Having elderly parents visit

Heymanse

My husband is planning to visit his parents next year. As a family, we would all like to see them again. Due to their old age, we're not certain if this might be the last time. Taking over 4 adults is quite an expensive exercise as you might well know. I would LOVE them to visit us here rather than us going there due to various reasons:

1. They've never seen our new home

2. Expensive having 4 people go to SA / inexpensive having 2 people from SA visit Aus (approx $2,200 per person [if I book from Sydney to Jhb] vs $1,600 per person [if I book Jhb to Syd])

3. Safety concerns

The main obstacles we will be facing is that my mum-in-law is afraid of flying (she has flown before - though ages ago and it was a domestic short flight) and they are both in their 80's. My father-in-law has had several heart bypasses and a knee replacement done a couple of years ago but has otherwise been fit and healthy.

Has anyone had elderely parents come and visit them here, especially those over 80. How did they handle the flight? What would you say were the positives and negatives of having them visit - taking into consideration health, age etc.

The positives are that with the modern aircraft, they may find flying a lot easier now.

The negatives are that you will have to get medical travel insurance for them and they will have to undergo a medical in order to get a visitors visa due to their age.

It may be an idea when you have passed the above obstacles, to ask on the forum if there is someone coming on the same flight, who may keep an eye on them and assist them. If this is not possible, you can ask Qantas (direct Jhb to Sydney) to assist them, which they will do.

• Like 1

my elderly grandparents (aged 88years each) came out from Oz to Durbs earlier this year for my wedding.

My father flew over to attend my cousins wedding, then accompanied the old folks here. They did a 2 day stop-over in Dubai which they said was a life saver to manage the trip. My aunt from Oz came for my wedding and accompanied them home again. The company was required as my grandfather is hard of hearing, and has had a stroke so is not the easiest to travel with. They are otherwise physically well and felt that the trip was worth it. They signed in as needing wheelchair aid within the airports which limited their need for walking, and meant that they were delivered to where they needed to be.

Travelling unaccompanied would work if your parents are mentally fit enough to negotiate the airports. If they say they need to be assisted, then it makes it easier for them (I think that all plane companies have some form or assistance, otherwise the airports themselves will help out)

Breaking the trip is also a must for them.

If your dad is on medications such as warfarin and other blood thinning agents from his bypass, medical advise will be required to ensure that his health is not at risk on the flights.

I wish you/them a very pleasant trip and visit!