• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Springbok

• duToits

• Lynn

• Eva

Wish that damned house would sell so we could bring our money out!

Much better exchange rate than when we came three months ago, we paid almost R7.00 to the dollar.

.... and we paid almost R8 to the AUD when we came over last July :blink:

.... and we paid almost R8 to the AUD when we came over last July :blink:

Reminder to self ~ there is always someone out there worse off than you!

I can only pray that it stays that way until we need to go!!!! Please please pllleeeaaaazzzzee!!!!!

For those of us poor sods who're still trying to fund a mortgage in SA from Australia, cos we can't sell our property......this ain't such good news!

last month, I sent money across at 6.41/AUD. Today, it was just 6.05/AUD. Admittedly with Westpac, but can't get a hugely different rate anywhere else for the piddling amounts I send. Piddling is a relative word - piddling compared to executive bonuses, but pretty damn big for me!

When we arrived in Apr 2008, we purchased AUD in SA at 7.5 or something ridiculous.

Sigh.......there are two sides to every coin.

Our money has been paid over from Sa to Oz yesterday @ R6.27...wonderful! We are really blessed and happy with this rate!

Thanx for prayers being answered!

Yo!

• 4 weeks later...

04/27/2009 Monday 6.32421 ZAR

04/28/2009 Tuesday 6.19171 ZAR

04/29/2009 Wednday 6.01452 ZAR

04/30/2009 Thursday 6.02922 ZAR

05/01/2009 Friday 6.29656 ZAR

05/02/2009 Saturday 6.17886 ZAR

05/03/2009 Sunday 6.17886 ZAR

05/04/2009 Monday 6.14347 ZAR

05/05/2009 Tuesday 6.21431 ZAR

05/06/2009 Wedneday 6.16094 ZAR

05/07/2009 Thursday 6.23859 ZAR

05/08/2009 Friday 6.27028 ZAR

05/09/2009 Saturday 6.27835 ZAR

05/10/2009 Sunday 6.26772 ZAR

05/11/2009 Monday 6.49168 ZAR

05/12/2009 Tuesday 6.50518 ZAR

05/13/2009 Wedneday 6.49756 ZAR

05/14/2009 Thursday 6.56923 ZAR

05/15/2009 Friday 6.63059 ZAR

05/16/2009 Saturday 6.49647 ZAR

05/17/2009 Sunday 6.44628 ZAR

05/18/2009 Monday 6.38353 ZAR

05/19/2009 Tuesday 6.28425 ZAR

05/20/2009 Wedneday 6.40154 ZAR

05/21/2009 Thursday 6.43757 ZAR

05/22/2009 Friday 6.49962 ZAR

05/23/2009 Saturday 6.52069 ZAR

05/24/2009 Sunday 6.48118 ZAR

05/25/2009 Monday 6.44097 ZAR

05/26/2009 Tuesday 6.5054 ZAR

• 1 month later...

The rand is now more bullish than a Soweto taxi in peak traffic. Eish.

Wish I had my house sold so I could move my money as in NOW.

• 3 months later...

Can someone stop the OZ dollar getting stronger?

Please, pretty please.

Can someone stop the OZ dollar getting stronger?

Please, pretty please.

We also feel a little like this at the moment. We have been unable to sell our property in Aruba (which is linked to the USD) and when we left in April, the exchange rate was 1.57, now it is 1.08 !!!!! Not only is the rental income diminishing daily, but when we DO sell, the amount we bring over is signficantly reduced ! And I don't see the USD recovering in the next year......

Combine that with the way the Aus property prices are rising daily, and I think we will be in a tin shanty by the time we bring over our funds !!!

Sad thing was something similar happened when we left SA in 2000......seems that we can never win when is comes to the exchange rate !

But then, you can't have it all I suppose !

nix

• 2 weeks later...

The Rand is up to its old tricks again, the "reason" being quoted by Bloomberg as "demand waning for high-risk assets". Not to mention worsening unemployment numbers, etc.:

post-547-1257117617.gif

:cry::cry: this is making me very sad!!! As soon as my house is sold we're OUTTA here, so this better pick up!!!!

Joanne

• 2 months later...

AUD / ZAR Forecast for 2010 and beyond - Thought you guys might find this useful for planning money matters. Not an exact science, but their guess is better than mine.

post-14006-1263637663.jpg

I wonder why they see 2011 as a good year and then dropping after that. I would have 2010 as good and then drop from 2011.

I wonder why they see 2011 as a good year and then dropping after that. I would have 2010 as good and then drop from 2011.

I'm not a financial expert, just very analytical (Kat has another name for it), but from what I can see it has little to do with the Rand strength and more to do with the strength of the AUD vs the USD in 2011 which would obviously impact the AUD/ZAR rate. My guess, 2010 they expect Rand to be strong for a few reasons incl world cup, and then for the AUD to strengthen against the USD in 2011 (Maybe something to do with Rugby world cup in NZ - not that the impact is as large as football, but maybe expecting a spike in tourism, etc).........I THINK :rolleyes::jester:

I also have to say it is more to do with the AUD being strong against the USD. They expected the AUD to go up as much as being 20% overvalued against the USD before correction in the market again.

The AUD hasn't been this strong against the USD since 2008 before the GFC. It is hurting their economy in the same way the strong rand hurts SA economy, but looking at it long term, i think the AUD will surpass the USD within the next 3 years.

Looking at the graphs for the last 10 year, AUD is getting stronger and ZAR is getting weaker. Wish I could say one get lies, damn lies and then statistics, but a picture speaks a 1000 words *grin*

post-10416-1263677955.jpg

post-10416-1263678086.jpg

post-10416-1263678151.jpg

Craig, where you got the forecasted figures from? I like ;-)

One of my favourite hourly updates for currency:

http://www.fxanalyzer.com/rates_live_charts/audzar.html

Biker - I was just trying to find an idea of what the expect regarding currency, so I can work out timing on opening an account and starting to move some funds across. I got the stats out of an RMB doc on the net.

• 1 month later...
Biker - I was just trying to find an idea of what the expect regarding currency, so I can work out timing on opening an account and starting to move some funds across. I got the stats out of an RMB doc on the net.

Hi Craig,

I found this while looking for the document you got those forcasts from... they really trashed the RMB report ... thought you would be interested.

www.humanaction.co.za/2010/02/rmb-currency-analysts-are-incoherent

• 2 months later...

The AUD/ZAR is looking very favourable at the moment, for anyone looking to buy AUD. I'm about to get my travel allowance into dollars and at 6.68 it's very tempting indeed.

I'm no expert when it comes to trading and finance, but I like to think that sentiment has a lot to do with rates. The fact that South Africa will be in the world's spotlight over the next two months, in the midst of all the SWC fever (hype?) would make me think that the Rand would strengthen somewhat. Couple that with the fact that asian markets have been negatively affected by the weakening Euro which, in turn, has led to a softer AUD, one would hope that the Rand would grow even stronger against the A$.

So, the question is do I jump at 6.68 or do I hold out for another two/three weeks?

House transfer was completed yesterday ....I want that cash today!!! got quoted 6.69 by exchange4free....

• 11 months later...

Hi All

Are there any financial guru's on the forum who can give advice on the Rand/ Aus Dollar. We need to buy our travel allowance but the Rand is so weak. Is there any chance of it improving over the next few weeks or will it become weaker due to SA elections coming up.

Thanks,

Flo

Are there any financial guru's on the forum who can give advice on the Rand/ Aus Dollar. We need to buy our travel allowance but the Rand is so weak. Is there any chance of it improving over the next few weeks or will it become weaker due to SA elections coming up.

Sometimes the "experts" predict one thing and then the opposite happens. The AUD just seems to defy gravity and gets stronger by the day. Maybe just bite the bullet and convert now - the risk is always that you wait for things to improve, only to see them deteriorate even more. Good luck... it's a tough decision to make.

Hi,

I've been following the AUD/ZAR (Rand) regularly for almost a year. You can go to www.xe.com for up to date spot rates and look at some nice graphs i.e. 1y 2y 5y 10y etc. and make a guess just like everybody else. What I can tell you is that the AUD is extremely (almost unrealistically) strong against USD and it is possible that it may correct against USD but not necessarily against ZAR. The USD / ZAR is at 6.70 and it seems to be a good rate. It is possible for you to buy some USD and keep it in Australia but you will be taking a risk, keep that in mind. It is also possible to convert your money over a period i.e. two months just ask Tanya at Exchange 4 Free.

If you want certainty convert now and never look back, you may become depressed or you may feel lucky.

Good luck,

Gerhard