Krippeer?

Faithful

Everyone's go to respond when we say we want to go to Oz is that we are going to suffer "krippeer" there!? Is there any truth to that, why is it so many people's idea of living in Oz.

Look I know there is a lot of adjustments one must get use to! Like not having any help in and around the house ect. We have 2 boys to think of and still want to be able to proved best in our ability for them for the future!

It's there way of justifying why they can't go. I don't understand how people who have never been to or lived in Australia can make comments like that anyway. Yes it's not a walk in the park and those of us that aren't there yet are going to have to literally start our lives over from scratch, but in Australia yo at least get paid a livable wage and the services you pay for actually work, the health care system is functional and in many cases a darn sight better (from what I've read) than our private health care in this country.

People who say stuff like that are also jealous that they don't have the cahonies to do what we are doing. As long as you do your part and contribute the community you live in like everyone else does you won't be sorry you decided to go to Australia.

P.S. Welcome to the forum and good luck with the rest of the journey.

• Like 1

dont listen to idiots who knows nothing about australia or emigration or their own country actually - i wouldnt call living in south africa flourishing in any way

Edited by Emille

Be desolate in other words

des·o·late/ˈdesəlit/Adjective: (of a place) Deserted of people and in a state of bleak and dismal emptiness

Verb: Make (a place) bleakly and depressingly empty or bare

Lol, can't think of a better word

Edited by Gl!tter~Sm!tter

@bronwyn&co I tried to google a translation, but can't find a word to describe it like the word krippeer. But it is basically struggling or falling into poverty.

I agree with the statements above and may add, I have found that a lot of those in RSA use google to see what things cost in Aus, they then try and work out what it would cost in Rands and sheesh, they would have to be millionaires to afford to live there. The one item they leave out of the equation is that once you start working in Aus you are earning and paying in Dollars, not Rands.

• Like 2

What the others said above. Plus, people in RSA love to directly convert to Rands, as if you'r a tourist. Thing is, a coffee wont cost you R39 when you live here. It will be a microscopic percentage of what you earn. We are a one income family living in "expensive" Sydney and if I directly convert our income to Rands the many zeros will make your eyes hurt. So its all relative.

• Like 2

From a household perspective sure, we now have to do our own household but you gain so much in terms of quality of living

I put the following together a while ago for the peeps with "Comments" about my wife and my move, it gives a factual breakdown on the differences between Auz & SA as well as the stories of the day when i was putting it together

When i posted it the silence from the peeps with comments was deafening

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/36811-something-i-put-together-on-why-to-go-to-australia/

• Like 2

It is all relative.

If you want to live the most fashionable suburb, drive a flash car and send your kids to private schools then you need to earn really well or you will krippeer.

If you earn a fair income, you can still send your kids to private school or live in reasonably fashionable area, if that is what you want to do.

If you are happy with state education then you have many more areas to live in that are more reasonably priced than what are perceived as the private school suburbs, and you can live well on an average income.

I agree, don't convert into Rands and cry. Get a fair idea of what you would earn in Dollars, then look at the threads dealing with the cost of living and work out a budget in Dollars relative to how you want to live.

I must be honest, before we came I did that and then I converted it all into Rands, as I just didn't understand the Dollars. I worked out that it would be 1/3 more expensive (in Rand terms) than what I was spending in Jo'burg - and after we moved here that was about right - so we trimmed our budget a bit to get it under control but we still live ok. However, that was 4 years ago. Talking to friends and family it appears that the cost of living has gone up a lot in South Africa, but probably not as much in Australia, so it may have evened out more.

Edited by Sunnyskies
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone. I honestly regret telling people so early in our proscess. They are just adding to the anxiety of the whole process!

I prefer to "krepeer" than being shot in the face...

Don't listen to those idiots - you'll be OK

• Like 1

It might be more helpful if you look at buying power, which is probably at 2.50 or perhaps 3, rather than conversion - how many R something costs in SA compared to how many $ it costs in Oz. If a cup of coffee costs R15 in Sandton City and $5 in downtown Sydney, then the buying power is 3.

Most people I know here (Sydney, now the second most expensive city in the world) took about 3 months to make the transition from R to $ once they started earning money in Oz. They were usually good earners in SA, and all have taken a bit of a knock to be here, but they and their kids are safe, and there are no "hidden taxes" like paying for medical, security, schooling, etc on top of income tax.

Here you can see your tax money at work. The parks, pavements and beachfronts are clean and maintained. There are play areas with swings, slides, etc, for kids. The roads aren't potholed, etc. All the big things work - the health and education systems, law and order, public transport, etc.

Although Australia might look the same as SA in many ways, it is also very different - it is probably more like the UK in many respects.

• Like 1

Reading Magic's post makes me really realise how seriously they rip us off here. Shocking!!! Pay tax on tax on tax for no service in the end anyway :o

That's why I love to look at the facts - it takes the emotion out of it and leaves you with only the truth...

Biggest shock for me was going into a supermarket here, loading up on bread, milk and a few tins and it cost LESS THAN $20 ...... :ilikeit:

Soon got used to that, though.

You might mention to your helpful friends that there are far fewer beggars in the street here, which I suspect means that fewer people are starving, but then, I'm not a social scientist, so it may mean that they choose to starve away from the sight of their fellows. :whome:

Edited by OubaasDik