CANBERRA cost of living

Hartell

Hello all.....

I am in the process of applying for the ACT SS190 VISA. I have just submitted Vetasses and while I am waiting for that I thought to start the ACT Nomination application preparation.

I require some information for the Settlement Statement required with my Nomination Application.

Although I have a pretty good Idea of what accomodation will cost (Rentals - appox aud 450 to aud550) I really have no idea what things like Fuel, monthly groceries, schools etc will cost.

Any usefull links or suggestions in this regard????

I have a son (8) and a daughter (6) who will be doing grade 3 and 1 in 2013.

Thanks in advnace for the help

Regards

Joanne :unsure:

Great question Hartell, I was wondering the same thing.

It's difficult to find ave cost of living info if you're not based locally so if anyone has been in Canberra or surrounding and can provide input it'd be hugely helpful for all Canberrans-to-be :ilikeit:

• Like 1

We went to Canberra in Oct to activate our PR Visas, I enrolled my 2 kids in a state school for 2013 (FREE) medical is also FREE.

the cost of living is about the same as SA, petrol is a bit more expensive in Canberra, you are correct in saying weekly

Rental is round about $450 to $500 but that would be for a nice 3/4 bedroom house, all the areas in the North are great

A lot of Saffers live in the North.

Also what is nice is you don't have to worry about paying for alarm systems / high walls around your house / armed response /

Car guards / packers at the tills ( Most places are self service )

Hi Hartell, I am going to Canberra next year and found all the info that I needed on a wonderful website called www.liveincanberra.com.au. (Unfortunately, they seem to be doing some maintenance today but definitely go into it soon.) They have a tab called "fast facts" that tell you how much things in Canberra cost ie: cuppuchino's & bus tickets :ilikeit: They will even send you an info pack with all the info that you need.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi Hartell, I am going to Canberra next year and found all the info that I needed on a wonderful website called www.liveincanberra.com.au. (Unfortunately, they seem to be doing some maintenance today but definitely go into it soon.) They have a tab called "fast facts" that tell you how much things in Canberra cost ie: cuppuchino's & bus tickets :ilikeit: They will even send you an info pack with all the info that you need.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I applied for this pack from them. WOW. There is a ton of information that is very helpful. Over a kilo of paper and they sent it for free.

Hi Hartell (Joanne)... yes I received PR for ACT in June this year. I have never been to Canberra :blush: so have no idea where I will choose to stay in the end. I am planning to leave SA in May next year and will no doubt be calling on fellow Canberrian Forumites for advise. I hope that your process goes well and that we both are living in and lovin Canberra soon :ilikeit: Keep in touch.

I copied the following info from a site called www.canberrayourfuture.com.au and hope that it may be useful to you and others headed there:

Cost of living in Canberra

All day parking in the city: $8.00 - $12.00

•Metered parking in the city: $2.00/hour

•Cappuccino: $3.00-$3.80

•Movie ticket (Dendy Cinemas): Adult $18.00; Concession $14.50; Child $13.00; Senior $11.00

•ACTION bus tickets

◦Cash fare single adult: $4.00

◦Cash fare concession/student: $2.00

◦MyWay single trip: $2.52

◦MyWay concession: $1.26

◦MyWay school: $0.95

Note: you must purchase a MyWay card to access the MyWay fares above

•Free Entry:

◦Australian War Memorial

◦National Gallery of Australia

◦National Portrait Gallery

◦National Museum of Australia

◦National Archives of Australia

◦National Library of Australia

◦National Film and Sound Archive

◦Canberra Glassworks

•Olympic Pool (Civic): Adult $6:00; Concession $4.00; under 3yo free

•Ice Skating (Phillip): $15.00 ($3.00 skate hire)

•Canberra Raiders (National Rugby League): Adults $28.00-$34.00; Children $12.00-$17.00

•Brumbies (Super Rugby): Adults $33.00; Children $12.00

•Entry to the National Zoo and Aquarium: Adults $35.50; Children up to 3 years $2; Children 4 to 15 years $20.00; Concession $29.00; Family (two adults and 3 children) $99.00

•Floriade entry (spring flower festival): Free

•18 holes of golf (Gungahlin Lakes): Weekday $25.00; Weekend $37.00

Median Housing Costs^

•Median three bedroom house rent: $460 per week

•Median three bedroom house price: $494,000

•Median two bedroom unit / flat / town house rent: $450 per week

•Median two bedroom unit / flat / town house price: $420,000

* All statistics are approximate and current at July 2012.

^ Housing statistics obtained from REIA Market Facts – June 2012 quarter

Also a really interesting website for 360 degree virtual tours of various categories is : www.actuality.net.au (quite fun!)

AlBrough - I am so glad that you managed to get the info pack - it is truly worth ploughing through

Claudiodr - I hope that you are getting all the info that you need? Let me know if I can help.

Have a great day everybody!

• Like 2

We also recieved our info pack from ACT Government and was amazed by how much info they sent us! I think we are going to really enjoy Canberra. I get my IELTS results this Friday and assessment results should be coming through any day now too. So much of excitement! If we all end up there we must stay in touch. :santa:

Thanks africancowgirl - for the effort!!!!

Wow you're a brave one to wait a full year to leave after your visa grant. - I think I will leave the next day....... :blush-anim-cl:

Hey ACTuality - keep us posted on Vestassess I am anxious to know how fast they're responding - I've read some results were received within 4 weeks of submission. Holding thumbs for you

Will do. It has been 5 weeks today since I received acknowledgement that VETASSESS received my assessment. I am hoping it comes through by 18 Dec (8 weeks) so we can submit our EOI.

Yeah I know :blush-anim-cl: and it took me 3 and a half years to get the darn visa (First applied in Nov 2008 :censored: )...so you would think that I would have been better prepared! Anyway better late than never and I cannot wait to get going!

Hang in there ACTuality...you'll be sorted soon and then we can all have a drink together in Canberra :ilikeit:

In relation to the bus transport, I cann add some information to the prices below:

•ACTION bus tickets

What you must take into account is that a single trip fare entitles you to travel on any ACTION bus for 90 min. I catch 3 buses from where i stay in the north (Bonner) and it still only costs me $2.52 although i actually pay $2.39 because i fund my card using electronic payment (B Pay as they call it here) I travel early in the morning and subsequently return earlier which means that my my afternoon trip only costs $2 (1.90 because of B Pay) so a trip to work and back costs me $4.29 a day. Unbeatable value.

Hope that helps

Stephen

I spent a week in Canberra and found prices reasonable. Some stuff is cheaper than South Africa. Food is the same, with a few products about 40% more. Fruit and Veg is double. Petrol is just a little more. Movies are crazy. Salaries are much more than SA. Houses are about double or 3 times more.

Hi Hartell (Joanne)... yes I received PR for ACT in June this year. I have never been to Canberra :blush: so have no idea where I will choose to stay in the end. I am planning to leave SA in May next year and will no doubt be calling on fellow Canberrian Forumites for advise. I hope that your process goes well and that we both are living in and lovin Canberra soon :ilikeit: Keep in touch.

I copied the following info from a site called www.canberrayourfuture.com.au and hope that it may be useful to you and others headed there:

Cost of living in Canberra

All day parking in the city: $8.00 - $12.00

•Metered parking in the city: $2.00/hour

•Cappuccino: $3.00-$3.80

•Movie ticket (Dendy Cinemas): Adult $18.00; Concession $14.50; Child $13.00; Senior $11.00

•ACTION bus tickets

•Free Entry:

◦Australian War Memorial

◦National Gallery of Australia

◦National Portrait Gallery

◦National Museum of Australia

◦National Archives of Australia

◦National Library of Australia

◦National Film and Sound Archive

◦Canberra Glassworks

•Olympic Pool (Civic): Adult $6:00; Concession $4.00; under 3yo free

•Ice Skating (Phillip): $15.00 ($3.00 skate hire)

•Canberra Raiders (National Rugby League): Adults $28.00-$34.00; Children $12.00-$17.00

•Brumbies (Super Rugby): Adults $33.00; Children $12.00

•Entry to the National Zoo and Aquarium: Adults $35.50; Children up to 3 years $2; Children 4 to 15 years $20.00; Concession $29.00; Family (two adults and 3 children) $99.00

•Floriade entry (spring flower festival): Free

•18 holes of golf (Gungahlin Lakes): Weekday $25.00; Weekend $37.00

Median Housing Costs^

•Median three bedroom house rent: $460 per week

•Median three bedroom house price: $494,000

•Median two bedroom unit / flat / town house rent: $450 per week

•Median two bedroom unit / flat / town house price: $420,000

* All statistics are approximate and current at July 2012.

^ Housing statistics obtained from REIA Market Facts – June 2012 quarter

Also a really interesting website for 360 degree virtual tours of various categories is : www.actuality.net.au (quite fun!)

AlBrough - I am so glad that you managed to get the info pack - it is truly worth ploughing through

Claudiodr - I hope that you are getting all the info that you need? Let me know if I can help.

Have a great day everybody!

You're a superstar AfricanCowGirl...that's a great post! Thanks a mil:-)

Although, after seeing Super Rugby tickets and a round of golf are pretty affordable, the rest was a bit of a blur :whome:

No worries mate (ok...I don't normally say that!) :blush-anim-cl: but I couldn't agree more about the rugby & golf :ilikeit:

• Like 1