Perth - Hell it's hot, it's hell.

Jacques Voogt

P.S Fashion tips from " thong man" pmsl

• Like 1

P.S Fashion tips from " thong man" pmsl

My thong caught fire at the thought of your boots ........... :)

"pmsl" - I think I can work it out, but .... If it is what I think it is, congratulations - no more LOL and ROFL for me either.

Yes I urinated with gaiety when I saw it too, I will probably use it to death and then move on to the next " hip" acronym, this from a woman old enough to remember when LOL meant " Lots of Love" .

Glad you've gotten rid of the thong, but won't that make you " nekidd" .......in front of your computer? I'm sure there will be a law against that.......nanny state an' all .

Edited to remove a stray apostrophe.....grammar Nazi at work.

Edited by AndreaL
  • Like 1

I lived in Perth between 2005 and 2007 and despite some scorching hot summer days in December/January, found the climate to be much milder than Queensland. I don't think we have had a temp under 33 in the last two months and more often than not closer to and above 40. This year is probably the hottest in around 5 or 6 years and we have only had probably one days rain in the past 4 months (here in Moranbah anyway). As a whinging Pom, I never thought the words would escape my lips but.....I would love some rain, I even think I would go out and play in it if it rained.

Wow...shows how specific you need to be when discussing weather in a big country....no wonder you said "in Moranbah anyway". That weather is totally different to Brisbane despite also being in Queensland. We haven't had a 39c day for 10 years now I think and our temps have been way below those you quoted with way more rain. I guess Moranbah being inland makes a big difference as well. Do you get flies like Perth as your weather sounds like a similar type? I've noticed before when I have gone to parts of more temperate inland country queensland the flies pick up.

Edited by Fish

I'd wear my shorts and a t-shirt @ 15 degrees.

Ideal for a 20k run. Or just being active outside.

Jacques, you missed the city you would probably enjoy the most from a climate perspective, ie Melbourne.

Wow...shows how specific you need to be when discussing weather in a big country....no wonder you said "in Moranbah anyway". That weather is totally different to Brisbane despite also being in Queensland. We haven't had a 39c day for 10 years now I think and our temps have been way below those you quoted with way more rain. I guess Moranbah being inland makes a big difference as well. Do you get flies like Perth as your weather sounds like a similar type? I've noticed before when I have gone to parts of more temperate inland country queensland the flies pick up.

Exactly, if you think of the size of Queensland there is a vast difference in weather throughout. Moranbah is about 1000km from Brisbane ( to give those in RSA some idea of how huge QLD is). From what I've been learning, the climate, particularly that of the Bowen Basin is quite different to the eastern side, or those places on the eastern side of the Great Dividing Range, something to do with rising air currents coming off the ocean and the GDR stops them from getting to the western side, meaning more precipitation and lush green vegetation on the eastern side and arid dry conditions on the west.

From a more local point of view, Mackay is 200km east and can be as much as 5 or more degrees cooler than Moranbah and gets regular rain and even flooding. Our wet season was late last year and ran later, it hasn't started this year but I think will soon, the frogs are becoming more active and vocal ( according to long time residents) and BOM had been predicting an El Niño and associated drought but apparently it has turned around and we should get average rain.

I had to do a Uni assignment on the climate, landforms, soils and biogeography of the Bowen Basin, which was a great way to learn more about the region I live in.

Flies.....they are actually eating me alive as I write and we have to have an automatic spray on in order to sit outside, yet Mackay doesn't have that many. When council spray our landfill regularly the problem lessens.

Edited by AndreaL

Exactly, if you think of the size of Queensland there is a vast difference in weather throughout. Moranbah is about 1000km from Brisbane ( to give those in RSA some idea of how huge QLD is). From what I've been learning, the climate, particularly that of the Bowen Basin is quite different to the eastern side, or those places on the eastern side of the Great Dividing Range, something to do with rising air currents coming off the ocean and the GDR stops them from getting to the western side, meaning more precipitation and lush green vegetation on the eastern side and arid dry conditions on the west.

From a more local point of view, Mackay is 200km east and can be as much as 5 or more degrees cooler than Moranbah and gets regular rain and even flooding. Our wet season was late last year and ran later, it hasn't started this year but I think will soon, the frogs are becoming more active and vocal ( according to long time residents) and BOM had been predicting an El Niño and associated drought but apparently it has turned around and we should get average rain.

I had to do a Uni assignment on the climate, landforms, soils and biogeography of the Bowen Basin, which was a great way to learn more about the region I live in.

Flies.....they are actually eating me alive as I write and we have to have an automatic spray on in order to sit outside, yet Mackay doesn't have that many. When council spray our landfill regularly the problem lessens.

And then you look at Cairns and far north queensland and it is totally different again. People from Cairns complain of being freezing when they come to Brisbane :) If Queensland can fit three or four significantly different weather systems into one state I wonder how many Australia has.

I don't always think that those about to emigrate appreciate the size of Australia and how there will be a climate to suit everyone, somewhere. Tasmania, Thredbo, Darwin, Coober Pedy, Carnarvon, Albany ( only 400km from Perth, but vastly different climate), Brisbane, Canberra............l..

• Like 1

Yes, there will be a climate to suit everyone.

But keep in mind it is a live, work, play relationship.

If your living space and office job is climate controlled, and you are happy to play indoors (xbox, pc, Nintendo) the it does not matter if if is snowing or searing outside. But if you want to play and perhaps work outside from time to time, you need something stable and predictable in the middle of the extremes coupled with work opportunities. That then makes the living part similar or at least easier to adjust if needed.

We landed in RSA a few hours ago.

Going to now the lawn after we unpacked.

Expecting 29 degrees to feel like a comfortable 33 while Brissie has 27 that feels like 27 today.

How's it feel to be back?

Every time I've been in SA since the big move I've been thinking "I want to go HOOOMMMEEEEE!"

I don't always think that those about to emigrate appreciate the size of Australia and how there will be a climate to suit everyone, somewhere. Tasmania, Thredbo, Darwin, Coober Pedy, Carnarvon, Albany ( only 400km from Perth, but vastly different climate), Brisbane, Canberra............l..

I never really thought about the size of australia but when we started the process I started studying maps intensively, I love cartography...and that put things into perspective for me...and every time I tell someone they are surprised that Oz is so big

very roughly South Africa would fit into the northeastern quadrant of the Australian continent...more or less the size of Queensland alone (and then even not as big). And the whole of Australia is about as big as North America...just roughly, but you get the idea...its vast! I think from west to east is more than 4000km, where its just over 1200 km from Pretoria to Cape Town which isnt even cross country

Edited by Toitjie

The whole of Australia have heat waves all the time. Yes it's hot, and yes it can be seriously uncomfortable, but if you can't stand the heat, then maybe Australia is not for you... It's like the flies... And the shopping trolleys... :ilikeit:

We were hoping to win the 30 mil lotto and then take a plane back to Brissie instead. But for now the gates are locked, the electric fence is checked, the alarm system is ready, the car is locked in the garage, the community police forum radio is on and the wood fire is being prepped for tonight.

The flight was a bit early. But passport control with only 1 officer and 39 additional empty desks made up for any time gained.

Luckily there were no customs officers in sight so no checks other than the passports. I suppose it was either too early for them, or they just do not work today.

The flight was a bit early. But passport control with only 1 officer and 39 additional empty desks made up for any time gained.

Lucky that, so you're back on schedule - hate it when a schedule goes out of whack .....

Jacques - here's the place for you http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9758704/Boiling-water-freezes-instantly-in-Siberias-41C.html PR is difficult though and the language is even more difficult than 'Strine.

Jacques, would you believe the maximum temp in Perth today is a balmy 27 according to the weather forecast on the news.....I think the sun was shining especially brightly for you on your trip. Happy New Year.

Jacques, would you believe the maximum temp in Perth today is a balmy 27 according to the weather forecast on the news.....I think the sun was shining especially brightly for you on your trip. Happy New Year.

And it was 31 in Canberra ....... AAAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!

OK, it was 29 in my unit / flat / townhouse - quite comfy ..... :P

Hmmm, accuweather says 41. I checked online on nine news.

PERTH has hit 41C - the hottest day of the weeklong heatwave - but relief is in sight with 34C tipped for New Year's Day and a cool 27C on Wednesday.

Yup, yesterday was really bad - no breeze at all. I think it actually hit 42 at its worst!

Today, its supposed to reach 33, but it is no where near as hot as that yet.

Tomorrow its 27.

Thursday 25.

I think the heat was especially just for your visit!! Hee hee..

Perth is definitely not always that hot - that was a heatwave - something the east coast regularly experiences over summer too! However, although this is not how the whole summer is here, Perth is undoubtedly hotter than Cape Town (where we are from).

If you are not partial to the heat (many people aren't), maybe consider Melbourne?

Hmmm, accuweather says 41. I checked online on nine news.

PERTH has hit 41C - the hottest day of the weeklong heatwave - but relief is in sight with 34C tipped for New Year's Day and a cool 27C on Wednesday.

How did you enjoy your LSD trip. Today is much better , not to hot YET

• 2 weeks later...

Lived in Perth since Oct 2008, coming from Durban, this is paradise. I find the winters a bit cold for me, but hey its the price I pay for freedom.

Would like to visit the other states, but Perth will always be home. Took us 10 years to get here and here is where we will stay... loved it in 1998 and love it now.

Since arriving in Darwin the temperature has always been between 25C and 36C. The humidity always hovers above 60%. The last couple of days it's been above 90% a couple of times, normally after it rained.

My wife went to Perth for work, and it's a massive difference. It was 20C when she landed and she thought it was freezing!

Just goes to show how quickly people adapt.

• Like 1

Warning - Melbourne scheduled to be 39 degrees tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in the LSD trip see link in my signature below.

We recently had 47 degrees in Sydney (actual measured temp) - it can get hot as hell anywhere in Australia. Then there's the floods, cyclones, bush fires.... Not a country for sissies I reckon...

• Like 2