Any Saffers down south with older daughters?

miraclebabycaw

We have been in Adelaide for just over 2w now and met a couple of great saffers, and are slowly finding our way around. We are currently in Port Noarlunga and have a rental that we will move into in Seaford Rise early Jan. My 12 year old (nearly 13) daughter is so bored she is having a hard time of it right now. I am working from around 2:30 in the day for my company back in south africa till the end feb so don't have a lot of time to devout to her either. Anyone have daughters that are around a similar age in the area that we could maybe meet up with?

Hey Shona

I'm in Melbourne but I have a daughter the same age. I would suggest joining the library. They have lots of info on local goings on for kids. My kids go to the library every second or third day. There usually are many kids reading in the library so maybe your daughter could make friends there.

• Like 1

Sorry, my kids are much younger, so I cannot help you, but also the swimming pool would be a great place to go. or just riding a bicycle. I know at that age they do not want to be alone. I am close to Marion shopping centre so not so far from you, if I can help you with anything let me know.

• Like 1

My daughter is 11 (going on 21) but we are in Melbourne, but maybe they can chat or something which might help as it sometimes help them just to talk with someone their own age about what they're going through? Does she have access to an itouch / ipad / android because mine has and chats on Kik with her friends. Send me a private message if you'd like then we can connect them!!

• Like 1

Also wanted to mention the first six weeks before we moved into our permanent rental and my girls could start school was the worst!! They were so bored, it was winter, one had chicken pox, the house was cold... need I go on!!

Since then we've had lots of ups and down, my eleven year old had to deal with many issues - a little bullying at school, starting the next year again with none of the new friends from her previous year (but also left the bully behind) and had a lot to learn that was different from both England and South Africa.

But we are getting there slowly and she is thriving - loving her ballet and is going for house captain in the New Year - something she couldn't imagine after a few months.

So remind her it will be tough but she'll get there in the end and it will get much better!!

• Like 1

Hi, if she is sporty try and get her into a basketball or netball team - in Melbourne basketball season started in October and carries on until March, but Adelaide may be different. My 11 year old boy (yes I know not quite the same) made some of his links on the sports field, and my daughter keeps busy with swimming and ballet. Unfortunately, you have landed at a time when it is very hard to connect with others as everything closes down for summer. If you know which school she will be going to you can also try and get her into the holiday program in January - but she may be a bit old for that. She really needs to get to school to start connecting with other kids on a regular basis - so you have to weather the storm for now.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

RAD - yip she has already joined the library and gone through 9 books. Will try taking her in a bit more often. In fact that is where we are going tomorrow. Try leave her there for 1/2 hour or so to see how she copes. Must mention to her about volunteering there as well. They might allow it. She was head librarian at her school back in Joburg before we left.

Sibella - Hubby has an Ipod touch? Would that do? I know NOTHING about the apple products..I know he has iface but dunno what kik is..do I just download it...I'll PM you

Sunny - nope she's a bookworm..definitely not sporty at all.

andrea, thx have been past the local swimming pool but generally all younger kids, and we don't have bikes yet...

Yes you just go to the app store and download Kik - it's free! Then pm me your daughters name on kik and I'll get my daughter to connect with her.

I'm sure they'll enjoy chatting to each other!