Arriving in Canberra in January 2013

Ame

Hi all, I have been reading the topics on Canberra with great interest. We will be arriving in Canberra on the 15th of January 2013 on a Visa subclass 190 PR Visa. My husband received a job offer 1 month ago, yay, now we don't have to rush looking for work as well as straightening out home, school etc.

My son who will be 6 in January will now have to start year 1 next year. Which christian private schools as well as living areas would you recommend in greater Gunghalin and Tuggeranong. Really like Brindabella Christian school but was told that the suburb it is in is quite near the city centre?

When we arrive, I suppose there is a whole list of things we have to register for, Tax, medicare etc, any place where I can go to make a checklist so that we dont miss anything, please?

Thanks guys.

Hi Ame, I also arrive in Canberra on the 16 January 2013, I am from Durban.

I joined a Facebook forum called Afrikaans in Canberra as well as Triple C ( Canberra Coffee Club )

You will meet a lot of people on these forums and get a lot of information as what to do, I was in Canberra

In October this year so I registered for Medicare so easy, my cards were sent to a friends house which i will collect when i arrive.

we also enrolled the kids to start school in Feb, we also liked the suburbs in the north of Canberra ( Bonner /Amaroo / Forde /Harrison ) I also met another family in Durban they will also be arriving on the 26 Jan we should meet for coffee and get our check list done together.

Congrats on the job offer - it makes life heaps easier for you.

Brindebella school is in Lyneham (if its the same place Im thinking of) It has a good reputation and regarded as one of the better schools in the ACT.

Lyneham is northside of the lake, so if you have your heart set on this school my suggestion is to look to live in either Belconnen or Gungahlin. Tuggs - by Canberra standards - would be a bit of a drive in peak hour traffic. Not impossible, but a drag. I am a southsider and my accountant is in Lyneham - it takes me about 15mins from Kambah to Lyneham (not peak hour)

Registering for medicare is easy, their offices are in the larger malls. And register for tax (TFN) It really all sounds more daunting then it actually is.

As Shaz says there is a group called the CCC - which is open to anyone arriving / living in Canberra. I know some wonderful saffers who attend regularly.

You will also be pleased to know that you will still be able to do dressage and show jumping.

Good luck with your plans, Im sure you will all love Canberra as much as we do, it may take some getting use to in the early days, but once you are settled in and have some good mates, life here is really laid back and easy.

• Like 1

Hi Lyn, Shazpaz

Thank you so much for the information, will most definitely go to have a look at the suburbs you mentioned Lyn. Glad I can keep riding in Canberra, Im lost without my neighing, snorting confidant and friend:-). Any stable yard suggestions? Sounds incredible in Canberra, cant wait to start making some friends:-)

Have a look at www.neqc.com.au (near Weston Creek) and www.gooromonpark.com.au (in Hall) I am not a rider - thrown too many times - but these two places might point you in the right direction. These are not the only two, there are more around Canberra and NSW.

Somedays I see the horses being riden along the bicycle paths. Very close to busy roads and in built up suburbs near Weston.

Great, thank you so much Lyn. The websites will be a great help. Its a pity you had so many bad experiences with horses, they are incredible animals. Thanks again for the information. Maybe I can meet up with you over coffee/tea sometime when we settled in?

Ive spent alot of time around horses as my SIL runs a small riding school in Port Shepstone - I agree that they are incredible and beautiful too - but Im very wary of them.

I see you arrive in about 3 weeks - thats just around the corner. I work flexitime, so can meet up with you for a cuppa anytime. If you need help / advice please let me know.

Hi Guys,

We are also moving to Canberra, arriving on the 4th of Jan. I am very excited, my poor wife however is very family orientated and is pretty sad and down.

I think the CCC is a great idea and a glass of wine and a cry can do wonders. I will get her to register and get in comms with you guys.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

The next Canberra Coffee Club is on the 20th January at Lennox Gardens (which is in Yarralumla) at 11am. It is a wonderful group of supportive people and it will be fab to meet some new faces. It is scary walking up to strangers on the first meet but you won't look back.

Good luck to those that r packing up and making the journey across. We have been here 2 1/2 months and we r absolutely loving it.

Merry Christmas to you all and see u in the new year.

Keglin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

4days and counting, not enough time to sort out what I need to do in SA

It's good to hear that we'll have so many new arrivals in Canberra. We have been here for almost a year and love it! We have made many South African and Australian friends and feel like we've been here forever.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I' m Odette Richards, moved here with hubby two weeks ago (K Richards) all going well and enjoying this beautiful place. Just really missing the family back home, but eager to make new friends and start building our new lives here.

Looking forward to meeting everybody at the coffee club this Sunday.

See you then.

Odette

Hi Odette.

It is a park. Bring along a picnic as well as picnic blankets, chairs etc.

Every meet up is at a different venue, that way u get to learn about all the great places to visit.

See you there.

P.s. we will be a little late as we r going to church but look forward to meeting u later.

Keglington

(Aka Karen)