1 week in

Guest Eager2go

Guest Eager2go

Hello

We arrived in Australia on 8 December 2012, just over 1 week ago. Everything from Leaving OR Thambo, to clearing passport control and customs, catching our connecting flight to Brisbane, and being met at the airport by family, went very well.

This first week was very busy. We registered with Medicare, CentreLink and all of us have joined the Library. Our family have taken us round to look for places to rent, we have been looking online for cars, and I have been practicing online to get my learners licence (again). Finally, I have been job-hunting, but I guess that looking for a job in the middle of December is not the easiest thing in the world.

Besides that, our girls have played in parks, we've gone for walks and tomorrow we're driving down to Byron Bay where my sister is on holiday.

I took my 6-year old daughter for a walk this morning and asked her how she is doing. She said that she is really enjoying it here, and the highlight of the first week for her was a trip on the City Cat to Southbank.

Even though there is some uncertainty about work, we are very happy to be here.

Eager2go (I guess my profile name should now read: eagerhasarrived)

Congrats on the arrival, glad all went well! All the best with the job hunting!

Glad to see you haven't suffered unduely with JetLag. Hit me hard and I was man down for the first week. I couldn't keep my eyes open and my hubby couldn't sleep so we were a right pair. Finally sorted out medicare, centrelink,bought cars. registered them today, did written license, and we have a rental. Not too sure it's really in the right area but will do for the next year. Schools are a big bone of contention between hubby and me and I am battling with a school I am happy with. The little one is ok, he's going to go into reception so it's ok for the year for him, but my daughter is between year 7 and 8 ... some have said 7, others 8 so it's a mission right now. Guess it will all fall into place....now just jobs as you say LOL, but being in teaching you shouldn't have too much of an issue..

Hey guys, sounds like you're all having fun and things are going well. Just keep job hunting, you will find one and it will be the one you want. You have to a certain extent taught me that things will work out, they have so far why should the future be any different. Must say though, to a certain extent I am a tad jealous though. Have fun over the holidays and enjoy the trip to Byron Bay.

Congrats and good luck... keep strong and keep the faith :)

Keep it up, people, the good part is starting .....

Welcome to Brisbane. Shout if you need anything if you find a rental and your container hasn't arrived. I have a dish washing rack for you which I was meant to give Bronwyn a few months back.

Edited by Sharon
  • Like 1

Eager2go (I guess my profile name should now read: eagerhasarrived)

I would change it to "TheEagerHasLanded" ;)

• Like 1

I can't believe that it has already been 12 days since you arrived, I was being "tongue in cheeky" when I said we aren't far behind you and now look what I've gotten us into, ;) three months and we will be down under hopefully. Seems like no time at all to make so many decisions and preparations before leaving. Looking forward to seeing you guys again.