Accountant in Melbourne

Barney

Any advice on securing a Commercial Accountant position in Melbourne without local Aus experience?

Sorry, but I will contact you hopefully in a year to find out. Still waiting for IELTS scores and have to do a skill and work assessment. I see you have been in Aus since Oct 2011. Have you not had a work since then, if I may ask? I am just trying to find out how difficult it is to get a job.

Hi Kooskrokodil

Enough work here, but one probably has to gain a bit of local experience, before employers will consider you for a Senior Accountant position...

• 1 month later...

Hi Barney!

How easy is it to get even the junior accountant? How are the salaries? Can one survive? What if you hsvr the CA or CPA qualification? Do you have to start as a junior.

You get stuck in catch 22. If you apply for a senior position cause you're a CA, they don't appoint you as they don't want to take the risk of employing someone in a senior capacity without ozzie experience. If you try for junior, they tell you you are over qualified and they are scared that you will only stay with them for a month or two and then get a better paying job, and then they have to start looking all over. This has happened to my husband about 3 times. Just yesterday a company actually took the time to call him and say that his resume is very impressive and he was one of the best candidates, but he didn't make the shortlist as he is over qualified and should be earning more.

Some Saffers here have suggested "down grading" your resume. You know, not lying on your resume, just not blowing your own trumpet for the whole of Oz to hear, so blow ahead, but do it do more softly. If you know what I mean.....

Hi Barney!

How easy is it to get even the junior accountant? How are the salaries? Can one survive? What if you hsvr the CA or CPA qualification? Do you have to start as a junior.

If you have CPA or ICAA membership, Australia is your oyster....

My husband has started his CPA this year and hopefully by the end of next year he'll be fully qualified. Also remember to put on your CV that your skills have been assessed by CPA/ICAA. Remember, these companies don't know immigration rules, they just know if your visa says PR they can give you a job. They don't know that you actually have to jump through 6 million hoops to get here. So the moment my husband put it on his CV that his skills were assessed by ICAA and found to be equivalent to Oz standards, we saw more interest from agents. They even asked for a copy of the ICAA assessment.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

If you have CPA or ICAA membership, Australia is your oyster....

My husband has started his CPA this year and hopefully by the end of next year he'll be fully qualified. Also remember to put on your CV that your skills have been assessed by CPA/ICAA. Remember, these companies don't know immigration rules, they just know if your visa says PR they can give you a job. They don't know that you actually have to jump through 6 million hoops to get here. So the moment my husband put it on his CV that his skills were assessed by ICAA and found to be equivalent to Oz standards, we saw more interest from agents. They even asked for a copy of the ICAA assessment.

Hope it helps.

It really helps and gives a sense of peace. I have been enrolled in CPA as an Associate Member. I am not sure if that is recognised. I need to do about five papers to be accepted as a member. Thank you so much and please keep me updated with regards to any progress for your husband's "Comercial Accountant" search. We would love to take a leaf from that!