followed by another good news --- a baby in the pipeline

Karen

Hi Cindy

This all sounds rather demotivating. At least your application is in and in the process. We haven't started yet and I was hoping that we could be there in January 2008 so that the kids can start university and school. Seems like it will not be possible, unless we get a sponsor.

Does anybody have any advise regarding this? Do you think it will be advisable if a husband/wife go over first if there is a sponsor, and the other stay behind until they can join in the new year? Did anybody go this route yet.

Regards

Rocky

Wow!

We lodged in December 06 and were informed that it would be about 6 months. Seems we can only expect a result from July onwards - what a pa lava! B)

Hi Cindy

This all sounds rather demotivating. At least your application is in and in the process. We haven't started yet and I was hoping that we could be there in January 2008 so that the kids can start university and school. Seems like it will not be possible, unless we get a sponsor.

Does anybody have any advise regarding this? Do you think it will be advisable if a husband/wife go over first if there is a sponsor, and the other stay behind until they can join in the new year? Did anybody go this route yet.

Regards

Rocky

Hi Rocky

We started in Feb last year and submitted out visa in Dec. It looks like it will be a 6-8 month wait for a case officer so if you want to arrive sooner, the sponsored visa may be the way. My wife and I are looking at a similar situation; I am waiting to hear about a job offer in Melbourne this week and if it comes through I may consider going over and setting up on that side in the next 4 months or so. Pros: less disruption to our son - will come to a settled environment on that side and I will be able to advise Jill on all the little things that have to happen when you get there. Cons: I don't get to see my son and wife for a couple of months :) which will be very very hard for me.

Long term though it is a personal decision and may well be the right decision for us.

Hi Stuart and Jill

Perhaps that will be the answer for us as well. Will have to check out all possiblities. Things are just a bit of a mess with the children, with one still having to go one year and the other that must start with university next year. Tough choices.

Regards

Rocky

It seems it is a 6 month wait for a CO. We lodged the last week in September 2006 and was allocated a CO the last week in March and are now required to go for medicals. According to the Immigration Company once the medicals are in Oz it takes them 2 months to give an ok that we are healthy and a month to issue the VISA. Hold on your time will come.

Hi all

I have visited Dima at Northbridge ,Perth .A very friendly lady their told me they are only 10 people working their ,they process 165 work visas a day ( just 457 work visa ) and 40 000 a year for western Australia ,this does not even include the permanent visas ,holiday visas and parent visas ( Northbridge is the main office doing all the parent visas )They also still have to do general offices duties and help customers coming to their office. I think that is the main reasons they take so very long processing visas.

Some progress. A Case officer was appointed in our Application during March 2007. Our 136 Visa Application was lodged in September 2006 so it took them 6 months. The suggested time wait is anything between 6 - 9 months. We are going for medicals in April. It takes another 1 - 2 months for the medicals to be finalised and if all is well another month for the Visa to be issued. You eventually get there but it is very frustrating !