getting spices in from SA

Natashajooste

Has anyone have advise on getting spices in

from Pretoria to Perth? which courier to use

etc.

thanks!

What kind of spices are you looking for? Is daar nie 'n SA winkel wat dit dalk verkoop in Perth nie?

• 9 months later...

I want to revive this thread:

I had an idea to buy a clear plastic box that you can quickly check - and fill it with spices - specifically Ina Paarman spices...and some Roberson spices

The container agent told me that they will probably inspect it and it will cost me more.

My questions are:

Has anyone sent over spices in their container?

Was there extra cost (Im asking this because Im reasoning they are going to inspect in any case since there is wooden furniture etc so to check the ingredients of some spices shouldnt be that time consuming)

were all the spices allowed or were there some confiscated?

thanx - any advice would be welcome.

I'm pretty sure that provided your spices are still in the manufacturers wrapping and sealed that they will get through. My sister regularly brings spices into Australia from Mauritius and the only time she has had a problem is when a packet is not sealed. Having said that, homemade spices or spices that are still very much in their raw state (ie bark) is likely to be problematic, escpecially if they cannot tell what is in the spices or if it is not clear that there are no goggas in the stuff.

Maybe a safer and quicker and cheaper option would be to pack all the spices in my suitcase? That way I can declare and they can inspect immediately without me incurring extra quarantine inspection fees should they hold the container back for this

but thanx for the advice...Im really relieved

If you are in Perth, go to a place called Prime Products, 631 Wannero road. They sell a massive amount of good quality spices from all over the world including South Africa. Most of the spices they sell are indian but they have a huge variety.

You can buy South African spices online from Satooz (delivery within 2 - 3 days, depending where you live). Our local Coles has started stocking Ina Paarman products and I know that Woolworths generally has a South African section too.

• Like 1

Thanx CMH - thats the best news I got this week! Then I will rather get it that side, save me some border control troubles :)

We have a really diverse selection of spices here and more unusual ones at deli's or speciality shops, although there are just some spices from RSA that I really like, I'm never without perperi or spice for rice and braai salt...oh and the Portuguese spice is just more lemony, but yes the South African shops do sell them.

If I was to encourage you to pack something in your container that I have to wait until I get to the South African shop for (and also made my Mum fill her suitcase with) are the Knorr marinades, you know the powdered one you mix with water, especially the garlic steak, she also brought me lots of the Knorr pasta sauces and regular sauces as a treat., white onion and brown onion, and oxtail soup packets too.

You can get most things, but some little familiar tastes are nice, and the white onion soup powder is great for cobb bread.

If I was to encourage you to pack something in your container that I have to wait until I get to the South African shop for (and also made my Mum fill her suitcase with) are the Knorr marinades, you know the powdered

one you mix with water, especially the garlic steak, she also brought me lots of the Knorr pasta sauces and regular sauces as a treat., white onion and brown onion, and oxtail soup packets too.

you want me to pack you some and then post it in Oz? Would be happy to :)

No, I can get most from the SA shop, but thank you so much for offering.....you keep your space for your things, if I can think of anything else or anything you can't get, I'll let you know..............I've got my stash of soups....lol

• 1 month later...

I brought quit a few bottles of spices (in and robertsons) and saches of soups (oxtail) and bottles of chutney and mayo in my container, I had no problems at all and a lot of my boxes were inspected. So unless the rules have changed ( this was 2009) I say if u have space, have them bubble wrap it and declare it and u will be fine.

That being said, the only thing I can't find so far is those saches u mix with sour creme to make dips (cubbs).

That being said, the only thing I can't find so far is those saches u mix with sour creme to make dips (cubbs).

We just use a packet of vegetable cup a soup - as in the local stuff. Mix it in well with the sour cream,

leave it in the fridge overnight... Best dip ever!

I think that through time you pretty much learn where to source anything you like from anywhere in the world. I got some lovely mixes for dips from a market stall, otherwise there are ready made and really yummy dips available in the fridge section at the supermarkets.I use Rajah curry powder when lazy, but we have sharwoods and pataks curry pastes or cook in sauces, or I just buy the spices whole, toast them and grind them in a little cheapy coffee grinder when needed.............much nicer than anything you can buy.

• 1 month later...

Hi to you all,

just to inform you,that you can buv boerewors calling to SA receipe in Coles in section with all type of sausages.

I have seen it,bought it,taste id and believe me,it does not taste bad at all.

Just to let you know.Regards to all,

AlexMaria.

Thanks for that, I'll give the Coles boerie a try. I've tried to like the one that Woolworths sells, the "British Sausage Company" one, and I've come to realise that it's just horrible.