Photos from our long weekend in beautiful Bright, Victoria.

Sibella

It's about four hours drive from Melbourne near Mt. Buffalo. Bright is a very quaint town with beautiful shops (even the Woolies is beautiful with the mountain in the background) and great restaurants and cafes next to the river.

Lots to do - we hired bikes and cycled the rail trail, went hiking in Mt Buffalo to see the waterfalls, played in the river, saw a fireworks display at the Bright Spring festival and visited the deer and emu farm.

We loved it and it's very family friendly as well.

Chupa chup is a type of lolly pop (suigstokkie) I'm sure you get them in South Africa as well?

Yes, very nice countryside, my sort of thing...Thanx for sharing

Edited by phil g
  • Like 1

Awesome area. We camped at Mt Beauty a few years ago and spent some time in bright. Drove up Mt Buffalo, as far as we could go and then my wife dropped me off and I rode down. Most. Fun Ever.

• Like 1

And then people want to stay in RSA "because the country is so beautiful". Seriously?! I'd rather appreciate natural beauty in another country without fearing a gun to my head!

• Like 1

Awesome beauty !! Thanks for sharing. I think I'll love to live amongst such peace and beauty ...

• Like 1

Wow..thanks for sharing. *Note to self - VISIT Bright in Victoria one day!!!!

Thanks Sibella. I love Bright !!!

It is in such a lovely setting and with families riding their bikes all over the place and playing in the river in summer it just has a really nice feel.

I can't add much to Sibella's cool photos but here is a couple of shots of the fun slides the local Rotary group have going into the river in summer:

8222708103_27974d8d79_b.jpg

8223789562_b003d2ac59_b.jpg

8222714533_00b7b76a61_b.jpg

8223787238_0c77d1102f_b.jpg

8223789176_1fa5b3faae_b.jpg

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Hi Fish - that's great. I saw the first metal slide but where is the second green one? Looks like a lot of fun!

HansaPlease you are mad cycling down Mt Buffalo!! Saw lots of guys doing it really fast and my nerves - I didn't even like being driven down very slowly in our car!

We had great weather when we were there a few weeks ago, thought it would be cooler as it's higher up but it was around 27 degrees. My kids swam in the pool at our campsite but it wasn't heated so quite chilly.

We decided we're going to Bright every year as it's so gorgeous and there is so much to do.

It's also very beautiful in autumn with all the changing colours. Also it's about an hour away from Mt. Buller (I think) with great skiing in winter, so really a great place any time of year.

• Like 2

We have been to Bright summer and winter. It is one of my favourite weekend destinations. There is a 90km cycle trail from Bright back to the Hume Highway which goes through a number of small towns and past a number of wineries. While we didnt do the long cycle (kids too young) we cycled from the house we stayed in the 5km into Bright itself, past the streams and stopped to watch the paragliders (it is a favourite summer jump stop as it is at the base of the Victorian Alpines so has a lot of thermals). We weren't brave enough to try paraglide but my kids were very enthused as we have family who do.

There is also a fantastic apple farm at the end of the road where you can buy fresh summer apples. The whole region has lots of yummy stuff for people who love food, cheese and wine. It is great to see honesty boxes in operation. Coming home to Melbourne we stopped at one farm with a fridge at the front gate full of boxes of blueberries - we popped our coins in the money box and enjoyed the freshest sweetest blueberries.

In winter we used it as our base for going up to Mount Hotham, where my husband and children quickly worked out how to snowboard and ski respectively, while I learnt how to slide downhill on my butt, side or back! Coming back down at the end of the day we thoroughly enjoyed the coffe shops (there is a retro cafe with fantabulous cheesecake) and a roaring log fire.

In Autumn it hosts a harvest festival - another foodie occasion.

It is definitely worth a visit as it offers so much no matter your interest.

• Like 3

Hi Fish - that's great. I saw the first metal slide but where is the second green one? Looks like a lot of fun!

It was just a tiny bit up river from the other one from memory. Maybe 40 metres or so but my memory is crap :) It was still near the big riverside park(s) with the play equipment. I think it only operates in summer.

Hearing all the good stuff you and sunnyskies did makes me want to go back again. Would love to ride the bike trails. Will have to get a bike holder for my car.

Edited by Fish

Yes next time we also want to take our own bikes. Told my husband to take them, he didn't listen (as usual haha) so we ended up hiring them at $90 for half a day! Had to hire two adult bikes, 1 kids bike and one of those trailer thingies (see pic). We cycled from Bright past our campsite in Porepunkah to a wine farm and then back to the Rail Trail Cafe where we had breakfast. Best thing was that our baby fell asleep so we could have breakfast in peace (small pleasures but oh so lovely....)

430712_10151140457750897_1848011345_n.jpg

• Like 4

HansaPlease you are mad cycling down Mt Buffalo!! Saw lots of guys doing it really fast and my nerves - I didn't even like being driven down very slowly in our car!

It's much more fun than cycling up :)

• Like 2

Really nice, gonna have to add this one to the list

Bright looks like an awesome place. We are moving to Wagga soon, so will definitely check it out.

Thanks for the posts.

Hi Sibella

I suppose you do not miss the cold weather of the UK then? It has just started to be really cold here, we have the heating on and I long for a bit of warm sunshine! Glad to see you and your family are happy in Australia...still wish we could go there!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Bienkie! No I don't miss the UK's weather or our tiny house. I do miss my friends, Europe and Guildford, the history of the place and M & S!

And I underestimated the time it would take for us to truly settle in. We are still in the process as it takes a while.

But the summer days here are beautiful and winters quite mild so life is good! Did some pizza on the Weber last night and going to the Moonlight Cinema at the Botanical Gardens tonight:)!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I cant wait to move!!! its pics like these that put my mind at ease, as you dont really know what to axpect, you see all the "pro photos" posted on travel sites and so on, but never the normal day to day living pict and thing normal people do, were outdoor people and were worried that there would not be much to do, but the pics of the super tube going into a natural dam/river......... just awesome exactly what we love. Thanx for putting one nervous wreck at ease I am now so anxious to get "down under" no more fear!!