Applying for Citizenship : did you renounce your SA citizenship?

GottaGo

Hi,

We've been able to apply for our Australian citizenship for a while and been slack and not done it but are ready to do so now.

One thing I've heard is that other South Africans have renounced their SA citizenhsip because "it took them too long to hear back from SA Dept of Home Affairs" about keeping dual citizenship.

Is this nonsense? What is the exact procedure in terms of documentation required from SA? I didn't know we needed to get that information.How long does it take?

What if I don't want to renounce my SA citizenship?

Thanks,

Sally

Edited by The Martins

Hi Sally

This is the process if you want dual citizenship. If you do not apply before you obtain Australian citizenship you loose your South African citizenship. However children who arrive in Australia as minors do not automatically loose SA citizenship even after they turn 18. This has ramifications regarding passports because you do have to enter and leave South Africa on a South African passport if you are a dual citizen and leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport....so more red tape and costs.

Requirements for your application

1. Application for Retention of South African Citizenship (form BI-1664): requires details of your future citizenship for which you are planning to acquire. NB: Questions 9 and 10 MUST be answered.
  2. Determination of your Current Status (form BI-529): requires details of your present status in order that we may ascertain your claim for South African citizenship. Information pertaining to parent's details; a minimum of their full date and place of birth is required.
  3. A copy of the photo page of your current South African passport showing the passport number and dates of issue and expiry. If your passport has expired, it is advisable to apply for a new passport as soon as possible should you need to travel to South Africa.
  4. A fee of 43.00 AUD per application. One Postal Money Order or Bank cheque for the total amount (if more than one application) is preferred.

Payment must be in Australian Dollars (AUD) made out to the “South African High Commission” by way of Postal Money Order or Bank Cheque. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Processing time is approximately 3 to 6 months.

All the info you need is here http://www.sahc.org.au/citizenship/Dual_Citizenship.htm

We posted our application to Canberra on 18th April 2012. Our approval letter which we received beginning of July was dated 6th June 2012. Cost $43 each and about $10 in return postage.

I also would like to know:

• If you were born in SA, can they ever cancel your citizenship? If they did this, could you just return (if you ever wanted to) as a permanent resident?
  • What happens if you already have citizenship of another country? For example - I have UK citizenship and SA citizenship. If I fill in this form before applying for Australian citizenship, would the fact that I am also a citizen of the UK have any implication.

In a perfect world I'd have just thrown my SA passport in the bin as I went through emigration at the airport, but sadly I do need to keep my passport so it's easy to go back and visit family. And of course.. you never know what may happen.

• Like 1

Could someone please tell me what the benefits are (if any) to retain South African citizenship?

If both our folks are not around by the time we apply for citizenship, I will definitely not waste my time in applying for dual citizenship. Actually, I think I will not even bother if they where still around. An SA VISA for each home trip will work also :P

Could someone please tell me what the benefits are (if any) to retain South African citizenship?

Can you imagine having to deal with those retards at home affairs to apply for a visa for PR if you ever wanted to return?

Or just for a visa to go visit family?

You have to deal with the idiots at Home Affairs for much longer (think "warm heart of Africa"). Also you can keep SA bank accounts more easily.

On the other hand, if you're like me and an SA citizen born out of SA then getting a new SA passport is an uphill struggle, because they put your application in with all the SA citizens born in Nigeria or Zimbabwe, who are citizens by virtue of being "married" to SA citizens who've never met them. Still waiting for an SA passport 4 months after applying - funny my Aussie one was here within 3 weeks.

Family reasons aside I can't think of any other reason worth going through the hassle to retain it.

I suppose though it's one thing saying that while you're still in SA perhaps a person's perspective changes a little when in Australia!?!?

I also would like to know:

• If you were born in SA, can they ever cancel your citizenship? If they did this, could you just return (if you ever wanted to) as a permanent resident?
  • What happens if you already have citizenship of another country? For example - I have UK citizenship and SA citizenship. If I fill in this form before applying for Australian citizenship, would the fact that I am also a citizen of the UK have any implication.

1: Yes, they cancel your citizenship if you fail to apply for retention, but yes, you can re-apply for permanent residency if you intend to return permanently...

2. It shouldn't matter as long as you went down the proper channels (like retention) to get your UK. If it was through birth then retention is not an issue if you were granted citizenship before you turned 18. You do have to declare your existing citizenships when you apply for your retention when you apply for your Aus. The questions about how many citizenships you have, how you obtained them and whether you applied for retention are on the forms. I went through all this in the beginning of the year and I now have SA, UK and Aus citizenships.

Shout if you have more questions...

• Like 1

If you don't want to retain your South African citizenship then you must officially renounce it. Although the link above says, "If a South African citizen does not obtain this prior permission they will automatically lose their South African citizenship on voluntary acquisition of a foreign citizenship" there have been people who have had problems trying to visit South Africa post becoming an Aussie.

We chose to keep ours. No particular reason other than I still have some financial interests in SA and need to keep a bank account open, so thought I'd play it safe and hold on to it for now - and frankly saw no reason to just willingly give up something I'm entitled to keep.

The process of applying for retention was actually not much hassle. Got the forms, posted it along with some supporting stuff and a money order to Canberra...total of 30 minutes of work. 5 months later got the letter, which was no problem because we got the wheels rolling on applying for retention way ahead of when we qualified for citizenship.

But it's been proven to be an emotive and personal issue to many, so realise not all will feel the same as I did.

@ donovan - as have been said if you do not apply for retention before taking up other citizenship you automatically loose it, no questions asked and no way of getting it back if you've lost it that way. You don't lose your right to PR though so could in theory still go and live there and eventually get back citizenship that way if life took you down that path. Also worth noting you have to apply for retention every time you take on another citizenship, so if already dual citizen who previously applied for retention you still have to apply again. If some day down the track you don't want to keep your SA citizenship anymore after initially getting permission to retain it you can still rescind it at any time by sending another form to the SA government in much the same process as applying for retention.

z

Edited by zetman

How much is a South African visa on an Australian passport?

Couple of points that have been missed

If you have "lost" your RSA citizenship because you have become a naturalisation citizen of another country you may return and live in RSA only if you we're born in RSA. I.e. you were originally a RSA citizen by birth. You have no such right if you we're originally a RSA citizen by decent, or naturalisation.

You do not need to apply for retention of citizenship if you are a citizen of another country by birth or decent. You only need to do it if you intend to become a citizen of another country by NATURALISATION.

People entering RSA who have lost their RSA citizenship and have trouble at RSA passport control when they present their Aussie passport are given trouble because the immigration officer is not aware of this law, but are typically aware of the law requiring citizen to enter and leave RSA on their RSA passport. It's a training issue, not a legal issue.

Remember if you are an RSA citizen in South Africa and you get in trouble the Australian embassy cannot help you.

Edited by 16yearsoutofrsa

1: Yes, they cancel your citizenship if you fail to apply for retention, but yes, you can re-apply for permanent residency if you intend to return permanently...

2. It shouldn't matter as long as you went down the proper channels (like retention) to get your UK. If it was through birth then retention is not an issue if you were granted citizenship before you turned 18. You do have to declare your existing citizenships when you apply for your retention when you apply for your Aus. The questions about how many citizenships you have, how you obtained them and whether you applied for retention are on the forms. I went through all this in the beginning of the year and I now have SA, UK and Aus citizenships.

Shout if you have more questions...

Thanks :) I got it by descent and I got it before I turned 18 so hopefully it won't be an issue. It'll be cool to have 3 passports :D

Thanks :) I got it by descent and I got it before I turned 18 so hopefully it won't be an issue. It'll be cool to have 3 passports :D

Makes you feel like James Bond :)

How much is a South African visa on an Australian passport?

Hello AlBrough

You do not need to apply for a visa to visit South Africa on an Australian passport. When you enter South Africa, you get a stamp in your passport which entitles you to stay in the country for maximum of 90 days as a tourist. That is all to it. No application, no fee.

P.S We renounced our SA citizenship just because we have no intentions to ever move permanently to SA again and don't want to deal with passport renewals. Also, when in South Africa and we get in trouble, I can rely on the Australian embassy for help. (anywhere in the world for that matter)

Hope this helps.

B

Edit: this post didn't really make sense because others answered the question before me so I deleted it... :)

Edited by HansaPlease

You don't need a visa to visit South Africa if you have a Aussie passport (that's the joy of that little blue book ; your golden ticket to anywhere in the world!) You will be issued with a travel permit on arrival in RSA.

At the end of the day I'm still South African. I may choose to become a citizen of Australia, but being South African is not something that I think you can throw in the bin nor would I want to.

We will go through the trouble of retaining that part of our heritage that we were born into and are entitled to. We may not always like the system, but the system is only one part of South Africa. Citizenship also reflects all the other parts of South Africa that I would not choose to forego, and that I want the freedom to enjoy whenever I want to without having to ask for permission to enter the land of my birth or being a labelled a tourist when I come through passport control. I like going in the South African passport holder queue, moving through the queue relatively quickly and being told "welcome home" as I go through passport control. Of course, I then get to baggage collection and have to wait 45 minutes for my luggage to finally appear, but that is a different issue.

PS: for so long as I am not disenfranchised by virtue of living in Australia (and I know that last time around it was a bit touch and go) I will exercise my right to vote if I am able to. I have paid lots of tax dollars to the South African government over the years and I want to voice my opinion on election day (even if it is a minority voice). It is what I can do to help my friends and family that I have left behind.

• Like 2

It's very interesting how over the years I've been on the forum you basically have two groups of people; those who hang on to all things South Africa incl the passport, the springbok rugby team, the flag and "Die Stem"... And then you have those who cut all ties, renounce their citizenship, take out all their money, support the wallabies and sing "Advance Australia Fair" with a tear in the eye.

Very few people manage to find that perfect middle ground where it's OK to renounce your citizenship but still support "the boks" without finding themselves caught in the crossfire between those who believe you should hold on and those who believe you should move on...

Whatever you do, do it for YOU as you're bound to upset someone at some point, no matter which way you go.

• Like 3

I never watch the rugby, don't own a Springbok jersey, have never and would never own the "old" South African flag (I like the current South African flag) although I do love biltong. I am slightly offended that I've been put in that camp as I don't believe that I have much in common at all with the people who you infer I am part of. I find it interesting that you have to disown your old country in order to embrace your new one. I know many Australians of European descent who also hold more than one passport, for the same reasons that I would.

I do know the words to Advance Australia Fair and Nkosi Sikhele, I don't sing either with a tear in my eye although I do sing with a sense of pride, I cheered both the South Africans and the Australians during the Olympics, cheer both teams generally unless they play each other (and then get completely confused).

I don't trash South Africa on the forum although I recognise its faults - enough people doing that without me getting involved. I don't praise Australia to the heavens on the forum because I do recognise its faults.

I don't generally share my personal views on some of the viewpoints expressed on the forum as I feel everyone has the right to their opinion and generally if the viewpoint is political I just don't comment.

Maybe in the parlance of the old South Africa I would be called a Soutie as I have very firm ties to my new homeland but still have ties to my old homeland.

I don't see why its a choice of one or the other. We are who we are, we have a heritage, a past and a future. We have all journeyed to this land in search of a better brighter future for ourselves and our children, but it doesn't mean we have to turn our back on our past.

And I do agree with the final statement, whatever you do, do it for you and what you believe in. It doesn't really matter what anyone else says or does, you know what is right for you.

Edited by Sunnyskies
  • Like 3

Sunnyskies, I couldn't agree more with both of your posts... Except I DO love rugby and support the springboks ...and sometimes, the wallabies too...just not against the springboks...but the rest, spot on.

• Like 2