Which Visa

Marlene

Hi All,

An opportunity is lurking to move to Australia, but we are quite dumb folded as to what all the different visas mean.

My husband currently carries a business visa valid for 5 years and is on the short list to go and work in Griffith. (Warehouse Operations Manager)

We are all NZ residents, except for the newest member, which is a kiwi.

Where do we start and what route do we take to get in Aus the quickest way?

Keep well

Marlene

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Marlene - Do you mean you already have a business Visa for Aus (160? 163?) but you actually don't want to start a business, you want to get jobs?

Or is the business visa you have for NZ?

Sorry, just a bit confused. If we understand your position a bit better maybe someone can help.

Regards, Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn, thank you for replying.

I'll have to check in the passport which visa he has got, but is a business visa valid for 5 years.

Yes, we want to get jobs. He is on the short list for a position at a Winery. I have had 2 telephone interviews as well.

We are currently NZ residents. The baby has a NZ passport.

I'm looking for something/somewhere where we could just check all the different visa options and what their requirements are.

We will need to go over to Aus soon for the final interview, so we will need visitors visas, but them from there onwards, which will be the quickest way of being able to work in Aus?

I have read about schooling being more expensive for non residents, but what about NZ passport holders?

Keep well

Marlene

Hi Marlene,

I'd be happy to do a free initial assessment for you, to determine your eligibility for an Australian visa. My email address is fionacarre[at]optusnet[dot]com[dot]au.

You should also have a look at www.immi.gov.au which is the official DIAC website- will give you an idea of where to start in the visa process.

Regards,

Fiona

Registered Migration Agent

Gold Coast, Australia

Marlene,

I noticed that you landed in Auckland in 2003 . . . four years ago.

After two years, under current legislation I believe, you can apply for New Zealand citizenship which will allow you to work and live in Australia without any visa necessary, permanently.

It might be quickest to see the N.Z. people about becoming a Kiwi and then get N.Z. Passports. Once you've got those, you can jump on the next plane to Australia and set up shop where and when you like, just like an Aussie from another State in Australia.

Also, New Zealand trade and professional qualifications are recognised throughout Australia.

You can just go to your appropriate trade or professional board for instant Australian certificates or qualifications to be issued, as well as an instant Australian driving licence on production of your N.Z. licence.

It's all too easy . . . . once you become a New Zealander.

Thank you Fiona, I will be in contact.

Bob, thank you for your response as well. You need to be a resident for 5 years before you can become a citizen. What is really sad about this whole thing...we were head-hunted in 2003 and came over on talent work visas which meant you work for 2 years, get residency and then a year later you can apply for citizenship, well in 2004 the laws changed and the talent work visa was scratched and even though we were in the country already it is not aknowledged.

We do not have NZ trades or qualifications. I'm a Packaging Technologist and my husband is a Warehouse Operations Manager.

After two years, under current legislation I believe, you can apply for New Zealand citizenship which will allow you to work and live in Australia without any visa necessary, permanently.
The normal duration to obtain Kiwi citizenship is 3 years. There has been discussions in NZ to change this to 5 years. I'm not sure if this law has been passed yet.
...., as well as an instant Australian driving licence on production of your N.Z. licence.

It's all too easy . . . . once you become a New Zealander.

As Kiwis with valid NZ drivers licences, we had to do the theory test before being issued with a licence in NSW. This might differ from state to state. I recall Mara saying that they had to produce their NZ licences and got Aus licences in Queensland without having to do the theory test first. Mara, correct me if I'm wrong here.

SAS

Edited by SASydneysider

Marlene consider the Employer Sponsorship route.

Find an employer in a Regional area willing to sposor you or your husband. The employer must first prove that he is unable to find an Australian with the specific skills to fill the position in question. Then the Employer can nominate and sponsor you for a 457 work Visa.

- 457 Work Visa will get you here. Work for the employer for two years because you don't have qualifications (if I understand you correctly) and this may exempt you from this requirement.

- Agree with the Employer that he will also sponsor you for the 857 Regional Sponsored Migration Visa after two years. This visa gives you permanent residence and applies to regional areas and includes a city like Adelaide.

Definitely have a look at the DIAC Site for the applicable visa options or get expert advice from a reputable Australian Migration Agent if you are unsure about all this.

Edited by Rison

Marlene,

the next thing is to determine if you really want to go thro' the anxiety of getting a sponsor and paying hard earnt money (thousands) to obtain an Australian visa, in the first place?

Landing in 2003 in New Zealand means that you can apply for New Zealand citizenship some time in the next twelve to eighteen months, next year.

Once you get that . . . and a passport from New Zealand in your hands . . . you can come and go to and from New Zealand AND Australia at will.

You can visit rellies in South Africa, staying as long as you like, coming back to any part of Australia or New Zealand to live and work as you wish . . . no problems.

If you go the Australian visa route, it MIGHT get you here a few months earlier, but you'll have to wait four whole years before you can get a passport (Australian, in this case) which you gives you complete freedom to come and go from this part of the world as you please.

. . . . long wait !

Are you THAT desperate to escape the "Shaky Isles" ?

( . . . just a thought)

Edited by Bob

Marlene

Australia Permanent Visa Options - If you are a New Zealand Citizen:

Skilled Onshore Independent New Zealand Citizen visa (subclass 861)

Skilled Onshore Australian Sponsored New Zealand Citizen visa (subclass 862)

Skilled Onshore Designated Area New Zealand Citizen visa (subclass 863)

If you are the dependant of a New Zealand Citizen

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) (subclass 461)

See the DIAC Site for details.

Marlene,

the next thing is to determine if you really want to go thro' the anxiety of getting a sponsor and paying hard earnt money (thousands) to obtain an Australian visa, in the first place?

Landing in 2003 in New Zealand means that you can apply for New Zealand citizenship some time in the next twelve to eighteen months, next year.

For NZ Citizenship, please note the following:

1. If a person received NZ Permanent Residence before April 21, 2005- they need to have been 'ordinarily resident' in NZ for the last 3 years to apply for citizenship.

2. If a person was granted NZ PR AFTER April 21, 2005- they need to have had NZ Permanent Residence for the last 5 years in order to apply for citizenship.

In this case it really depends on whether Marlene and family received their NZ PR before or after April 21, 2005.

Regards,

Fiona Carre

Registered Migration Agent

Gold Coast, Australia

Fiona, you are right, we received residency Sept 05. But Bob, I have really found your e-mail inspiring! Shaky Isles indeed....ha-ha!

If we had intended to use NZ as a stepping stone, we would have applied for residency before the due date, but as we were invited to come to NZ, we let things go their natural way.

After nearly 4 years here, we just realised, this is not the country we want to get old in. And as a Higher Hand has abviously got something to do with it, an opportunity again arised. NZ system, although daunting, just all of a sudden look so easy compared to all the options in Aus.

Thank you all for the inputs.