Never expected this... but saw it coming... (part 1 - the decision)

GideonVD

Where to begin? Well, this would have been easier if I started when I started the process. But yeah, I didn't think of it at the time, so now I'll have to make do.

Let's go back to the start, or slightly before the start. ;)

Ever since I married my wife, she's been poking and prodding to "get the hell out of Dodge". We did the whole going overseas trips about every year, seeing that we don't have kids as yet. After our last trip to Scotland during March this year (2012), I truly started seeing the reality of what I chose to conveniently ignore... South Africa has become a shadow of it's former self, and with no foreseeable end to the bad administration... will eventually become the next Zimbabwe (flamers can keep their opinions, this is mine and I have the right to it).

Just literally a week after returning I was again ignited in my "drive" when I was almost pushed off the road by an insensitive *enter own description here* of a taxi driver and then he had the gall to tell me "F-off you piece of white trash. We don't need you and we will kill you." Yes. What a lovely rainbow piece of crap society we have. Told my wife... I've had it. The very next day she drops me an email... "I've spoken to an agent that does migration and there's a way to get into Australia, it might be a bit risky but hey... it might be worth it in the long run."

I didn't immediately decide on anything. Told my wife to give me 24 hours to make up my mind. Actually it was already made, just wanted to give myself time to make damn sure in my heart that it really was what I wanted.

That's how we started, contacted the very agent that was very helpful in guiding us, and signed up.

This is not a cheap process if you do decide to go via agents, this one set us R28000 out of pocket, but at least it was split across 4 months as not to give my bank manager a heart attack.

But in hindsight, this was the best decision I've made (apart from marrying my wife and doing my Masters degree) ;)

• Like 5

This is not a cheap process if you do decide to go via agents, this one set us R28000 out of pocket, but at least it was split across 4 months as not to give my bank manager a heart attack.

Bliksem! My bank manager would still have a heart attack if I tried that over 4 months, you can't be doing too badly ;)

Basically lending money from my reserve funds on my home loan... so not really helping my future financial situation when it becomes time to move...

You certainly made the right decision.

I was pretty much like you. My wife kept telling me about moving out and I kept putting it off. That was until I went on my first visit to Oz.

Today, my only wish is that I made my decision long time ago.

Better late than never I guess.

All the very best Gideon.

Thanks, same to you :)

You have quite a way with words painting a rather vivid picture in my mind about your encounters with the darker forces :ph34r:

Good luck with the journey - you will most certainly not regret doing it, only regret not making the decision sooner :ilikeit:

Agreed and thank you ;)

The best decision you will ever make. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Continued here ->