a *VERY* useful site for potential migrants doing budgets

monsta

This site was put together by UBank. It shows you summaries of real bank customer's transactions.

This is a fantastic tool for working out what you are likely to spend when living in Aus.

http://peoplelikeu.com.au/

For example, the average Australian grocery bill $367 per month. The average Australian spends $113pm on their car, $190pm on insurance, etc..

The site can even narrow it down by your age, location and income and show you what people like you actually spend.

Cheers

Great find, thanks :)

For example, the average Australian grocery bill $367 per month. The average Australian spends $113pm on their car, $190pm on insurance, etc.

I haven't been able to open the site yet (company system blocking content for some reason) but I have to say I WISH I had a grocery bill of $367 per month. That's about 90% of what I spend a week for a family of 4 and I pay about $550 per month on repayment of my car loan and my daughter spend about $380 on her car loan - nowhere near the $113 pm as mentioned - and that doesn't even include regos and car services....

Wish I could open the link to the site.....

I also found the figures according to my profile incorrect. Groceries are too low. It's says I spend $700 on travel and accommodation. Which sadly is not the case! I wish. And the coat of my rent and utilities is under estimated. It's says I have a complete cost of $1700 whereas I pay closer to $2400. So just be careful if you are going to use the site to base your actual budget on.

I see they also offer the opportunity to enter your own values for each section. This means they actually allow the system to grow its database and become a little more accurate. :)

Mmmm, when I enter my details it says people like me spend $772 pm on groceries...probably nearer $1200- $1500 per month. I think most people's car repayments would be between $100- $150 per week for a small car.I think figures as low as that are for families around the $50 000 in salary mark. A small car would probably set you back around $45 per month for insurance and around $60 p month for CTP.

0% of people in my postcode spend the same amount of electricity as me.......mmmmm I don't think so

4% spend the same on health insurance....I spend $300 and that is with the 30% rebate.

No offence, but these kind of figures don't seem very realistic. I think planning your budget from that side is not very practical as you just don't know what your earning potential is. Depending on your field you could be earning anywhere from $50 000 to $100 000 in the same job in different parts of the country. I.e. a diesel fitter in a factory in Perth or a diesel fitter on a mine site in Queensland.

It is probably best to get better ideas of budgets from those who share their spending costs on this site.

Thank you, great site even if a little inacurate. I think it will improve as more people use it. Quite interesting to be able to compare yourself to others and what they are paying, perhaps even to find a better deal.

I also found the figures according to my profile incorrect. Groceries are too low. It's says I spend $700 on travel and accommodation. Which sadly is not the case! I wish. And the coat of my rent and utilities is under estimated. It's says I have a complete cost of $1700 whereas I pay closer to $2400. So just be careful if you are going to use the site to base your actual budget on.

Is that $2400 PER WEEK? Yikes!!

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like most people responding consider the http://peoplelikeu.com.au/ site data to be inaccurate. I'd be interested and find it extremely useful if someone (especially in the Brisbane area) would be prepared to list their budget here, please?

Edited by Johnwatt

Hi Miracle,

Sorry missed your comment.

Now its $2400 pm for the house rental, water, electricity and gas. And for a small older house! Eish!