Scared,Confused but hopefull

Urshela

Hi everyone, were a family of four who has just received our invitation to apply for a visa (regional-victoria). so now the reality of our choice is starting to hit home........HARD.... we have started of selling some of our beloved "toys" and extra furniture and with every item leaving our house tears fall and fears mounts..... is this normal...... or a sign that we should stay?

My husband a Mechanical Engineer (with excellent track record and experience) has not landed a job, and it seems his just going to take the step and hope for a job when we get to Victoria(he is the forever optimist and Im the Panic mechanic), now reading everyones blogs on landing a job has really scared me stiff, it seems near impossible!!! my question is, why post a list of "skills shortages" if there is no job? and how can you obtain "australian work experience" if they dont give you an oppotunity???

Please people help me here?? Im very aware that staying in SA is not an option,(even my very optimistic husband is no longer optimistic oubout this country) but living in a new country with no job and no income cant be better? We have no family in aus (I dont have any family to start of with) and no support system when we get to Aus.

I'm going to need a lot of "coaching" from some good samaritins on this site...... any volunteers?

• Like 1

Firstly Urshela, panicking is not going to help anyone. It will just make matters worse. Easy to say I know, as this process is very daunting and not to be taken lightly.

HOWEVER, it seems you have both made THE decision so try to focus on that. You simply cannot go into this thing with so much fear. As a complete generalisation, I would say at least 90% ( if not more) of people have not regretted their decision, even with the hurdles that come with it.

You really need to leave RSA to realise just how messed up it is. So even though things may be unfamiliar, many, many things will make you smile. If you've decided to leave, you have to keep positive that things will work out.

Or just continue to hide your head in the sand and suffer anyway.

Don't mean to sound harsh, just wanting you to realise that you just need to focus on why you want to leave and roll with the changes. The more you worry, the more difficult it will be.

Good luck on your exciting journey ahead.

• Like 2

Urshela,

It's not uncommon.

The Aussie work experience thing is unavoidable. You have to make your track record here.

So if hubby was a Super Senior design team leader in ZA, he probably won't get that here, at least not right off. He might have to apply for Junior, Unsuper team member, and work up AGAIN.

It can take a while, but it's part of the price you pay for securing your kids a future.

It's not always easy. You may experience highs and lows like you never realised existed, but if you persevere, you will overcome.

I personally, cannot see myself going back to the 3rd world, except on relatively short visits.

And, EVERYBODY here is a good samaritan. This is one of the most helpful sites I've ever seen.

Thanx you guys, I guess being brain washed in SA, to believe were no good, no future,no opportunities ect, makes me believe this is what I will get once in Aus, starting over is not my main concern, having the oppotunity to start over is more my worry, will we be given an opportunity to show were "able" when I read the section on the blogs about getting work in Aus and I see posts like elec engineers ending up as pizza dilivery people........ its scares me, is it not one of the "skills shortages" elec engineers? and why would someone like that not at least be able to just get a job even just as electrician? I really dont mind starting right at the bottom but it should just be at the bottom of the career you started off in SA?, so if you studied to be an elctrician, then cant you just get a job in line with your qualification?, even as "rookie"? And not as Plumber, hope Im getting my message across?

On the other hand I cant wait to allow my kids to play in a public park, walk on a beach, visit friends, riding their bikes without being paranoid about some muti killer out to get kids with bleu eyes, or needles, used condoms and other obscure object left in the kids park (if you find a park) or going to a restaurant and not having to listen to the "lady" at the next table snorting like......... ugh really there are many thing Im looking forward to, I just need to shake this "what if thing dont work out feeling"

Hey Urshela

Firstly welcome to the forum, you have stumbled across what is possibly the best thing that could have happened to us. There are many people here on the forum that have supported and encouraged us as well as given us a stern talking to when needed.

Yes this is perfectly normal and you would not be human if you weren't feeling the things you are right now. We are in exactly the same boat as you with no family to go to/start off with in Australia, someone correct me if I'm wrong about this but the South African "refugees" in Australia (of course there will be the exception or 2) will go out of their way to make you feel welcome and like part of the family.

We are planning on leaving at the beginning of April and our goal is to leave with work lined up for my wife before we leave but we also realise that this may not be possible and will have to deal with whatever we get when we land. There is a lot of uncertainty in this process but the one thing you can be certain of is that if you've got the means to get out of the sinking ship then do it because your future here will be far more uncertain than anything you will have to deal with once landing in Australia.

Good luck with the decision and console yourself in the fact that you are giving your children the best possible future you can, even though it may seem like you are making huge sacrifices now you will all be grateful in the long run.

We can't offer much in the way of physical support (if you know what I mean) but you are welcome to ask us (my wife is OnYellowBrickRd) anything you want.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju
  • Like 1

What you should avoid is detail planning, mainly because one has very little if any control over critical things. Plan by all means, but be prepared to make allowances, change direction,delay things, but keep the objective in site.

• Like 2

From what I would imagine, I think the experience of migrating is much like leaving a job to move to a new one. When you first start out on the process (resigning from the old job) you're focused on the future and where you're going. But as you head towards the end of your first job and move closer to the start of your new job, you're filled with thoughts about what you've left behind. This is the human condition I think.

Try and keep focused on the process of going somewhere instead of leaving somewhere. That way you're moving forward, with courage and without regret. There are no guarantees in life and if you do get to Aus, it was meant to be and part of the bigger plan for your life - and if it doesn't work out as you expected, it's a stepping stone towards new experiences and opportunities. Whatever you decide to do, remember that we are always exactly where we're meant to be, learning lessons and enjoying every new day that life brings us.

• Like 2

Hey Urshel

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the invitation.

As the others have already said, this is an emotional path to a great new start. You will find lots of info and support on this site. You will also see from others that have landed, how supportive your new neighbours, and saffers you have met on line, can be once you arrive.

It is my (still unproven) theory that if you have a visa and an arrival date, employers will be more willing to hire you. If they still have to sponsor you the visa and dont know how long they will need to wait for you, Im sure they are less likely to hire some one (such as your hubby). So be patient about the job thing for now.

I also think that starting at a lower rung over there, as frustrating as it is, is better than a similar job here, just because wages are better and you could live on them easier thank you would if in SA. It is also likely to tide you over while searching for the job you want!

Good luck on your chosen path, Im sure it will be the right decision for you and your family.

I think I like this forum, now please give advise,oncein Aus were do you suggest we start looking for employment? With Agents,Local media, Directly at companies? and what advise would you have on the interview process? Our CV's have been changed to an AUS format as advised by friends, but what other advise could you give to maybe get greater success at getting employment?

Hi Urshela

We are the exact example of what your concerns have raised.

Hubby is an electrical engineer. We were well established in SA, living the live of many forumites ie own house, cars, private schools, holidays abroad. We arrived here in Melbourne 4 months ago and guess what hubby has still not gotten a job yet( don't panic...read on).

Yes it is a scary situation and very stressful but you know what if I had over thought this process I would probably never made the move and really missed out on this great city of Melbourne.

Yes I have asked why are they not employing if there is a shortage ???? And no hubby is not qualified to be an electrician, the very same way your hubby is not qualified to be a mechanic. However PR means they are not restricted to only work as engineers.

Anyhooo we reassessed our situation, prioritised our needs and adjusted our lifestyle.

We rent a place in a beautiful suburb where the kids school is on the same street. We have public transport on our doorstep. We have chosen not to buy a car so that we could stretch our cash further.

ADJUSTMENTS:

I am now employed after 12 years of being a stay at home mum. I started a week ago and am in my profession so the salary is great for us until hubby gets up and going.

No car up to this point, in order to stretch our rands further. Public transport here is excellent and not to be frowned upon. If for whatever reason we need a car we hire one.

We did not bring over a container just a Move Cube and although I miss my things and the fact that I had an excess of things in SA and now have to spend wisely has allowed us to keep our rands going further.

We walk about the neighbour and have gotten to know the local people and area pretty well.

I have not had any manicures/ pedicure/ facials and the like for the time we are here but I had to ask myself mmmmm would I rather have food for the family or my nails done...sounds silly I know but it was an adjustment.

We had all the conveniences of a " luxury" life back in SA and here we have had to make adjustments but you know what my kids have never gone hungry and even now at Christmas we have all the trimmings.

I loved my life in SA but guess what we DO NOT REGRET coming to Melbourne. She is a fantastic city and quite classy I might add. I know we will get back our conveniences but I also know that maybe it was a good thing that I came thinking hubby will soon( as in 4 months ago) get a job because as I said if we did over think it we probably would have missed a great opportunity.

We looked at it as an adventure very similar to when we moved from Durban to Joburg. We left our home and the familiar to go make our fortunes in the "city of gold" yes it was tough but we made it and now we are on another adventure. I know this may sound a bit airy fairy but it is actually our reality and by George we shall make it work. Along the way we will get things wrong ( hell even the Mayans got things wrong....as we now know) lol, but regret our decision especially when we were fortunate enough to get a PR, I think NOT.

A tip:

If you decide to come over bring over every bit of cash that you can and prioritise its use so that it can tide you over if God forbid you end up waiting for a job.

Be positive and who knows your hubby will get a fantastic job immediately and you would have worried for nothing. But if he does not a few adjustments could get you by and catapult you into a path to achieving your intended life here.

The other day I was explaining our situation to a collegue who came over from England and her comment was "at least you have the cash to have gotten this far without an income" I promptly shut my mouth and counted my blessings. For this I thank the Divine every day. My greatest blessing however is that as a family unit we have found our strength to stand together.

Good luck in your decision my dear, this is a great forum for advise.

• Like 5

THANKS RAD I could not have asked for a better reply than this, word for word it felt like YOU GOT ME! And in discussion with my hubby I also told him if it is at all possible for me to get employment, I will take it (anything) cause just like you I have been a stay at home mommy for 8 years now, so my skills might not be at the top of the "skills shortage" list, but Im not lazy and not a snob, so I would jump at any opportunity (any ideas?) your advise closer to our move regarding were to stay how to get a place to live ect would be greatly appreciated?? Your "journey" sound like the one we are about to take, and it is good to hear one can adapt and cope with all the challenges "cause we can!"

Best Regards

• Like 2

Happy to answer any questions. PM if you want to. I found that by me going to work it will help us recover financially from the big move. Brush up on your computer skills and perhaps line up some references eg volunteer work. Hubby will have no problems getting references but since you have not been working in the last few years may perhaps be a stumbling block but generally ( i found) agents and employers here are looking at your work ethic and how you interact within a work environment( u would not necessarily have gotten paid for your skill and input in the last 8 years.) volunteering would give you some good references. Remember do not sell yourself short because I am sure you are capable and as a mum definitely hard working. Even if you volunteer at your kids school or your church line up people who you would be able to use as references if needs be.

Mrs Dik was not happy here for first few months - working mom sitting at home, no friends, no Josephina to do the work and fetch the kids.

Then she volunteered to work in the school tuckshop, which got her among people and she was happy as could be.

As RAD says, volunteer and then turn that into a real job.

Think outside the box - a friend of a friend got a job stacking supermarket shelves at night - dragging cartons round and in general doing manual labour. She enjoyed it - OK, she isn't getting the second Ferrarri anytime soon, but ....

Oh, yes, join a club ... use the contacts you make to help you get inside info on jobs, and to get people to recommend you. You will owe the people one afterwards, so don't drop them then. Some SAffas actually do that. :(

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 2

What you should avoid is detail planning, mainly because one has very little if any control over critical things. Plan by all means, but be prepared to make allowances, change direction,delay things, but keep the objective in site.

Hey RichtB, the one thing this process has taught me is plan as far as you can an be willing to change those plans on the fly, don't get attached to anything and be flexible. Not something I am good at doing. :whome:

... You will owe the people one afterwards, so don't drop them then. Some SAffas actually do that. :(

This is one thing that really grates me about Saffas, I believe strongly in the "do unto others..." and "paying it forward" rules and it really angers me when they do this and ruin for the rest of us. :boxing:

• Like 2