Great Expectations

Johan Swanepoel

I was just wondering...

What did you expect to find in Australia the first time you went there and how did you manage your expectations?

It is a bit like going to see an over-hyped movie, you are bound to be slightly disappointed even if the movie is good. On the other hand if you did not expect much and the movie is slightly good you normally end up liking it. (Hope that makes sense)

Here are my expectations

Clean streets and people having the respect to throw rubbish in bins.

Very little fencing in front of homes.

No or little bars in front of windows.

People walking in the street at dusk, without looking around for scaly characters.

People in the parks. Playing cricket or rugby.

Safe trains and buses. (Not sure if they are clean, that would be a great bonus)

Traffic? Not sure. Traffic is traffic I suppose

No trucks on the road that run sideways like a big ocean crab.

The city is probably very big, but getting around should be pretty easy.

Lots of outdoors things to do.

No window washers at traffic lights, that spray your car from about 100m away before you can decline their service.

Basically where you guys suprised by what you found or a little disappointed?

What do other member expect to find?

How did the people, that are there already, manage their expectations?

Are these expectations more or less correct?

Regards

Johan Swanepoel

Edited by Johan Swanepoel

Hi Johan

Great question. I moved to Sydney a year ago and although I had done extensive research I was still surprised by a lot of things even though they were part of my great expectations.

I was and still am surprised at the amount of trees (blue gums) that envelope Sydney I feel like I am living in forest. I was surprised at the amount of water and the many beaches. I have found that alot of Sydneysiders have 3 children and in the mornings in the shopping centres seeing a mom with a double stroller and a toddler (ankle biter) is common (madness).

I thought Aussies would be up there with the fashion trends but I find a majority dress really 80s' so that is a surprise - except the teenagers though. Another thing which I noticed when at the New Years Fireworks and the Mardi Grae was that there are hundreds young people and teenagers in Aus so much so that you really notice it.

Have a great day.

My 18 year old daughter would have been one of those teenagers you're referring to.

When I rang her mobile, all I could hear was the crowd. I managed to get that she was at Bondi having a good time with an American girl she had fallen in with from Uni.

She got on the train back to Newcastle at 1am, taking two and a half hours to do the 180 kms north.

She caught the early morning bus from the railway station to the Uni, 12 kms to the west, and crawled into bed at 6 am.

Needless to say, she was a wreck for Uni next day and cried on the phone to us in Adelaide that evening!

Teenagers . . . . . who wants 'em? :D

I was just wondering...

What did you expect to find in Australia the first time you went there and how did you manage your expectations?

Only answering from personal experience and having lived in Syd & Mel

Clean streets and people having the respect to throw rubbish in bins.

On the whole Aus is very clean and majority of Australians make an effort to maintain this - you will still find your yobbos who do not appreciate the value of picking up or using a litter bin. So dont expect the roads to be paved with gold :D or not to find no litter - like any major 1st world country that problem exists unless you are in Singapore and pretty much if you litter you could get the death penalty (NOT REALLY but close)

Very little fencing in front of homes. Well you wont find barbed wire anywhere and in fact many houses dont have a fence in front - just side and back boundary fences.

No or little bars in front of windows. I myself have not seen any homes with bars, except prisons, police stations and for decorative purpose in houses. You will find the odd fly screen though :(

People walking in the street at dusk, without looking around for scaly characters. On the whole you can pretty much walk where you want even at dusk. However again a caveat here. Like any large populated country there are places (like the docks, dark alleys in city centre, know bad suburbs, desolated/out of way areas etc) that you just should not walk. However again going on my personal experience the past 6yrs. I have never felt insecure or unsafe at any time and felt I had to watch over my shoulder or my wife taking off jewelry when going into city centre in case somebody will try snatch it off her.

People in the parks. Playing cricket or rugby. The parks and open areas are awesome in Aus and very well maintained for all to use. They even have BBQs at many spots with free gas. You press a button and BBQ starts and all you have to do is clean up after yourself.

Safe trains and buses. (Not sure if they are clean, that would be a great bonus) Public transport is pretty good in all major centres whether it be bus, tram (Melbourne), trains etc. On the whole they are very clean - still get the usual grafitti - On the whole pretty safe especially during the day, but again like any major city there are the yobbos and lowlifes who crawl out of their shell at night and want to cause trouble. Sometimes during Mel cup week their are alot fo drunks on the train coming back from the horse races - this is more ot do with over exuberance and consumption and normally not a problem. What you will find on trains at night is they recommend a specific part of train to sit which is monitored. Also again there are certain train lines you want to avoid

Having lived in London and used public transport extensively there and here in Aus - System is pretty good and clean

Traffic? Not sure. Traffic is traffic I suppose No matter where you go in the world this is one thing countries around the world have not managed to solve. Every city in Aus has its traffic problems. To me the difference is the attitude (again the majority - you account account for the odd percentage of yobbos) of drives on the whole on the roads. Most Aussies are pretty law abiding and obey the rules of the road, this includes the max spped limit of 100kms on the freeway or 60km in the suburbs or 40km when approaching schools during certain hours. Drink/Drug driving has not totally been eradicated, but you will not find as many inebriated people on the road like in S.A. Although strongly enforced by law enforcement (Booze buses). Drink driving is especially monitored by your peers and friends. Dont drink and drive as your mates are more likely to pull you up. There is also a points system here so any offences you accumulate points

No trucks on the road that run sideways like a big ocean crab. None of that and because most industries are highly regulated and also vehicles are tested (different from state to state). We were in South Africa in Dec and went down to Durban for a week. We passed a bus and I could see all four wheels from behind - that was scary, especially as the bus was doing over 100km/h. Again I coud not say this never happens, but then it is the exception rather than the norm.

The city is probably very big, but getting around should be pretty easy. I can only speak for Syd & Mel and yes city is easy to get around. Most information centres you can get a map of city which is easy to navigate. Traffic can be tough during rush hour - recommend walking train,tram or bus If in Mel watch out and read up on a think called a "Hook Turn"

Lots of outdoors things to do. This is where Aus is very much like S.A. Plenty of outdoor activities - think of an activity and you will most probably find it here.

No window washers at traffic lights, that spray your car from about 100m away before you can decline their service. I dont think I have ever seen this in Syd or Mel at all. You wont find many folks at traffic lights asking for a handout - in the city you sometmes come across it. Again exception rather than the norm.

What were my expectations? To be honest I did not have many as our move happened so quickly - from start to arriving in Aus was less than 4mnths - did not really have time to think about it and instead of worrying and getting stressed by it - just said lets go see, whats the worst that could happen - we dont like and we come back - SO we went with intention of commiting to stay in Aus for 2yrs regardless. Even before 2yrs was up we made decisin we were not going back. I think the biggest expectation people have to adjust is the expectation that you are going to pick up where you are in S.A. and have all of that from day dot when you arrive in Aus. Overtime you will regain what you had in S.A. and more. For example dont come with expectation that you will arrive and buy a home immediately. For most South Africans who own homes it can be a big shift to all of sudden have to rent and then tend to rush into buying a house. My suggesiton - rent for a while - get a feel for the Australian market - make sure that where you are is in fact where you want to live - understand the Aussie real estate market - for example value is in the land and not house - In S.A. value is typically in the house not the land - main reason being houses are built with wood and single layer brick. This was weird for me - people will buy a house for teh land, knock down the house and build. Although a house may cost say 400-700K - seems like a fortune, but when mortgage rate is only 7 or 8% - your monthly payments are less. If you are one of those fortunate people who had George or Margaret come into do the gardening and housework - that can be a major shock - there are cleaning and gardening services, but they are not cheap labour. You may need to adjust your expectation and instead of having somebody come everyday - you get a service to come in and do a twice monthly major clean. With all the S.A. shops all over - you can nearly get eveything you would have found in S.A. However I would say - embrace what Australia has to offer and look to find replacement products from your local stores as buying S.A. goods can be expensive. It is a nice way to treat yourself - For example there is only one thing I just cant do without and I have yet to find a decent tangy mayonnaise - Cross and Blackwell tangy mayonnaise - a potato salad is just not teh same with out it - so thats our treat. We still buy the odd Ouma Beskuit packet etc, but have found replacements for everything else. Even biltong - my wife makes her own now.

Eventually over time you will recreate what you had in S.A. You will find a buy a new home, you will make new friends. You will adjust to living in Aus and integrate into all that Aus has to offer - opportunity, safety, a future.

Question you should be asking people who have made the move:

Would you go back to S.A. - NO

Would you do it all over again - Absolutely

Rgds

matman

Guest wilna

Hi Julle

Ek wil he my kinders moet kan buite speel sonder dat ek elke twee minute moet kyk waar hulle is.

Ek wil he my man moet 'n gelyke kans by sy werk he vir bevordering. :D

My kinders moet na skool kan kies wat hulle wil doen en nie net vat wat hulle kan kry nie.

Ek wil kan slaap in die nag sonder om vir elke geluid wakker te skrik uit vrees dat hulle weer inbreek. :D

Ek wil kan LEEF en nie net survive nie! :(

As ek in 'n pandokkie moet bly en alles moet opgee wat ek nou het doen ek dit met 'n glimlag solank ons veilig kan wees en die lewe weer kan geniet sonder 'n donker wolk van appartheid, geweld, moord ens. wat elke dag oor ons koppe hang.

Groete Wilna

Edited by wilna

Dankie vir die ingligting. Dit help baie om `n beter prentjie te skep van hoe dit daar kan wees.

Mens sal seker eerst regtig weet as jy daar is :D

en ek stem nogal saam met Wilna. I do not think we back in SA really understand what that safe feeling does for you mental state.

Sjoe! :D Thanks, Matman for the detailed outline - it's very insightful!!

What you have said could almost be a motto for SAfricans wanting to immigrate to Oz: "opportunity, safety, a future". :ilikeit:

For that, I'm willing to put up with the occasional flies & the housekeeping (and all the other initial adjustments).

Hi There,

Good job, Matman!

Talking about expectations and the outcomes: It is always a good thing to take what some people tell you with a pinch of salt. Some people overdo it, and you end up with a distorted picture of reality. That is why I like this forum so much. Most people here are straightforward and truthful. Each of us see things in our own way, and describe experiences form our own point of view. That is why the same experience gets related in hundreds of different ways.

One of my hopes was for equality in the workplace. Being a woman in SA meant getting a lower salary than your male counterparts. I was just sick of that. Boy, did I get a surprise here in Aus! I wanted equality, and that is just what I got. You get paid the same, you do the same job. There is no-one to help you carry the heavy stuff, or to clean up after you. You do it yourself. Don't expect men to open a door for you when you have your hands full, mostly they won't. I am not complaining about it, just stating a fact. I don't mind doing all this, as I feel I am being adequately compensated for it. It is just such a different way of thinking about my job than I was used to.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Dreamcatcher - so how do you feel about being called a "Sheila" ;)

After 6yrs I am now getting used to the whole "Mate" thing - have even caught myself saying "Good day Mate" every now and then. Its like a poor excuse not to remember a persons name. Also obvious when you have not rememberd a persons name and you call them Mate. I still have not got used to a lady referring to her child as Mate - "Mate be careful on those swings" - you have to imagine that being said in a femminine voice.

The challenge I face is that I am a Golf Club Captain with +/- 700members - impossible to remember everybodies name, so Mate starts to get used more and more :blush:

There is another very interesting posting on this same forum about having lived here more than 7yrs. Will add the link because again it is a frank discusison by the poster of their experience from year 1 to year 2 to year 3 through to year 7. When I read the posting I felt that she was describing our 6hrs here. The first 2yrs were tough, however once we had committed to staying and found where we wanted to live and bought a house - from year 3 it all changed for us - one of the things I missed extremely in the first 2 yrs was my golf - all of sudden we are living on a golf course - living our dream. We have not looked back. We took out Aussie citizenship last year and now Australia is our home.

Rgds

matman

Hi There,

Good job, Matman!

Talking about expectations and the outcomes: It is always a good thing to take what some people tell you with a pinch of salt. Some people overdo it, and you end up with a distorted picture of reality. That is why I like this forum so much. Most people here are straightforward and truthful. Each of us see things in our own way, and describe experiences form our own point of view. That is why the same experience gets related in hundreds of different ways.

One of my hopes was for equality in the workplace. Being a woman in SA meant getting a lower salary than your male counterparts. I was just sick of that. Boy, did I get a surprise here in Aus! I wanted equality, and that is just what I got. You get paid the same, you do the same job. There is no-one to help you carry the heavy stuff, or to clean up after you. You do it yourself. Don't expect men to open a door for you when you have your hands full, mostly they won't. I am not complaining about it, just stating a fact. I don't mind doing all this, as I feel I am being adequately compensated for it. It is just such a different way of thinking about my job than I was used to.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Edited by matman

Nice post. I can see how Mate is a convinient cop-out for not remembering names.

It is the same as in SA, that is why I have no problem calling older people Oom and Tannie. :-)

Now that you mention it, matman, no-one has called me a Sheila - yet??? But I think I know what you mean.

On the topic of being called Mate; it always make me laugh. Every time I hear it, I see Leon Schuster's movie in my mind. :ilikeit::ilikeit:

What can I say. Even though I had extremely high expectations of Australia, I am not disappointed, and I love it here. :( It surely has it's negatives, but that is to be expected. Utopia does not exist.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Nice post. I can see how Mate is a convinient cop-out for not remembering names.

It is the same as in SA, that is why I have no problem calling older people Oom and Tannie. :-)

Johan

Thanks for the chuckle - I have not heard an Oom or Tannie in a long time - I remember this used to drive my mom nuts - She was to old to be a Tannie :(

Rgds

matman